Major Fires 2007/08 (Bush/Scrub)

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

Chicky
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Chicky »

Wow... what a change a few hours makes! Thanks to the WARSUG guys I called (you know who you are :wink: ) for giving me traffic directions after I got stuck in all the calamity of Thomas Road and the Freeway (from Russell/Gibbs Rd) being closed when coming home this evening around 1930.

Chrisss, JG, hope all is good.

Let's hope the mongrel gets what he deserves.... Heard on 6PR that they thought it wasn't deliberately lit as such (considering it was an area already affected the past few days), more that it was 'helped along'...

The helitacs/bombers looked excellent in the sky against the sun that was blazing red with all the smoke around. Didn't get to take pics, as was driving at the time.

My thoughts are with everyone involved. You're doing a top job :smt023
West Coast Eagles
AFL Premiers 1992, 1994 & 2006 and....... ;)
R/Up 1991 & 2005
Since 1987 and still going strong :)
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

Chicky wrote:Wow... what a change a few hours makes! Thanks to the WARSUG guys I called (you know who you are :wink: ) for giving me traffic directions after I got stuck in all the calamity of Thomas Road and the Freeway (from Russell/Gibbs Rd) being closed when coming home this evening around 1930.

Chrisss, JG, hope all is good.

Let's hope the mongrel gets what he deserves.... Heard on 6PR that they thought it wasn't deliberately lit as such (considering it was an area already affected the past few days), more that it was 'helped along'...

The helitacs/bombers looked excellent in the sky against the sun that was blazing red with all the smoke around. Didn't get to take pics, as was driving at the time.

My thoughts are with everyone involved. You're doing a top job :smt023
Yeh i pretty much saved your life.
TheDoc
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by TheDoc »

meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

ah, that's awful :(

They are now saying it is contained (again...)
http://www.fesa.wa.gov.au/internet/aler ... px?id=1407
northeast

Post by northeast »

playworth wrote:for real..??? where you hear that from?>
On Police Mirrabooka channel 21 sent 2 cars to investigate and Fire Brigade was called by complainent, thats all I heard at the time.
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

The Spectacles fire comprises of 2 main fires, christmas eve fire and todays boxing day fire, both most likely to have been deliberately lit, todays fire was definately deliberately lit and police have made an arrest. On christmas eve, the fire ripped from spectacles drive east all the way to Ratcliff rd, some 7km away from the initial starting point, and threatened homes in orelia and some parts of parmelia. Todays fire was deliberately lit, started at spectacles drive, but this time lit on the othe side of the railway line, and also on the otherside of thomas rd, near the shell service station. With todays heat and sea breeze, this ripped in a NW direction accross the freeway and threatened homes in casuarina and wandi. Control point has been at Mandogalup BFB station since 24th and police have done a superb job to block of some key roads to help the fire brigades do their job, big thanks also to the salvation army, who have supplied all of us hungry fire fighters over the past few days, including on christmas day !! Ses did a good job today as well, telling those at risk to put their emergency plan into place. Big thanks to all those other brigades who also have come down to help us over the past few days, as it has been greatly and much appreaciated.

Pics and video from the first day of the fire are now up on the Mandogalup website ( http://www.myspace.com/mvbfb ), with a good video of the carson doing a drop on houses under threat, will have the other one of the helitacs doing a drop tomorrow, unfortunatly no sound as it was taken on a camera. heres a taste of one of the pics:

Millsy

Post by Millsy »

Far out, Busy as day for us.

Came up to thomas road at about 1500....

Got Some insane photo's i'll post up tommorrow. ( Pictures of it the head fire ripping through )

Then at 1800 just as the fire hoped over the northern side of thomas road we had a call from our D/C telling us to stand down turn out to a fire in baldivis.

So we shot back down the freeway - Knocked that on the head.

2000 hours we got resent back to thomas road so Another! trip up the freeway.

But as i said - I'll post pictures up tommorrow sometime.
donks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by donks »

Millsy wrote:Far out, Busy as day for us.

Came up to thomas road at about 1500....

Got Some insane photo's i'll post up tommorrow. ( Pictures of it the head fire ripping through )

Then at 1800 just as the fire hoped over the northern side of thomas road we had a call from our D/C telling us to stand down turn out to a fire in baldivis.

So we shot back down the freeway - Knocked that on the head.

2000 hours we got resent back to thomas road so Another! trip up the freeway.

But as i said - I'll post pictures up tommorrow sometime.
Good work matey! and good job to all the firies out there fighting the fires today. i made sure i didnt bitch about how hot it was, because i knew you guys had it tougher! hahaha

cheers!
People call me an "Egotistic Jackass"... I prefer the term "Confident Donkey" --->Donks for short
bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by bomber »

Did you boys get the donuts that we sent last night ? (wed). Donut king rockingham dropped of around 100 to the rockingham station whilst we were there waiting for the call to help the spectacles ( which didnt eventuate ), so we sent them to the control point for the boys to eat.

P.S Thanks to the guys at the donut king at rockingham city for there generous donations and support. They also did this the other day after we had the big fires in rocky.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

bomber wrote:Did you boys get the donuts that we sent last night ? (wed). Donut king rockingham dropped of around 100 to the rockingham station whilst we were there waiting for the call to help the spectacles ( which didnt eventuate ), so we sent them to the control point for the boys to eat.

P.S Thanks to the guys at the donut king at rockingham city for there generous donations and support. They also did this the other day after we had the big fires in rocky.
Great to see local stores like that helping out in the best way that they can! That's excellent support!
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
chrissss

Post by chrissss »

just went to station to drop gear off
perth 1st pump n lt.canning vale 2.4 numerous light tankers,possibly 10 and also saw a dual cab landrover?no callsign on it.
might go out n do some mop up this arvo if they havent got enough crew.

chris
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

chrissss wrote:... and also saw a dual cab landrover?no callsign on it....

chris
That's possibly Roleystone or Armadale 2nd VFRS' light tanker. I'm thinking one of those two as there was one at the WA Volunteer Fire & Rescue Easter Championships earlier this year and both are heavily involved with competition teams. My hunch is Roleystone.
bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by bomber »

WPXZBP wrote:
chrissss wrote:... and also saw a dual cab landrover?no callsign on it....

chris
That's possibly Roleystone or Armadale 2nd VFRS' light tanker. I'm thinking one of those two as there was one at the WA Volunteer Fire & Rescue Easter Championships earlier this year and both are heavily involved with competition teams. My hunch is Roleystone.
wes its not armadales. Theres from memory has only just been replaced, so would be a single cab
Millsy

Post by Millsy »

Pictures as promised.

wasaint
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by wasaint »

Wes its def not Roleystones iether as im based there and at the moment we have an old lt that has the 2 single flashing lights on the roof and is a single cab with absolutly no suspension it brakes your back every time we hit a bump in it, the dual cab could poss be the one from the training acadamy that the perms have used call back fireys to man