Bridgetown Fire

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

treeny
150+ posts
150+ posts

Bridgetown Fire

Post by treeny »

On Thusrday January 15, a fire broke out in 10km NW of Bridgetown. As temperatures soared and winds picked up on Friday, the fire started to creep towards the town. Brockman Highway between Nannup and Bridgetown was closed due to spotting on the side of the road. Also the road between Bridgetown and Boyup Brook was closed and eventually the Southwest Highway (unconfirmed where closed)

Fire and Emergency Services Authority South-West regional director Greg McKay said 80 firefighters would work to mop up the bigger fire, but today’s hot, breezy conditions would make the job difficult. “There is a hell of a lot of work to be done today … in some very rugged country over the Blackwood River,” Mr McKay said. “At this stage they are secure, but that is obviously depending on conditions today. The forecast is not fantastic.” (www.thewest.com.au)

By mid afternoon on Friday it looked as if the town was under threat as the fire was moving at a rapid pace. At this point the fire had ripped through over 400 ha of bush. Late on Friday afternoon the winds changed and came from the SW.
melg

Re: Bridgetown Fire

Post by melg »

I just read on Perth Now that they have lost three houses
treeny
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by treeny »

thats correct. houses and sheds have been lost. i think its 3 houses and 8 sheds
treeny
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by treeny »

Firefighters from as far north as Geraldton and as far south as Albany have converged at the Bridgetown Agricultural Society showgrounds where the fire is being managed by DEC. Possibly 4 houses lost now. Fire is held in containment lines on the southern, western and eastern flanks. Northern containment line still being secured.
treeny
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by treeny »

No more posts are expected the this event
Nick
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Nick »

I got a bit of a shock driving through down South West highway first thing this morning and finding that a house on the corner was just smoking stumps and several sheds were missing that were there when I left yesterday. The normally well grassed areas were all gone. Driving up Hesters hill and seeing the fire had got into the pines on the eastern side and cleared the western side was a sombre site. Thank god these people were prepared. The proof of the stay and defend message was evident with some houses completely surrounded by black terrain right up to the green grassed area immediately around the house and not a mark on the asset.
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

Just been notified that it has been drizzling on some parts of the fireground. Still a heap of mopping up and damage estimation to do though.
treeny
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by treeny »

Well after the fires in 03/04 the towns people were well prepared and knew exactly what to do. I was down at my grandparents 2 weeks ago and i took the initiative to move the firefighter up from the shed to the house. I'm glad i did because it was there ready to go. The firies even came up and topped it up for them, just in case. Congratulations and thank you to all the firies that were down there helping with the efforts. Very much appreciated.
SmashedXR6T

Post by SmashedXR6T »

i heard there was a FRS strike team from perth sent down to this, does anyone know what brigades?
wasaint
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by wasaint »

SmashedXR6T wrote:i heard there was a FRS strike team from perth sent down to this, does anyone know what brigades?

Roleystone/ rockingham 2nd/Guildford/ bassadeen 2nd and not sure who else went
Smithy
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Smithy »

Baldivis are also going down
which means im assuming other brigades from south metro eg. oakford serpentine and so on will be going down maybe.
unsure on those details
Bobby
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Bobby »

Does anyone have any info on how close this fire got to Greenbushes? I have family there and have not been able to get in touch by phone. Received a message overnight suggesting things got pretty bad there, and that they have no power for the next few days.
wizzard

Post by wizzard »

Bobby wrote:Does anyone have any info on how close this fire got to Greenbushes? I have family there and have not been able to get in touch by phone. Received a message overnight suggesting things got pretty bad there, and that they have no power for the next few days.
from what i can remember of seing of the map this morning, it crossed over southwest highway near halls road (just north of hester hill) and headed towards greenbushes boyup brook road in catterick. was going to take a photo of the map, but i say roughly 7km from greenbushes
Bobby
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Bobby »

So you dont think the fire actually hit the town? That comes as a massive relief....
wizzard

Post by wizzard »

Bobby wrote:So you dont think the fire actually hit the town? That comes as a massive relief....
nope, as they were having a community meeting in the town at 11am this morning, fire kinda went NE and not north, if it did go north, would have gone straight through the town. so ended up inbetween the two towns