Major Fires 2007/08 (Bush/Scrub)

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

TheBushFirefighter

Post by TheBushFirefighter »

Helitak_670 wrote:Just seems to me that its coming more common that the FRS guys or VFRS guys are getting to attend a lot more incidents than the BFS guys.

You have East and West Gidge, Parkie, Stonville, and MT Helena all before Mundaring to Roland/Tooday rd Incident. Mt Helena and Parkie having BA I think. Not to sure about the BA part.
Hey Helitak 670, I am with you buddy, I believe in the Urban / Rural interface that BFS Brigades should be the lead HMA at ALL bush fires.....that's our core business....and FRS & VFRS should be HMA for all structural incidents.

But only the sqeaky wheel gets the oil..............
"Find em hot, Leave em Wet" THE MIGHTY A62
ace of spades

Post by ace of spades »

it also comes down availability. if perms can get there earlier and faster then fesa will look at it as the community is being put first and protected.

Peachy rd looks to be dying down can't really see smoke from my house any more
chrissss

Post by chrissss »

ace of spades wrote:it also comes down availability. if perms can get there earlier and faster then fesa will look at it as the community is being put first and protected.

Peachy rd looks to be dying down can't really see smoke from my house any more
i agree that getting ther faster may well be better but,when u dont sometimes have the knowledge of the area and resources to handle a large scale bushfire,it sometimes would be appropriate to call upon BFBs to assist rather then to struggle to battle it and then wait until the sh*t hits the fan before calling upon the vollies.

My 2c
TheBushFirefighter

Post by TheBushFirefighter »

WPXZBP wrote:Let's keep the policy discussion in this thread please.
Hey WPXZBP, why is it when a Bushy or like minded person gives and asks a resonable question on this particular subject you always stomp on it and you don't step on the trivial woffle about a who's who at a particular fire?

Is it because you are a VFRS person, and WON"T allow an "even keel" approach to this chat room or you haven't seen these issues in your district??

Please advise
"Find em hot, Leave em Wet" THE MIGHTY A62
quindano

Post by quindano »

Hi all.Long time reader first time poster.I think he enjoys discussion but keep it in the right thread.Dont whinge about politics of bfb v's frs and shit like that here.I like to read about major fires and thats why I click here and not the political crap.Just my thought.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Yes I am a VFRS person but that has absolutely nothing to do with it. Our Brigade is in an urban/rural interface as it is.

This thread is about actual fires going on. If you actually looked at the thread I referred to you'll see it is SPECIFICALLY for FESA's policies and procedures.

If you don't like the way this thread is moderated then take it up with the Administrators.

Oh, and a very big welcome to you quindano. :D
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

Swan View Incident.
Perth 2nd
Malaga 2.4
Darlington LT 1, LT2
Helitac 668/9/70/71 767

DEC req for 4 light tankers
Glenn Forrest LT 1/2
Parkie LT
Mundaring LT
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Add Bomber 650 to that too
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

WPXZBP wrote:This thread is about actual fires going on. If you actually looked at the thread I referred to you'll see it is SPECIFICALLY for FESA's policies and procedures.
Thankyou! I know I too sometimes stray from the topic, but please people try to keep this thread (at least) on topic.

The reason I ask this is perhaps best illustrated by my experience returning home from work tonight.

It's 6:30pm, I've had a _huge_ day at work and as my partner and I are driving up Gt Eastern Hwy we can see smoke above the hills but can't see the source. I use my mobile phone to check this thread because we want to know:
a. If our house/street/town is on fire
b. If we can get home up Gt Eastern Hwy or if we should take another route.

So on my mobile I spend about 5 minutes getting this thread to load but there's no talk about the huge plume of smoke that must be visible across a large part of the metro area, just people wanting to vent about why they don't get called to fires.

I'm not saying don't vent, but I really would appreciate it if it could go into other threads.

Perhaps it's just me and perhaps I'm the only mobile web user of the gang, but I do find this forum an incredibly good resource for information on current fires, how they affect me including whether they are sizable enough that I may get called out of area and can start getting my stuff ready to do just that. I'd appreciate if this thread could stay that way.

Thanks all :)
Meg
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

And that, ladies and gentlebodies, is why we have split the "events" from the "politics"...
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

Media reported this morning that there were 5 fires Lit in the swan view area yesterday.
jasonjag
Banned

Fires lit

Post by jasonjag »

VKI allocating cars to youths seen lighting fires in Carine area 4.30pm, whats wong with the youth of today?
philby
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by philby »

Scrub fire alexender heights
details to follow
wasaint
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by wasaint »

Third alarm helitacs not required as yet
philby
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by philby »

got a location?
"hepburn ave need more wapol"

seperate incident - armidale 1st "got a seriously aggrivated person here require wapol"

what right to firies have in relation to this?