No more VSUs?

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

No more VSUs?

Post by vk6hgr »

Hiyas.

It's been ages now since I've heard VSU data traffic on 6AR. While the annoying data transmissions are not going to be missed, does anyone know if this means the MDTs are finally working correctly?
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Re: No more VSUs?

Post by Fastlane »

vk6hgr wrote:Hiyas.

It's been ages now since I've heard VSU data traffic on 6AR. While the annoying data transmissions are not going to be missed, does anyone know if this means the MDTs are finally working correctly?
Haven't heard any career guys bitching about them lately, so perhaps...

All the appliances that had the MDT's had no VSU's in them - they were ripped out, so there may have been a couple that hadn't been done yet, hence why there was still some data traffic..
chrissss

Post by chrissss »

is it possible the decrease of mdt data would be coz its winter or do vsus not make that sound???

chris
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vk6hgr »

chrissss wrote:is it possible the decrease of mdt data would be coz its winter or do vsus not make that sound???

chris
Even during winter there's usually a little bit of VSU traffic, but unlike them the MDTs work on the GSM mobile network seperate from the 6AR radio network.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
Arby

Post by Arby »

VSU's haven't been used for ages... the traffic I believe you are talking about are sel-call tests or actually sel-calls. If this is the traffic you mean, they are usually from BFB vehicles on 6IP which as you are aware is currently linked to 6AR.

8) Arbz
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

Arby wrote:VSU's haven't been used for ages... the traffic I believe you are talking about are sel-call tests or actually sel-calls. If this is the traffic you mean, they are usually from BFB vehicles on 6IP which as you are aware is currently linked to 6AR.

8) Arbz
The largest Selcall user on 6AR/6IP is the Comcen itself - on occassion waking up a career crew that isn't answering their radio or has stated they are available by 'selcall'. You'll find very few BFB's actually use it (if at all) and if they do, they certainly dont on the command network. In fact, only the newer BFB appliances even have Selcall hooked into the siren/lights. Selcalls and VSU traffic sound very different and are very easy to differentiate (and if Gav can't tell the difference, then no-one can!)

I actually heard comment today from a career appliance (pumper) that they didnt have a mobile phone on-board - so still some VSU's about.. ?
Arby

Post by Arby »

I haven't heard the traffic so I'm not sure what people are talkin about. Although I can tell you VSU's are not used, only MDT's. Occasionally someone may say something about a VSU, but thats just force of habit.

Btw they might say they don't have a mobile phone on board, but thats nothing to do with the MDT, thats just saying "you can't call me when I'm in the pump coz I don't have a mobile in here at the moment".

8) Arbz
firefly56

Post by firefly56 »

Fastlane wrote:
Arby wrote:VSU's haven't been used for ages... the traffic I believe you are talking about are sel-call tests or actually sel-calls. If this is the traffic you mean, they are usually from BFB vehicles on 6IP which as you are aware is currently linked to 6AR.

8) Arbz
The largest Selcall user on 6AR/6IP is the Comcen itself - on occassion waking up a career crew that isn't answering their radio or has stated they are available by 'selcall'. You'll find very few BFB's actually use it (if at all) and if they do, they certainly dont on the command network. In fact, only the newer BFB appliances even have Selcall hooked into the siren/lights. Selcalls and VSU traffic sound very different and are very easy to differentiate (and if Gav can't tell the difference, then no-one can!)

I actually heard comment today from a career appliance (pumper) that they didnt have a mobile phone on-board - so still some VSU's about.. ?
SelCalls form part of the weekly check on career fire appliances. Each week we dial the other one up via the radio eg LT will call the pump and vice versa. Usualy we switch to another channel to do this as to not put to much traffic over 6AR.

Some of the standby appliances although have a MDT unit, do not have a mobile telephone to use. I believe that all career metro appliances are now fitted with the MDT although there could be a couple still around, thought I havent seen any recently. Come summer time however when they bring extra LT online during peak periods these wont have MDT's fitted
Arby

Post by Arby »

Sounds good to me...

So as to answer vk6hgr's question, you're right there is no VSU traffic on the network but that's not to do with the MDT's workin correctly, its just not sent out by the system any more.

Apparently the MDTs are working better, but not 100%. I'm pretty sure firefly56 will agree.

8) Arbz
firefly56

Post by firefly56 »

Arby wrote:Sounds good to me...

So as to answer vk6hgr's question, you're right there is no VSU traffic on the network but that's not to do with the MDT's workin correctly, its just not sent out by the system any more.

Apparently the MDTs are working better, but not 100%. I'm pretty sure firefly56 will agree.

8) Arbz
Hey Arby
yes the MDT's are working somewhat better althought they have also been reduced in there function capabillities. When they first came online they were supposed to do things automatically due to there gps capabilities such as switch your location from being on station to off station etc. This does not now occur and function buttons must be pressed to change this status and show you are mobile. Although the VSU's did clog up the radio a bit, at this stage I would still rather rely on them
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vk6hgr »

firefly56 wrote:Although the VSU's did clog up the radio a bit
"6AR this is..." Grrrrrshhhshhhhhhhhhhsssshrrrr. "6AR to unknown callsign, you were cut off, say again. Over"

:wink:
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
firefly56

Post by firefly56 »

vk6hgr wrote:
firefly56 wrote:Although the VSU's did clog up the radio a bit
"6AR this is..." Grrrrrshhhshhhhhhhhhhsssshrrrr. "6AR to unknown callsign, you were cut off, say again. Over"

:wink:
yes very annoying, but from a working point of view atleast you always got your turnout message. Now adays if your off station and you get a job, it often doesnt come through. It is only a couple of minutes later 6AR will ask if you are mobile and you will ask what to. They then resend it. If the MDT's were reliable and did all what they were supposed to do when they started installing them then they would be fantastic