Police courses

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

brad_88

Police courses

Post by brad_88 »

Hey guys do any of yous know any courses like at tafe or something that could help to get in the police force. ive tried so many times emailing the police website but its the same bull shit all the time. cheers everyone
radiohead
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by radiohead »

Yep I know theres at least one course you can do at TAFE- Thornlie TAFE to be specific and maybe at other TAFE's also not sure.

Certificate I in Preparation for Public Sector Employment

My bro did this course, it goes for one semester and they basically train you up in all areas that you need to pass the exams, fitness test and things like getting your bronze medallion (swimming) etc.

Definitely gives you a head start when it comes to selection time compared to someone who hasn't done the course.
TheDoc
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by TheDoc »

ive done the course thru tafe and highly recommend it also look in the west australian in the training sections there is a few companys who run prep courses for the police
radiohead
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by radiohead »

:wink:
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

You dont have to do your bronze medallion anymore to get into the Job.

I only found out on friday myself..
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

Fozzy wrote:You dont have to do your bronze medallion anymore to get into the Job.

I only found out on friday myself..
Would probably still be a good idea...?
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
radiohead
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by radiohead »

Really?
Cool that would cut a heap out of the course then.
Thats what put me off.. and all the exercising they have to do. :lol:
brad_88

Post by brad_88 »

shit yeh cheers for that guys.
hitman

Post by hitman »

The guys on the job that I know all say these courses are worthless and you should stay clear of them.

I've never done it so I can't comment myself. Apparently alot of them actually teach your the wrong things and generally give you incorrect ideas of what the Police force is like.
madmikey

Post by madmikey »

hey brad, I've got a few freinds that have applied, and as long as you can pass the fitness test (they will give you info on what is required to pass this) and have senior first aid, and do lie in the application (make sure you put everything in it... check traffic infringements befor you finish app) i know a couple of freinds that got knocked back because the forgot to put one minor traffic fine down. Knowing you, you shouldn't have to much of a problem though.

You could also try visiting police recruitment in the city.
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

madmikey wrote:hey brad, I've got a few freinds that have applied, and as long as you can pass the fitness test (they will give you info on what is required to pass this) and have senior first aid, and do lie in the application (make sure you put everything in it... check traffic infringements befor you finish app) i know a couple of freinds that got knocked back because the forgot to put one minor traffic fine down. Knowing you, you shouldn't have to much of a problem though.

Police Recruitment is NO LONGER in the city. Everything to do with recruiting is now based at Joondalup Police Academy
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

From memory Edith Cowan offer some Police service degree/diploma
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

I would suggest Paragon Corporate Training, they have all the info you need that will help you get into the job.

www.paragontraining.com.au

One thing about fitness, dont think about how fit you have to be to get in, think about if you fit enough to chase and tackle baddies. Are you fit enough to back up your partner when she is in a headlock on the floor at a domestic.

Coppers need to be fit for duty, end of story.

Good luck
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

Also work on your situps. Its the first thing you need to pass as part of the Physical assesment. If you fail it you get told to piss off and come back when your fit.

I was at the academy on friday speaking with the senior Physical training Instructor he said " It is the most common thing people fail"

Scott
radiohead
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by radiohead »

madmikey wrote:hey brad, I've got a few freinds that have applied, and as long as you can pass the fitness test (they will give you info on what is required to pass this) and have senior first aid, and do lie in the application (make sure you put everything in it... check traffic infringements befor you finish app) i know a couple of freinds that got knocked back because the forgot to put one minor traffic fine down. Knowing you, you shouldn't have to much of a problem though.

Does that make sense?