The Recruits

Discussion on TV shows featuring emergency services (RPA, The Force etc) and Media organisations
Schism_
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

The Recruits

Post by Schism_ »

Premiers: Monday 4th May 2009, Network 10 (Australia)

The Recruits is an observational documentary series that follows a group of police recruits as they embark on the long and gruelling journey towards becoming fully-fledged police officers.

With unprecedented access to the New South Wales Police academy and its recruits out on the beat, the series will give audiences a rare glimpse at whats required of the people we entrust to keep the peace and uphold the law.

The series will follow two groups of trainee officers. The first group are student Recruits beginning 8 months of gruelling training at the NSW Goulburn Police College. From fresh-faced 18-year-old school leavers to married men and women looking for a career change, this group of recruits will be put through the ringer to test if they have what it takes to be cops. Well see them leave family and friends for 8 months and well come to understand the personal and financial sacrifice each of them make with the goal of becoming a police officer. Well be with them as they tackle their first fitness assessment, learn how to handle and fire their weapon and perform a textbook arrest. But not all of them will make it. It may be that the financial pressures are too great, or that the physical training is simply too much for them to cope with. Whatever the reason, some recruits will leave the academy prematurely with their dreams of becoming a police officer in tatters.

Sneak Peak! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdiGeU69hDU&NR=1
perthskies

Re: The Recruits

Post by perthskies »

That definitely looks very interesting! No doubt TEN's alternative perspective response to SEVEN's The Force.

Gah why did OneHD have to replace Ten HD though... will have to put up with SD for this one... another show to add to the PVR. :)
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

We (the ABC) did this a couple of years ago with the series "Police Training Academy" based on a group of recruits going through the WA Police Academy. Filmed some of it myself, was good fun working with the Academy. Will be interesting to see how Ch 10 put their programme together.
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
yorky

Post by yorky »

I also saw and recorded the ABC series, very good work on that one! Wish it was longer though, four parts really only just scratches the surface I'd imagine.

The CH10 series seems like its a bigger group, and hopefully a good season with at least half a dozen+ episodes like Bondi.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

yorky wrote:...four parts really only just scratches the surface I'd imagine.
The 'PTA' series was originally produced as a 6x 1/2 hour series, but management in Sydney kept changeing the brief and forced the producers to bring it down to 4. Unfortunately a lot of good stuff ended up on the "cutting room floor" much to the disgust of some of the Perth production unit.
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
yorky

Post by yorky »

Pretty sure some of these trainee's forgot to read the brochure.
perthskies

Post by perthskies »

Man that was some intense viewing... I wonder if WA's academy is up to the same standard?
perthskies

Post by perthskies »

Well I decided to upload the episode on YouTube.. this series has a very strong NSW Police focus on their academy in Goulburn.

Will it beat The Force? :wink:

At Goulburn Police College in NSW, 388 new police recruits celebrate their graduation. After 8 gruelling months of training they're about to hit the beat for the first time. At the same time a group of hopefuls are starting their journey at Police College.

Aired: Monday 4 May, 2009
Channel TEN Digital
8:00 pm to 8:30 pm

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiktRhb0-7k
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eXiiPGUWIc
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbrp3N2fv_s
Schism_
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Schism_ »

Thanks heaps perthskies!! I don't have channel 10 down this way so gives me a chance to see it :D
perthskies

Post by perthskies »

How is everyone finding this series?

Personally I find the academy scenes most interesting, particularly in the simulated exercises. The "on the beat" scenes of the graduates are definitely a lot more jaw-dropping though. :o
yorky

Post by yorky »

I didn't see that chick getting kicked out coming.

#-o

It seems they are showing the people that need improving. I guess making a show on those who are excelling would be a little boring :? Its more of an entertainment show than anything.
woobla1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by woobla1 »

I am really surprised at the lack of calibre in a lot of these recruits.

I am not sure how it works in NSW, but they seem to have a lot of kids with no life experience, no hopers who can't communicate with fellow humans and girls who spend all day giggling. I mean if these people can get in then there is hope for anybody

Don't they do pre employment psych, physical tests for nsw police?
CANT HEAR THE POLICE ANYMORE?
SEE THIS POST: http://warsug.info/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4424