Turnout discussion

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

Jonesy
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBCT9, Tait 2020/8200, GME 80Ch UHF

Re: Turnout discussion

Post by Jonesy »

This is one of those topics that can go round and round for ages :)

There would also be merit in saying that why respond an LT to a DBA?? In the case of Perth, why not make DBA callout Perth 1st Pump and Perth 2nd Pump and leave the LTS behind unless required?? Idk?? There are that many different scenarios, this could go on forever.
johnny99

Post by johnny99 »

The reason they dont leave LTs behind is that for out stations who have them(Perth doesnt normally except maybe in summer)they quite often get redirected to another job before returning to station (especially in summer.).
As for normal road and firecall to DBA's. As has been stated a lot of public buildings are 2 pump turnouts. The closest pump firecall and the next pump normal road until it is either stood down or told to proceed firecall. This way if it is needed it is on the road and the crews are already dressed
chrissss

Post by chrissss »

perth usually only has one lt through the winter months,often you just see perth 1st 2nd or 3rd pump on its own racing through traffic to dba's
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

The light tankers I've only ever seen used in Summer for attending bushfires, I believe the LT would be kept on station so that currency on the appliance can be maintained and also used as a backup if Kings park goes up in smoke before the other pumps and LT's arrive.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

The light tankers are also used for transferring foam concentrate @ large (structural) incidents.
Jonesy

Post by Jonesy »

slime wearer wrote:
smithy wrote:

the key word in this was hazmat SPILL
not hazmat FIRE
In a FIRE rocky 1st,2nd and hope valley will require a water source somehow, so im assuming our 9.2 and 4.4 will be asked to assist and possibly kwinana sth4.4 and other high quantity water carriers in the area IF NEEDED

we have nothing for a spill

hope this clears a little bit up for you guys, if someone knows more please correct if im wrong
cheers

I take it nobody has heard of relay pumping and quick please tell me which BFB has had hasmat training
Sorry guys if you are lost, but copied the above quote from a fire report thread so did not want to go off topic in there, but could not just let this one be.

1. No we have not heard of relay pumping, maybe you could give us an insight on how to do it, what it is, where do we learn!!! What do you think smithy was talking about; water tankers there for water support, ie to pump water to the FRS guys, ie to deal with the incident.

2. If BFS there for water support only, as stated, then the wont deal with the hazmat at all. Basic training tells us that if it is hazmat, we are there for support only and to stay well away. We are taught that. We act in the offfical capacity only. Like the salvos at our fires, they are not taught how to fight fires but they are there to support us with our needs. Want me to continue, or get my drift?? When will this end.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

Relay pumping (using a pump/pumps mid-way to relay water from a water source/hydrant some distance away) is one thing however, you'll find outlying areas don't have hydrants at all so relay pumping is not an option for supplying water.

Even where hydrants are located, BFB vehicles HAVE been called to Hazmat incidents in the past to supply water due to the water main in the area being overwhelmed. Many BFB appliances carry a heap more water than any Fire & Rescue appliance does.

Post edited by Moderator - let's keep it nice all...
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Jonesy wrote:1. No we have not heard of relay pumping, maybe you could give us an insight on how to do it, what it is, where do we learn!!!
Ask your Captain to approach your Area Manager to train your crew in relay pumping.

Now can we please get this thread back onto topic - ie turnouts.
Jonesy

Post by Jonesy »

WPXZBP wrote:
Jonesy wrote:1. No we have not heard of relay pumping, maybe you could give us an insight on how to do it, what it is, where do we learn!!!
Ask your Captain to approach your Area Manager to train your crew in relay pumping.

Now can we please get this thread back onto topic - ie turnouts.
It was a joke, I thought everyone knew what it was.... Yes, back on topic now
Toottoot
Banned

Post by Toottoot »

Tyranus wrote:The light tankers I've only ever seen used in Summer for attending bushfires, I believe the LT would be kept on station so that currency on the appliance can be maintained and also used as a backup if Kings park goes up in smoke before the other pumps and LT's arrive.
KP&BGA have their own LTs that would be first on the scene.
treeny
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by treeny »

i was reading back though the forum as i hav been away for a while, and i thought i'd put my 2 cents in about the pumper turnout to DBA's. It is much easier to have the backup pumper/s en route than to have to send backup from a station. It all comes down to response times. its easier to send an en route pumper back to a station than to have to call them from a station.
MELVILLE 80
The worst in nature brings out the best in us! STATE EMERGENCY SERVICE WE SERVE
AVBFS
Scanners and Receivers: UBCT9

Post by AVBFS »

treeny wrote:i was reading back though the forum as i hav been away for a while, and i thought i'd put my 2 cents in about the pumper turnout to DBA's. It is much easier to have the backup pumper/s en route than to have to send backup from a station. It all comes down to response times. its easier to send an en route pumper back to a station than to have to call them from a station.

BY GOLLY HE'S GOT IT!!! LOL
:mrgreen:
treeny
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by treeny »

i dont get y ppl were having such a hard time grasping it in the 1st place
MELVILLE 80
The worst in nature brings out the best in us! STATE EMERGENCY SERVICE WE SERVE
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

Toottoot wrote:
Tyranus wrote:The light tankers I've only ever seen used in Summer for attending bushfires, I believe the LT would be kept on station so that currency on the appliance can be maintained and also used as a backup if Kings park goes up in smoke before the other pumps and LT's arrive.
KP&BGA have their own LTs that would be first on the scene.
Heard Daglish made it on first to scene with the latest bush fire
I've closed the door!
nra555
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by nra555 »

LTs can be used for relay pumpin anywhere, in a FRS or BFB callout.... nothing wrong with having them supporting a MP at a structual fire is there? idk...

as for the turnout if your business premises was on fire would you prefer backup to be at the station or half way to the job about to upgrade to firecall?
PRC-555
NRA-555

nra.org.au - join today to make UHF CB a more enjoyable band to use!