Forward Control?

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

Mug
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93xlt

Forward Control?

Post by Mug »

Was just browsing the WaFire website and found a pic of the Gosnells ICV.
It had "Forward Control Unit" splashed across the side. Any idea what this means?
http://wafire.fotopic.net/p37927100.html
¡¡¡ʎɐq-ǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq oʇ ƃuıoƃ ɯı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Re: Forward Control?

Post by meg »

As far as I know it means the same as Incident Control Vehicle. Don't think it's really got a separate definition but happy to be corrected if anyone knows more!

Mug wrote:Was just browsing the WaFire website and found a pic of the Gosnells ICV.
It had "Forward Control Unit" splashed across the side. Any idea what this means?
http://wafire.fotopic.net/p37927100.html

WARSUG FESA and Scanning Special Events moderator
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

Forward Control Point these days is more about the 'place' rather than the 'vehicle', though we usually just call it the 'Control Point'. FCU, MCU, FCP etc are names that were used alot in the past before ICV came about.

and, I believe the vehicle in the pic was the Cockburn's (based at South Coogee), not the Gosnells one.. it's apparently now at Serpentine-Jarrahdale?
chrissss

Post by chrissss »

Fastlane wrote:Forward Control Point these days is more about the 'place' rather than the 'vehicle', though we usually just call it the 'Control Point'. FCU, MCU, FCP etc are names that were used alot in the past before ICV came about.

and, I believe the vehicle in the pic was the Cockburn's (based at South Coogee), not the Gosnells one.. it's apparently now at Serpentine-Jarrahdale?
correct :)
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

On one of the many courses I've done, (I believe it was Maintain Safety at a Fesa Incident scene) the idea of the Forward Control point was to have a marshalling area from which to dispatch teams. The command Incident Management Team would be located in a nearby location.
For example A search being run out the back of a police station, there is an ICV with Operations, Planning, Logistics, and Incident controller officers, and maybe small teams under them such as a comms team. 20 metres down the road is a park, all crews are told to report to the park and send only the team leader to the control post. This area would be designated as the forward command post, depending on how the IC wants the incident run they might have Logistics at the FCP if they wanted etc.
Anyone that went to the rockingham storms earlier this season would have seen the split setup, Comms I believe was operating from within the bus, and Operations were working in the unit Ops room.
As fastlane pointed out though, not something that's very common, certainly I've only seen it twice.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
kylep
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by kylep »

Going back several years, the BFB term for ICV was FCU or FCV - Forward Control Unit/Vehicle, and WAFB used MCU - Mobile Control Unit. I think it was around 5/6 years ago that alot of common terminology across Australia was brought in, and alot of callsigns in WA were changed. This is around the same time BFS dropped 'Fast Attack' for 'Light Tanker' and FRS 'Medium Tanker' became 2.4U and so on.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Listening to the FESA stream you sometimes hear the term Medium Tanker being used.
kylep
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by kylep »

Yeah, was in the car with one of the more experienced SO's the other day and he was talking about Medium Tankers, I thought it was interesting to note.
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

I think DEC still refers to their LTs as Fast Attack, crew cab 2.4/3.4 as Gang Truck and Single Cab 3.4/4.4 as Heavy Duty.
wasaint
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by wasaint »

dlcat1 wrote:I think DEC still refers to their LTs as Fast Attack, crew cab 2.4/3.4 as Gang Truck and Single Cab 3.4/4.4 as Heavy Duty.
there l/Ts are called light units
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

wasaint wrote:there l/Ts are called light units

Thanks wasaint. Theres a few people I know that still call them that but I now know what to call them.