Help please

News and information about the use of radio technology in commercial or industrial environments.

Moderators: vk6hgr, Zebedee

ozdi2003

Help please

Post by ozdi2003 »

Hi everyone. I joined the forum as I have a teenage boy who is interested in becoming a radio/communications officer. We are living in Perth and I have found it very difficult to access information about courses he could take to help him achieve this goal. Can any of you help me in this matter.

Thanks Di
Jem
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden
Bearcat UBC9000XLT (Base)
Bearcat UBC72XLT (Handheld)
Bearcat UBC760XLT (Mobile)

Re: Help please

Post by Jem »

Hi Di,

I cannot help you with any information but I'm sure many of our esteemed users can.
Welcome to WARSUG
Say hello to Dale for me
Now get back to PRRR

Q
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Hi Di,

There are various fields where Radio Communications officers can work. It all depends on what your son would like to do. A lot of security company's have communications officers who sit in control rooms. From what I've gathered FESA, WA Police and SJA all run in house training for successful applicants, but like many bulk government jobs it's pool selection. Another alternative is of course the Australian Army...or Navy and Air Force for that matter.

If he's more interested in the technical side of things then I think Tafe offer's apprenticeships. He may also be interested in getting into Amateur Radio, that may help him in the long run as he would be able to demonstrate experience operating radio's and should hopefully be eaier to train as there are a number of guidelines that should be followed.

Cheers,
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
westernwedgey
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by westernwedgey »

Just a thought moderators,

Maybe a training sticky for the WAPOL, FESA etc threads could be put together as its often a regular subject and would make it easier for people looking for info like that...i know you all have a lot on your plate, just an idea.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

ozdi2003 wrote:Hi everyone. I joined the forum as I have a teenage boy who is interested in becoming a radio/communications officer. We are living in Perth and I have found it very difficult to access information about courses he could take to help him achieve this goal. Can any of you help me in this matter.

Thanks Di
Hi Di,

Welcome to the forums!

One recent posting that might give your son some extra information is this one: http://warsug.info/viewtopic.php?p=80563#p80563

I'd say contacting the various emergency service departments would be a good place to start, but don't forget other companies that use radios, everything from local councils to taxi companies, couriers, and so on.

If your son is interested in radio in general than as Tyranus said, obtaining his amateur radio licence may also be something he's interested. There's a course coming up very shortly - see here for more info: http://warsug.info/viewtopic.php?f=9&t= ... 577#p80577

There's a number of us here on the forums who are active radio amateurs ... and then there's everybody else ... they're going to become amateurs, they just don't know it yet! ;)

For more information about amateur radio (you may know it as ham radio), take at look at the Wireless Institute of Australia's website at http://www.wia.org.au/discover/introduction/about/
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.