W.A Fire Appliances

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

kylep
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by kylep »

You guys are funny. There are images of the new 2.4U on a couple of sites. You can view them at www.ozfire.org or if you're lucky, you might find them on another site. Both coutesy of me, and have been there all year.
soloman
Banned

Post by soloman »

kylep wrote:You guys are funny. There are images of the new 2.4U on a couple of sites. You can view them at www.ozfire.org or if you're lucky, you might find them on another site. Both coutesy of me, and have been there all year.
Your so good to us. However can we thank you?
Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Post by Infernal »

WPXZBP wrote:Next - the Light Pumper. Initially built to replace the old Bedfords, the Mazda Light Pumper was the mainstay of VF&RS Brigades all over the state. 1000L of water, not able to pump-and-roll, it was designed for town work and not mobile bush fire fighting. These appliances are being phased out - 2.4U, 3.4U, HSR or country pumpers are taking its place.

The Merredin Light Pumper (LP-093)
I remember when i first moved to Merredin back in 1997, and first seeing the merredin fire truck, cam to a bit of a shock, such a big town (bigger then the one i just moved from) with such a small fire truck.

Originally from a town called Roxburgh in the land of the long white cloud, and out fire truck at the time was a big International Acco

I have 2 Uncles in the NZ fire Service, both Volunteers
wascanner

Post by wascanner »

was looking at this site

WAVFRS Association - Appliances
http://www.frsvols.asn.au/AppliancesAug06.htm

and noticed that the HSR is now in single cab and crew cab form

HSR (Hazmat, Structural Rescue) either 4x4 or 2x4 ONLINE

what does the HSR single cab look like then and what differences are there between it and the crew cab HSR
AVBFS
Scanners and Receivers: UBCT9

Post by AVBFS »

i thought that since theres no white 2.4U's on here i'll put one on here..

:mrgreen:
firie163

Post by firie163 »

Apart from the obivious, the single cab HSR (GPA) could only carry 3 crew,however it did carry 2000lt of water. I believe there are only 5 of these vehicles left. The dual cab water capacity is reduced to 1800lt. The newer version of the HSR comes only as a dual cab and has a mid mounted pump and a urban locker set up similar to the later scania urban pumps. All HSR's are 4x4 there has never been a 4x2 built. :)
munchkin1981
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by munchkin1981 »

AVBFS wrote:i thought that since theres no white 2.4U's on here i'll put one on here..

im gonna sound stupid here but ...... where is alanson bfs?
It wasn't me honest.....it was the cat I'm sweet and innocent one :)
AVBFS
Scanners and Receivers: UBCT9

Post by AVBFS »

munchkin1981 wrote: im gonna sound stupid here but ...... where is alanson bfs?
5km west of Collie on the coalfilds Hwy :)
:mrgreen:
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

AVBFS wrote:i thought that since theres no white 2.4U's on here i'll put one on here..
Maybe the initials BRT might give you a hint? :wink: :lol:

I didn't have any pics of white ones, hence no pics of them.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Career 1.4

Post by Tyranus »

Well back to the BRT's! No doubt some little person somewhere is wondering...what ever happened to that career 1.4 that got made.
Well I discovered yesterday after being behind a BRT that said FIRE I thought was Midland, then I saw the tank so I thought it was a VFRS like Mundaring or Country even, then I thought no it's DEC. Then I gave up thinking because I was catching up and it was quite obvious it was a BRT truck not DEC. Then I discovered it was the 1.4 which is based at...Midland! They were headed out to Mundaring under normal road conditions. I then had to turn so didn't see much more than that.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
chrissss

Post by chrissss »

forgot to say,that on the radio a techie was at midland waiting to look at there 1.4 about 2 days ago
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

For those interested in the differece between CLP1 (Perth) and CLP2 (Freo), i have created a thread with pics to compare.
http://warsug.info/phpbb/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
scrounger

Old M/T replacement 2.4's, [UT79]

Post by scrounger »

I found this site [surfing] and was interested in the comments and information on some of the posts. One area that I can help a bit is on the career fire fighters new replacement 2.4 units [UT79] for the old medium tankers that they use. The CFRS people use the old MT's almost exclusively in a bush fire wild fire role and rarely hard stand fire fight with them so the unit requirements are specialized and relatively simple, much like a FESA 2.4 Broad acre application, [it might have an urban badge but it is quite unlike the typical current urbans]. The CFRS guys researched stock versions of the trucks and found they preferred the Hino, [earlier 5Z] also Hino will supply more or less any tyres you want, [e.g. Super singles for sand]. They then decided on the equipment needed, most important was an independent pump of adequate capacity, 31 hp vanguard and gaam mk250 pump, [more than adequate, many times the capicity of the old M/T's being replaced] to operate the fitted and normally used fire fighting gear onboard, After testing a standard urban 2.4 with live drive pump it was found to be totally unsuitable for the actual work they do ergonomically and practically. The live drive offered no worthwhile advantage over independent pump, It also was uncomfortably noisy [whined] and was difficult to maintain good pump discharge pressure in the rough and tumble off road fire fighting work, [bear in mind this is the main job of the M/T's]. the driver now had two jobs as the truck motor revs had to be kept high enough for good pump pressure at the monitor while fire fighting, this is frequently impractical. Also a major concern was if the truck motor stalled or failed you could be in dire trouble as you then had no pump and could be at risk of being burnt, the small back up pump then fitted to live drive units tells the story, although not sure they would want to have to rely on it as it is a bit light on and the chances of it reliably starting every time at 100% output are probably slim. Operationally a big turn off was when blacking out the fire ground as the driver had to constantly maintain engine speed for the hose reel man instead of being able to crawl along at idle revs in low range first gear as is the norm in the independent pump units, this makes an easy job more drama as they do allot of this, it all adds up at the end of the shift. I supose you could say the new units are a complete update of the old units that have proven very suitable historicaly and dont need major change. They are for all intents and purposes not unlike the mid 1990's bush fires board build 2.4's that were very suitable for the high mobility work normaly done by M/T's. cheers
Last edited by scrounger on Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

I think the 1.4 might now be based at Malaga as I was seeing a truck that looked like the 1.4 driving around when I was doing my truck driving lesson. That is unless Malaga are getting a new 2.4, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't a pump. Anyone in the area able to confirm?
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
ace of spades

Post by ace of spades »

Malaga has a new 2.4 and the only 1.4 which is a trial is at midland currently