Major Fires 2007/08 (Bush/Scrub)

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

munchkin1981
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by munchkin1981 »

does it really matter who goes? as long as the hot red stuff gets put out by the cold wet stuff and noone gets hurt or property damaged that is all that really matters right?
It wasn't me honest.....it was the cat I'm sweet and innocent one :)
SamW

Post by SamW »

Munchkin, yes and no. I can see the point you are making, but a lot of people are wondering why this certain brigade *seems* to be getting turned out all the time, when there are brigades a lot closer to the incident...
ace of spades

Post by ace of spades »

Your exactly correct. The whole idea about zone 2 response is to hit the fire straight away. This means if that the perms say midland get called to these jobs, they may get there first or get there soon after and they may stop the fire with the first arriving BFS appliances so that it doesn't escalate into a major fire though as we all know this may not always be the case.

A zone 2 response is just a basic turn out that incorporates the FRS whether vollie or perm, BFS, Helitacs. I beleive it is a good system in the fact the public can be assured that if a fire is approaching their house there are crews there to handle structural fires.

Also I hear on the radio if comms are getting a lot of calls then they er on the side of caution and send alot of appliances. Hey better to be safe then sorry

On the comment about the perms calling the shots, well hey it is there job, they may have more experience or lets say practice and also they are trained in incident management which can be reassuring to arriving crews if you have a bloke who knows how to task crews and knows whats going on, plus alot of the times the local CFM -(Paid FESA employee) also takes over so it works both ways.

In most cases if its small then the perms will usually leave early anyway to get back to there own area. But as long as the job gets done with little damage to property and the environment then its a job well done and worth it if a few noses are put out of joint
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Let's keep the policy discussion in this thread please.
playworth
Banned

Post by playworth »

:shock:
NJ102 to VKI,where the option button on tadis.
VKI to NJ102,we dont have option button up here
kylep
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by kylep »

Once again people, read up on the SOPs, MOUs, MAAs and any other documents for your area, and for the fire services as a whole. ICS also plays a big part.

Remember, first arriving appliance's OIC becomes IC, and is such until they hand over to someone else. Who it gets handed over to involves many factors: experience/competence & training, agency, role and so on.

Also on Zone 2, it is essentialy a pre-plan for response to a certain area under certain conditions (Very High and Extreme FDI). So you should check on what the plan is for your area, and if a mobilisation anomaly occurs, file a MARS form. No use complaining here about it.
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Fair bit of smoke around the city today - anyone know why?
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
philby
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by philby »

Possible cause is a fire.
:lol:
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

philby wrote:Possible cause is a fire.
:lol:
Umm yeah okay smarty pants - I knew that - okay - Was wondering if it was a current bush fire or not. :P
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
philby
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by philby »

ok now there is
vine road, hern hill
midland, west swan lt, bullsbrook 3.4 , east swan 1.4, malaga 2.4, swan chief,east gidgee 7.2,east gidgee 1.4. west gidee 3.4, bulls brook 7.2

6ar called east gidgee to proceed normal road. they replied negative 6ar!

http://www.whereis.com/whereis/getMap.do?nref=getMap
Last edited by philby on Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

Sounds like a big incident
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

6ar called east gidgee to proceed normal road. they replied negative 6ar!
Can a Fire Crew responding to an incident refuse an order from 6AR to down grade to normal road conditions??
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

SamW

Post by SamW »

Peachy Road x Morrison Road, Swan View fire, i think it was just up-graded to 3rd alarm. Perth Second in charge with Darlington Light tankers there and Malaga.
2 Helitacks on way
chrissss

Post by chrissss »

its in the john forrest national park,sounds bigtime

thats DEC land so they'll be in charge soon probably

dm perth north east in charge

also another level 2 response midland and east swan turning out.

all appliance's turning out from earlier incident to stratton incident.
chrissss

Post by chrissss »

sounds like calms ste[pping up.