Carson Helitank

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

Ausrob
150+ posts
150+ posts

Carson Helitank

Post by Ausrob »

Is the Carson coming back this year?

I've been watching the LA fire's on KNBC 4 in Los Angeles (great coverage by the way live all day) and they have the Skycranes and jet planes that deliver payloads very effectivley. I've got a bad feeling about this year :(
Cows moo over the rainbow
jasonjag
Banned

Re: Carson Helitank

Post by jasonjag »

Ausrob wrote:Is the Carson coming back this year?

I've been watching the LA fire's on KNBC 4 in Los Angeles (great coverage by the way live all day) and they have the Skycranes and jet planes that deliver payloads very effectivley. I've got a bad feeling about this year :(
My Last visit to Helicopters Aust said the Carson would be here in November jj

Edit: and 3 choppers are currently in Queensland for thier early fire season and will be back in Perth by end of Nov re fitted for Perths fire season, the others that have been fitted with Calm fire dropping lighters will be re fitted for water bombing also in Nov. jj
Last edited by jasonjag on Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Re: Carson Helitank

Post by Tyranus »

jasonjag wrote:
My Last visit to Helicopters Aust said the Carson would be here in November jj
Fantastic!
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
SamW

Post by SamW »

We may need them before the end of November.
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

I think FESA may call a early fire ban this year which could also mean that we would lack the choppers, but Dunn's should be able to get some fixed wings up for us.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

Helitak_670 wrote:I think FESA may call a early fire ban this year which could also mean that we would lack the choppers, but Dunn's should be able to get some fixed wings up for us.
These aren't up to FESA. Restricted and Prohibited times are set by Local Govt.
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

Well, ok then Perhaps our Local and State governments will amend the Fire Danger period, especially after todays fires and the dryness of the bush, which seams to me has dried out a lot quicker than normal. The bush at my place doesn't have much FMC in it.
jasonjag
Banned

LA Fires

Post by jasonjag »

Ausrob wrote:Is the Carson coming back this year?

Every year they have big bad fires there,although very hilly, why do they not burn off and cut wide fire breaks in late winter early Fall (Autumn) in advance. and I agree with Ausrob, think we are in for a bad time after todays numerouse fires, I think most were delibetly lit ?.. jj
wasaint
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by wasaint »

In relation to Early fire season the state gouverment can declare a fire ban in certtain areas if it feels there is the need for it they can overide the local councills
AVBFS
Scanners and Receivers: UBCT9

Post by AVBFS »

ok enough with the political bull!!
:mrgreen:
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Fastlane »

AVBFS wrote:ok enough with the political bull!!
What a worthwhile post..
BuddahFRS
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by BuddahFRS »

Dont need to worry to much about when the helitacs will be here or not hey, just remember that we still can put out fires before helitacs, it was a bitch but we still did it hey
----BUDDAH VFRS----
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Fastlane »

BuddahFRS wrote:Dont need to worry to much about when the helitacs will be here or not hey, just remember that we still can put out fires before helitacs, it was a bitch but we still did it hey
exactly! back in those days with the fire beaters... (kidding!)

its a good point to be made though.. we have the helicopters and fixed wings that do great work for us.. but remember, they are not always available!