ICOM PCR-1500

A section for forum members to post reviews of equipment they own or have owned.

Moderator: Nafenn

SOL

ICOM PCR-1500

Post by SOL »

A brief over view of the ICOM PCR-1500.
At a later date I'll try and do a more detailed review.
All technical details are available from ICOM.

Where to start? The main reason the PCR-1500 was purchased was to receive PEOS weather satellites and I can say in this respect the 1500 is great. It's one of the few scanners that I know of that comes with a 50k FM Filter which is essential to receive decent Weather Sat pictures.
OK, If your after a receiver primarily to listen to HF then I wouldn't recommend the PCR-1500 or its dual receiver brother the PCR-2500. For the equivalent price you could purchase a Winradio G303i which I own and would totally recommend for HF.
Saying that if your only interested in casual short wave listening then the PCR-1500 should suffice. SSB sensitivity is not as good as dedicated HF receivers.

The PCR-1500 is a wide band scanner and covers .01KHz to 3299.999999MHz (Wow). It has range of filters (2.5k,6.0k,15k,50k, 230k) that you can apply in various modes of FM, FM Wide, AM, SSB and CW.

Sensitivity is fair from 50 to 700 MHz but above 1300 MHz it tapers off dramatically. For me this in not a problem and I don’t know of any thing that high up in the bands that isn’t digital anyway.

Comparing the PCR-1500 to my UBC9000xlt I find reception between 30 and 1300 MHz equal or better. Having many more features than the UBC9000xlt the PCR-1500 is also a lot more fun to use.

The PCR-1500 is controlled from the PC via a choice of thee radio panels. It’s all very neat, functional and easy to use.
Scan modes and frequencies (2600) can be saved to the PC or can be uploaded and down loaded to the radio. This adds portability to the radio especially if you have purchased IC-R1500 which comes with it's own remote control head . All scan files can be easily edited and even exported to excel.

To conclude. In my opinion the PCR-1500 is pretty good value for money depending on what you looking for. There are better radios but you will pay for them.
I’m very happy with the PCR-1500 and wouldn’t discourage any one thinking of purchasing one from doing so.

I would also recommend that if you do purchase an ICOM radio that you do it through an authorized ICOM dealer and not re-seller. ICOM lists Australian dealers.

Sol

NOAA 19 weather satellite pic from the PCR-1500. :shock:

Moderator Edit: Fixed image
Noel Taylor
sher77

Re: ICOM PCR-1500

Post by sher77 »

If your after a receiver primarily to listen to HF then I wouldn't recommend the PCR-1500 or its dual receiver brother the PCR-2500. For the equivalent price you could purchase a Winradio G303i which I own and would totally recommend for HF.
Saying that if your only interested in casual short wave listening then the PCR-1500 should suffice. SSB sensitivity is not as good as dedicated HF receivers.

The PCR-1500 is a wide band scanner and covers .01KHz to 3299.999999MHz (Wow). It has range of filters (2.5k,6.0k,15k,50k, 230k) that you can apply in various modes of FM, FM Wide, AM, SSB and CW.