Major Fires 2007/08 (Bush/Scrub)

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

TheBushFirefighter

Fire up on mundaing weir road

Post by TheBushFirefighter »

Hi All,

Just got back from fire on Mundaring Weir Rd (pager read opposite # 915), but in actual fact it was at the DELL picnic spot.

I went out as the 6th crewmen on KM 2.4, but was transferred to KM LT6 upon arrival to backfill the DAY CREW vehicles.

On Arrival DEC had 2 x 3.4 (gang trucks) and 1 x loader, 2 x LT( ute with slipon) and all our appliances 6 units.
Fire ground channel CALM 09, and then later CH 46 simplex and also continued liaison with CH 38.

I think I saw helitak 668, 669, and the big sucker 676. Size of fire 2-3 hectres.........any other question just ask, catch you all later
"Find em hot, Leave em Wet" THE MIGHTY A62
donks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by donks »

Tyranus wrote:Donks, spot on mate.
Basically the first digit is the capacity *1000, the second number is what wheel drive it is. So a 7.2 is 7000L tanker with 2 wheel drive, and 4.4 is 4000L Tanker with 4 wheel drive capabilities. A light tanker holds between 500 to 800 Litres. I believe any appliance over 4000L is a 2 wheel drive, all other appliances are 4 wheel drive, don't know about FRS pumps though.
cheers for that Bomber and Tyranus. very interesting and simple system! These numbers are one thing that i have always wanted to know what they mean!

cheers for that!
People call me an "Egotistic Jackass"... I prefer the term "Confident Donkey" --->Donks for short
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Re: Fire up on mundaing weir road

Post by Tyranus »

TheBushFirefighter wrote: big sucker 676.
We get another one? :lol: it's 767
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
TheBushFirefighter

We get another one? it's 767

Gee Thanks Tyranus,

Oops an honest mistake, but Maybe we should call it 747 as it's bigger than a 767.....LoL

I always appreciate being corrected, Thanks again
bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by bomber »

Basically the first digit is the capacity *1000, the second number is what wheel drive it is. So a 7.2 is 7000L tanker with 2 wheel drive, and 4.4 is 4000L Tanker with 4 wheel drive capabilities. A light tanker holds between 500 to 800 Litres. I believe any appliance over 4000L is a 2 wheel drive, all other appliances are 4 wheel drive, don't know about FRS pumps though.
The only FRS appliances that are 4wd are Light Tankers (obvious), The Medium Tanker/2.4 that the career staff have and the vols have the 2.4 & 3.4 Urban and HSR. The career pumps etc are all 2wds.
Last edited by bomber on Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Thanks for clarifying that bomber, what I expected.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

The new HSRs are available in a 2WD format if requested. Country Pumpers and Light Pumpers are all 2WD.
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

Helitac 668-669-767 went off to Mundaring, then 670-671 headed off somwhere else. 668-9-767 came back first with 670-1 following a short time later.
BuddahFRS
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by BuddahFRS »

bomber wrote:
The only FRS appliances that are 4wd are Light Tankers (obvious), The Medium Tanker/2.4 that the career staff have and the vols have the 2.4 & 3.4 Urban and HSR. The career pumps etc are all 2wds.
yeah the perms MP are two wheel drive, but some of them think they can go off road, it usualy dont work to well for them, have seen a few scanias beening towed out due to being bogged, lol
firefly.000

Post by firefly.000 »

Last edited by firefly.000 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
wasaint
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by wasaint »

any idea were rowlands road is as in relation to south west hyw 04 albany hyw
chrissss

Post by chrissss »

anyone got anymore info on this?

chris
bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by bomber »

wasaint wrote:any idea were rowlands road is as in relation to south west hyw 04 albany hyw
Dont think there is a street called rowlands rd in that area. There is a lowlands road in mardella which is half way between baldivis and jarrahdale.
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

JARRAHDALE

DEC fire crews this morning responded quickly to contain three bushfires in jarrah forest east of Jarrahdale. The fires started following a series of lightning strikes overnight.

Water bombers were brought in to assist DEC crews earlier this morning. One of the fires was in an area that had not been burned for more than 25 years but was contained to 6 hectares.

The fires were detected by a DEC spotter plane pilot who carried out an early morning flight over the area as part of the Department’s fire operations strategy when lightening was forecast. This meant the fires could be contained before they developed and potentially escalated as the day warmed up.
TheBushFirefighter

The new HSRs are available in a 2WD format if requested.

Hi All,

Please Don't all jump down my throat with my question.......

HSR ?? is this a Heavy rescue vehicle.......I just heard Secret Harbour turning out to a job with thier LT and HSR??

What is a HSR?

Thanks