Volunteer firefighter to stand trial for arson

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

Post by 5001020 »

I cant believe how long its taken to get this far. Hopefully he gets the book thrown at him :evil:

Cheers
Jas
ST_DOC

Post by ST_DOC »

Hopefully they will but you know in your gut a suspended sentence is on the way. Makes perms and vollie firies look like raging fire bugs when things like this happens. Its a real shame maybe they should have a more stringent recruitment process for vollies as perms have pyshc assessments already. Maybe vollies should have the same fairs fair i think.

Post by 5001020 »

Yes i agree unfortunately i wouldnt be surprised if he just gets a slap on the wrist :evil: Regarding psych tests i think that would be a bit difficult with around 25,000 volunteers spread around the state. Perhaps a probationary period or such where a member is under scrutiny in the first few months could help in some cases.

Cheers
Jas
Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Turbo »

No comment as I upset some people last time
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Turbo you've effectively commented there, I haven't seen what your opinions are, and as such I'm now curious.
He's been to court a number of times already, a few of our members have been attending as I believe they were some of the ones involved in catching him.

Psych tests aren't fesible or however you spell it...vollies come and go so frequently it isn't funny, and psych tests wouldn't be cheap, if you're wanting one done properly. Most people are pretty trusting when someone comes along and says they want to help out the community as a volunteer, though some might question age, I think that is unfair! I joined the SES when I was 18 and the Firies when I was 19, I'm now 20, and I'm certainly not a fire bug, or anything like that, any psych eval would be nul and void, they'd have established that I'm mad, mainly from acting but also from being a vollie...you've got to be to get up at 0300 when its cold wet and stormy to go put tarps on someone's roof!
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

Those standard psych test dont do much anyways it just comes down to if your suitable or not suitable for a certain type of job answering 130 questions different ways but i guess what can you do not much and just prey that someone notices something unusual and reports it to there captain or what not.

I dont know if wapol or sja still do the standard circle the box psych test i dont know if fesa have any type of test or just an interview.

What happens in the truck shouldnt stay in the truck

Its called the flashing light syndrome

Post by 5001020 »

Yep, thats why i reckon a probationary period, after the first couple of calls someone attends you can usualy tell if someones a bit suss.
Lol i joined BFS when i was 14, and active not too long after that.

Cheers
Jas
Tyranus

Post by Tyranus »

Markmywords wrote:
Its called the flashing light syndrome
Oh yeah flashing lights are cool, but I get to see them every wednesday and most saturdays when doing vehicle checks. But agreed, people should be watched to see what they're like normally, so that any changes for whatever reason are noticed.
Stirling SES
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
Jared
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Jared »

Thats nuts, what an idiot. I have to say im not suprised its a young gun like me. But it gives a bad name to vollies. But im like turbo, im not gonna tell my joke cause it will cause uproar. As for that fella, along with all other crimes, HARSHER PUNISHMENT is needed!
Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Turbo »

Tyranus wrote:Turbo you've effectively commented there, I haven't seen what your opinions are, and as such I'm now curious.
For the record, I said something a long the lines of "It would be interesting to see if the reduced amount of vollies signing up would result in less deliberately lit bush fires"

Unfortunately some people took it as me saying "all vollies light fires" etc
Tyranus

Post by Tyranus »

Yeah, it's quite sad when it comes to having to say things like that, although in some cases it may be true, although I think most of them are just pyro's that can't be bothered putting in the time fighting them but like to see how big they can get.
Stirling SES
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB