Bridgetown Fire

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

BuddahFRS
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: Bridgetown Fire

Post by BuddahFRS »

Bobby wrote:Does anyone have any info on how close this fire got to Greenbushes? I have family there and have not been able to get in touch by phone. Received a message overnight suggesting things got pretty bad there, and that they have no power for the next few days.
http://www.dec.wa.gov.au/images/stories ... 7_1030.pdf

almost lost bridgetown. lucky guys.

also the FRS strike team that went down meet at armadale station, but Armadale 2nd did not get a call to go to the party but everyone else did. strange???
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

BuddahFRS and others,

Nope, stopped just south of Greenbushes Mine
Take a look at Sentinel and click all the NOAA fires by Date to get an overview.

Fire got into the semi urban interface area NW of Bridgetown, look on Google Earth if unfamiliar, but not the town proper.
BuddahFRS
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by BuddahFRS »

isnt that what the fire map shows???
Bigfella78

Post by Bigfella78 »

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0 ... 61,00.html

more bad news for bridgetown. A second fire.
treeny
150+ posts
150+ posts

Second Bridgetown Fire

Post by treeny »

Second Bridgetown/Greenbushes fire is located approximately 10km W of Greenbushes. As the Perth Now report says it is in very hilly country making it hard for ground crews to contain it. Water bombers are being used to assist ground crews. Latest weather observations for Bridgetown show winds coming from the S.
wasaint
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by wasaint »

Hey Guys this second fire is seperate to the Bridgetown one this one is located along the Nannup -Ballingup Rd were the Lowanna Cottages are located just south of Wrights Bridge .
this is were the light car club hold the lowanna rally it is very steep and pine plantation country we wer camping there about three years ago when a lightning strike started a small fire and it took of so i would hate to be there.
just heard Rick Snewajaut on ABC radio saying that cant keep up with this fire and it is not looking good at all they cant get access to a lot of it and the water bombers are not having much effect on the main front

Well look out to peoples on this one i hope they have some luck with it.
treeny
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by treeny »

i take it the southerly is pushing the fire northwards towards balingup nannup road?
Sinbin

Post by Sinbin »

i believe this was the one i was on standby for today.....
at 1700 crews were starting to be stood down from this incident. the smoke has cleared alot since then so i would imagine that it is under control down there.
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

I've just got back from Bridgetown.

The original Bridgetown fire is pretty well all at patrol stage now. Several flare ups during the day but nothing that DEC, BFS/FRS the industry brigades etc, couldn't handle. Should also mention Bridgetown Shire which did a great job of keeping the water up. I lost count of how many units were on the fire, pretty fluid during the day.

The Lewanna Fire really raged for a while but looks like it will be contained at least on the problem sides by tomorrow morning. Many Dozers and DEC trucks on flatbeds heading south on the way back. No news on cause yet but the usual candidate would have to high on the list.