Online News Services

Discussion on TV shows featuring emergency services (RPA, The Force etc) and Media organisations
auntys_eyes

Online News Services

Post by auntys_eyes »

d3funct.q45 wrote:I hate the media... especially Perthnow
(SNIP)
Where are the FACTS - what happened to NEWS reporting agencies giving us FACTS??
jasonjag wrote:I agree with you on where is a real news reporter. all news sources are unreliable in acurate reports.
As a member of the "media" i must point out the following distinction.

Please don't make the blanket assumption that ALL news comes from the same people. Whereas television, radio and print news usually have time to interview people, make phone calls, research details and verify facts, the 'new' trend of Online News is a different matter.

Online News services rely on publishing stories as quickly as possible to trump their opposition, and can probably be cosidered the least reliable of news services. In the race to publish, it is feasible to expect that accuracy may be a casualty.

Please don't get me wrong, with 25 years media experience i am more than fully aware that ANY news service can be responsible for factual errors, misinterpretations, misrepresentations and in some cases straight out fabrictions, BUT, please dont group TV, radio and print with the possibly inacurate Online News.

jasonjag - I do not know you or your personal circumstances, but to an outsider it could appear that you spend many hours of your day trawling through Online News services and posting links and references in this forum. Please consider the possible innacuracies that may be published through these services and that what you post may or may not be factual.
Last edited by auntys_eyes on Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
d3funct.q45

Post by d3funct.q45 »

Unfortunately I will stick to my blanket assumptions.

The media does itself no favours in Australia.

ACA, TT... well, thats just light entertainment.

However, the Australian, the West Australian, and I'm sure many interstate publications, DO have a solid bias on who ever pays them the most.

Im sure there are many talented journalists, however the journalists dont decide what gets published or how it gets published.
http://www.chrishermann.net

Scanning with; Uniden BC61XLT.
jasonjag
Banned

Re: Online News Services

Post by jasonjag »

auntys_eyes wrote:
As a member of the "media" i must point out the following distinction.

Please don't make the blanket assumption that ALL news comes from the same people. Whereas television, radio and print news usually have time to interview people, make phone calls, research details and verify facts, the 'new' trend of Online News is a different matter.

Online News services rely on publishing stories as quickly as possible to trump their opposition, and can probably be cosidered the least reliable of news services. In the race to publish, it is feasible to expect that accuracy may be a casualty.

Please don't get me wrong, with 25 years media experience i am more than fully aware that ANY news service can be responsible for factual errors, misinterpretations, misrepresentations and in some cases straight out fabrictions, BUT, please dont group TV, radio and print with the possibly inacurate Online News.

jasonjag - I do not know you or your personal circumstances, but to an outsider it could appear that you spend many hours of your day trawling through Online News services and posting links and references in this forum. Please consider the possible innacuracies that may be published through these services and that what you post may or may not be factua
In reply to Aunty_eys comment, I do not spend all day trawlling through media reports, I get send by email about 3 times a day "Perthnow" which is the Sunday Times, and in thier stories, true, accurate or false, they have since reported fasley in accordance to the CEO of qantas, that rust was found only in the upper 1st classs seat mountings of that particular aircraft during a March overhaul and refit, but proir to that, Perthnow quotes its a rust bucked, my comment on accurate media was that point of in accurate news item quoted by them, and in a later news released by Qants, contradict that Perthnow story, I have a good idea what is factual and not as have served in the aviation area for some time, so you point is valid and all ive done is post the stories they quoted, in these type of incodences, like you said, its a race to print what some one imagines, thinks before the facts are truelly found out, thanks for your view..

RE read what i said,quote... jasonjag wrote:
I agree with you on where is a real news reporter. all news sources are unreliable in acurate reports.

Point=where is a real news reporter..

Point= news sources are unreliable in acurate reports. = in acurate reports.....jj
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

I take my news from ABC. Generally they have a good reputation for news gathering and dissemination.

I also like the fact they have Media Watch where they point out inaccuracies etc. Even the ABC is not exempt.
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

Thank you both for yours replies and your views, and i appreciate the considered debate.

d3funct.q45 - Whilst i disagree with the "blanket assumptions" view, i more or less agree with your other specific points.

a, The media sometimes does not do itself any favours.

b, Both ACA and TT have credibility issues, and entertinment can be part of the ratings grab. But don't assume 'news' and 'Current Affairs' are always the same thing.

c, It can be argued that the mainstream print media have throughout history demonstrated political and commercial bias.

And your final point is very true, there are talented journalists out there and i have had the pleasure of working with some of them, but they are in fact just a part of the media machine and many decisions are made "higher up the food chain".

jasonjag - I did not intend a personal attack and i thank you for not taking it as such. I assume then, that we are both pointing in the direction that Online News services may, at times, not represent the most accurate reporting.

My intention in replying to the original posts was to discuss the point that, whilst the 'traditional' forms of news (print, radio and TV) are not without their problems and issues at various levels, that the new form of News delivery through the online marketplace, can, due to competitive interests suffer from factual errors and misinformation. The usual reference to the "Media" is a very broad brush stroke that can be applied in many areas, and that a debate on the accuracy and 'news worthynes' of any particular story may or may not reflect on the people responsible for publishing/broadcasting it.

VBFB Member

auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

WPXZBP wrote:I take my news from ABC. Generally they have a good reputation for news gathering and dissemination.
:wink: :D

VBFB Member

WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

auntys_eyes wrote:
WPXZBP wrote:I take my news from ABC. Generally they have a good reputation for news gathering and dissemination.
:wink: :D
Have done for years and, unless something sways me from my current beliefs, will do so for years to come.

It may be prudent for all WARSUGgers to be mindful of what they post in here - make sure what you're posting is factual and not innuendo or untruths.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Wes ain't the only one. A lot of the articles I quote are from ABC news online. It's the first place I go for the news, and it's not usually there immediately which indicates to me a bit more research etc.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Toottoot
Banned

Post by Toottoot »

Yay the ABC is by far the best. Although sometimes the local radio links to articles are broken or not working.

The Australian (and even the West) seem pretty reliable also.