Speed Camera's

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Re: Speed Camera's

Post by Infernal »

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western ... 68e04044e4

POLICE will install WA's first fixed freeway speed camera on Mitchell Freeway as they prepare for a Christmas-New Year road blitz.
nachoman
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by nachoman »

Maybe old news but the cabinet for the second fixed speed camera has been installed Kwinana Freeway southbound past the South Tce exit (near Eric St Como)
yorky

Post by yorky »

I've also noticed covered up signs on the Mitchell southbound. As well as a newly created concrete and power dome platform near Cedric St (which is I think where the news articles said it would go).
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
nachoman
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by nachoman »

Apparently the next two have been installed... Mitchell Fwy southbound before Karrinyup exit and Roe Hwy Canning Vale
TLD11

Post by TLD11 »

nachoman wrote:Apparently the next two have been installed... Mitchell Fwy southbound before Karrinyup exit and Roe Hwy Canning Vale
Yes - the one on Roe Highway Willeton was being installed by crane on Monday morning. Can't confirm if it is flashing yet though! It's in a sneaky position too - at the end of the concrete wall on the on ramp. Camera sign is on the ramp not the actual highway. Reports suggest that Kwinana Freeway Success will have them both ways. Last thursday there was 3 speed cameras set up in a space of 20 metres facing front & back(as the traffic slowed down to 20kph, to cause a jam!) at what maybe is the spot they will installed at. Has everybody noticed that the camera signs are actually no where near the fixed cameras.
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Post by robbage »

I'm told there will be one going up on Erindale Rd at the freeway overpass as well.
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
muzza333
Scanners and Receivers: uniden

Post by muzza333 »

its already up but I'm not sure if it is operational yet
kyeboi
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: UNIDEN UBC355XLT

Post by kyeboi »

Hi guys

can anyone help, my missus got a speeding fine today in the mail, now we don't care about getting out of it but was just wondering if the photo look right? the first pic the box is just behind the ass end of the van. to me the box is set in a weird place can someone tell me if this is right?

KyeBoi

Yanchep VFRS
yorky

Post by yorky »

I'm not sure if this is my eye's playing tricks, but is the left pic a van and right pic a car?

Also I can't see a box on the left van pic? Able to get a clearer photo?
TLD11

Post by TLD11 »

I'm assuming the operator set the box up in that position & the van coming towards the camera wasn't speeding, but it has pinged your girlfriend going the other way for speeding. I wasn't aware that they could pick cars up on "the other side of the road" If that is true, i've learnt something new! I have seen a camera plonked in the "middle" of Tonkin Highway though!
TLD11

Post by TLD11 »

TLD11 wrote:
nachoman wrote:Apparently the next two have been installed... Mitchell Fwy southbound before Karrinyup exit and Roe Hwy Canning Vale
Yes - the one on Roe Highway Willeton was being installed by crane on Monday morning. Can't confirm if it is flashing yet though! It's in a sneaky position too - at the end of the concrete wall on the on ramp. Camera sign is on the ramp not the actual highway. Reports suggest that Kwinana Freeway Success will have them both ways. Last thursday there was 3 speed cameras set up in a space of 20 metres facing front & back(as the traffic slowed down to 20kph, to cause a jam!) at what maybe is the spot they will installed at. Has everybody noticed that the camera signs are actually no where near the fixed cameras.
18 months later & the cameras in Success still have not been installed. Do you think it has something to do with that location - Traffic rarely gets over 50kph there including Weekends!!! Anyone living SOR will know what i mean!!! The camera at Roe Highway Willetton, catches the most apparently of any camera in W.A.!!!
yorky

Post by yorky »

Yes they can definitely ping vehicles going the other way as well as towards it, I've got proof of that from someone I know clearly going the other way to where the camera is (getting rear plate, and front plate of vehicles coming towards it on its side).

So kyeboi is the missus driving the car not the van? Is that the car in the background going away from the camera in the left pic?
matth2004
Amateur callsign: VK6MAH

Post by matth2004 »

They can ping up to 4 lanes of traffic that are moving in different directions i.e. 2 one way, 2 another or 3 and 1, or in this case 1 and 1 etc.

The box looks correctly placed in this fine. From my understanding the box must encompass all of the letters and numbers on the vehicle's number plate to be valid. I've had a friend get out of a fine before with a lifted car because the top of the box was just below the bottom of the rear numberplate and they took the reading off the rear diff.

Also - if you're changing lanes at the time of photo it also invalidates the fine.
Matt
VK6MAH
kyeboi
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: UNIDEN UBC355XLT

Post by kyeboi »

Yes Yorky my missus is driving the car and the picture is of the rear of her car driving away from the camera. I know they can take multiple lanes, I just thought it was odd then the "box" is tuck in the corner of the frame, I would have assumed that the 'box' should be in the middle of the frame.
KyeBoi

Yanchep VFRS
yorky

Post by yorky »

Unfortunately these cameras are a little bit too smart, they don't cost zillions of dollars for nothing, it is very difficult to get out of a ticket with these (unless the operator mucks it up) if you are pinged speeding, its generally valid and most techniques to 'get out of it' due to loopholes and regulations whilst often valid still don't mean the person wasn't speeding.

Although I'm not sure, but a question would be possibly the camera is programmed to track a plate and it creates the box itself rather than a human saying 'the box should be here'?

Makes me think, people with rear plates covered by ropes/bicycle racks/trade trucks with the plate in an odd spot, how they would ever get a good snapshot.