Major Fires 2007/08 (Bush/Scrub)

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

From the FESA website. Again, text deleted when it's not appropriate.

Cullacabardee Bush Fire - Issued: Thursday, 3 January 2008 9:44 PM

A bush fire burning in Cullacarbardee between Gnangara Road and Beechboro Road has been contained.

An evacuation point has been established at the Altone Park Recreation Centre on Benara Road for the Cullacabardee community.

A second evacuation point has been set up at the Alexander Heights Community Centre on Linto Way, for residents in affected areas of Gnangara Road should they require it.

FESA was alerted to the fire at 2.32pm today and currently a total of 350 hectares of bushland has been burnt.

Fire crews at the scene include a total of 100 career Fire and Rescue Service and Volunteer Bush Fire Service firefighters in 29 fire appliances, together with emergency service personnel from WA Police, the Department of Environment and Conservation and the State Emergency Service.

Two helitacs and four fixed wing water bombers were used through the afternoon to last light, assisting ground crews and protecting life and property.

Unfortunately one house in Lakefarm Retreat was destroyed early in the incident.

The following roads are closed and will remain so until further notice:

Gnangara Road between Alexander Drive and Lord Street
Beechboro Road between Gnangara Road and Marshall Road.

Fire crews will remain on site throughout the night and into Friday, mopping up and securing fire breaks.

Parkerville bush fire - Issued: Thursday, 3 January 2008 9:34 PM

FESA advises that fire crews are working on containment lines for bush fire burning in Stoneville however it is still not contained or under control.

A small section of fire east of Roland Road is not contained and is burning north of Brindle Road towards Toodyay Road. Firefighters are currently working to contain this section.

There is no threat to residents or properties in the area, however residents are asked to remain vigilant in case the fire breaks out.

An evacuation point has been established at Mundaring Recreation Centre, Mundaring Weir Road in Mundaring for those who are unable to return home.

Some road closures will remain in place through out the night due to a large number of fallen trees across roads.

Approximately 170 career and volunteer Fire and Rescue Service and Volunteer Bush Fire Brigade crews have been busy wit the support of Department of Environment and Conservation, Shire of Mundaring and Salvation Army from 1.22pm, protecting lives and assets, supported by helitacs and water bombers including the Fire King helicopter.

It is estimated 700 hectares were burnt. Unfortunately structures were lost including four houses which were destroyed, several sheds including 1 shed containing vintage cars and other infrastructure such as fences along with livestock and wildlife.
eswife

Post by eswife »

meg wrote:Thanks all for your posts over the last few hours - we've just gotten home (have left the dogs with the parents for now). It's very quiet here which is good!

I daresay there will be some mopping up to do in the next couple of days, at least we got the animals safely out of here for now!

Meg, hope it stays quiet for you, all the best.....
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

meg wrote:Thanks all for your posts over the last few hours...
Hi Meg, glad to hear all is OK. Stay vigilant and look after yourself and yours.

Do you remember John B (ABC Senior Cammo)?? He lives in Hedges Road, Hovea and was getting calls all day from neighbours and family, whilst at the Hopman Cup today. His son-in-law is Parkies' Captain i believe.

See you in Midland some time :)
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

BuddahFRS wrote:Nah its started as a FRS incident brigades first responded

Welshpool 1st
Welshpool 2nd
Canning vale P/lt
Armadale 2nd HSR/LT
Maddington P/LT
Kalamunda FRS l/t
Kalamunda BFB ICV/1.4/2.4/lt?

Call came in at 1:30 this morrning

Fire started on Hartfield road and jumped tonkin highway then jumped hale road, west of tonkin highway

some dammage done to a few cars and shed, dont think we lost any houses, was a bit heptic with the wind speed and changes.
Only the one house damage, just the rear, along with the patio and a few cars it had.

Vehicles when i was there:

Welshpool 1st and 2nd
Canningvale 2.4
Armadale
Kalamunda bfb icv, a lt, 1.4, 2.4
kalamunda
Malaga
Hope Valley
Mandogalup 3.4

sorry bout lateness, i dont have all the time in the world unlike some
Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Turbo »

JG-103 wrote:Only the one house damage, just the rear, along with the patio and a few cars it had.
MLO told me there was 4 houses with extensive damage, possibly 6. As well as a large shed with cars inside.

Amazing that more houses weren't lost - excellent job by all the fire fighters involved.
bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by bomber »

Last edited by bomber on Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrissss

Post by chrissss »

JG-103 wrote:

Welshpool 1st
Welshpool 2nd
Canning vale P/lt
Armadale 2nd HSR/LT
Maddington P/LT
Kalamunda FRS l/t

Fire started on Hartfield road and jumped tonkin highway then jumped hale road, west of tonkin highway

some dammage done to a few cars and shed, dont think we lost any houses, was a bit heptic with the wind speed and changes.
Only the one house damage, just the rear, along with the patio and a few cars it had.

Welshpool 1st and 2nd
Canningvale 2.4
Armadale
kalamunda
Malaga
Hope Valley
Mandogalup 3.4

hmm interesting that mandogalup and hope valley were ther,when ther is numerous vfrs and frs and bfs closer.

chris
kylep
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by kylep »

CHrisssssss, there's little point in getting concerned about who goes to these 3rd alarm and above fires. The comcen mobilise FRS resources to ensure that coverage and crew safety (ie time at incidents + relief crews) can be maintained. This is why you get stations moving to cover other areas. Likewise, it can depend on who the IC is, and which FSMs and CFM are present or contactable, and offering certain brigades for the incident.
Toottoot
Banned

Post by Toottoot »

I think it is interesting to see who attends and who is left covering other stations.
BuddahFRS
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by BuddahFRS »

JG-103 wrote:

Welshpool 1st
Welshpool 2nd
Canning vale P/lt
Armadale 2nd HSR/LT
Maddington P/LT
Kalamunda FRS l/t

Welshpool 1st and 2nd
Canningvale 2.4
Armadale
kalamunda
Malaga
Hope Valley
Mandogalup 3.4

hey didnt know that malaga hope valley and mandogalup where there, they must have been on the other side of tonkin highway.

we (Armadale 2nd) were on hale road, yeah there were a few cars that went up and some dammage to houses, but only know of one house that went up. but yeah there were some hetic times there, but we managed to pull through tho, also i would like to congratulate the perms with there hose layout, approx 15 - 20 60x30 were use from a hydrant to the vintage car building, quiet impressive, but im happy that i didnt have to make all them up. lol
Bobby
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Bobby »

Just heard on 46, all police cars doing points on beechboro road and gnangara road have been freed, and those roads are now open.

Not sure what is still closed though......
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

Few roads up here in the hills are closed. Helitak 668,669,670,671 went out today, S61N stuck on the ground with a defect.
Ausrob
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ausrob »

Helitak_670 wrote:Few roads up here in the hills are closed. Helitak 668,669,670,671 went out today, S61N stuck on the ground with a defect.
Out of interest are you the pilot of 670?
Bigfella78

Post by Bigfella78 »

BuddahFRS wrote:
hey didnt know that malaga hope valley and mandogalup where there, they must have been on the other side of tonkin highway.

we (Armadale 2nd) were on hale road, yeah there were a few cars that went up and some dammage to houses, but only know of one house that went up. but yeah there were some hetic times there, but we managed to pull through tho, also i would like to congratulate the perms with there hose layout, approx 15 - 20 60x30 were use from a hydrant to the vintage car building, quiet impressive, but im happy that i didnt have to make all them up. lol
17 38's from the hydrant to the vintage car club.. I know I counted them. I feel sorry for the poor buggers that had to roll them up. The back of a frs Light tanker (Maddington's I think) was covered in hoses at the control point.
Dosouthwest

muchea fire

Post by Dosouthwest »

good size fire 2 km out of muchea dm north east on the road one dm there and control point sey up