Speeding

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Speeding

Post by Infernal »

Some questions I have been wondering about, after i saw a police bike on the free way, following cars, looking down at his speed o, then up again, then moving on to other cars.

Are police offices allowed to attempt to track your speed by following you and using their own speed o as a gauge?

Are the speed o's in police cars certified and calibrated as a legal speed measuring device for the purpose of prosecuting speeders? (id imaging multinovas and radar guns would have to be certified) if so do they carry a certificate of calibration and can you request to see it?

If they are using their speed o to book people, how do they prove the speed?
kyeboi
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: UNIDEN UBC355XLT

Re: Speeding

Post by kyeboi »

well i know that if they can't show you on request they can not fine you as the don't have any proof!!

kyeboi
KyeBoi

Yanchep VFRS
diggity

Post by diggity »

Hmm, so wrong.

There is no lawful requirement for police to show you your reading, whether it's on laser/radar/trap/check speed.

And yes, they can use the police car/bike speedo to issue infringemenst etc.
The speedo's are calibrated and checked.

Generally speaking, a speed check (vehicle speedo) is conducted over approx. 500 metres or so, with officers folowing a vehicle at a constant speed.

All legal.
phreak
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by phreak »

diggity wrote:Hmm, so wrong.

There is no lawful requirement for police to show you your reading, whether it's on laser/radar/trap/check speed.

And yes, they can use the police car/bike speedo to issue infringemenst etc.
The speedo's are calibrated and checked.

Generally speaking, a speed check (vehicle speedo) is conducted over approx. 500 metres or so, with officers folowing a vehicle at a constant speed.

All legal.
to be the devils advocate here (and can i just say in context that I fully support the WA Police): But if there is no requirment to prove speed at the point of infringement and there is no physical proof of the speed apart from the officers word - how would that stand up in court if the accused challenges?
CDC Fire Rescue - Volunteer Firefighter
A52 - Volunteer Firefighter
diggity

Post by diggity »

9/10 times you will be shown your reading, but there is no lawful requirement for police to show that reading. Police pack commodores and falcons (unsure about bikes) have a "trap" or "check speed" function on the speedo allowing them to "freeze" the speedo, allowing it to be viewed.

You do a burnout, no marks left, no evidence on tyres, police can still charge you.
You run the yellow, no camera, police infringe you. etc etc etc.
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

It was many years ago, but i was told by a member of the legal profession that vehicle speedometers do not constitute legally calibrated speed measuring sevices.
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Post by Infernal »

I have another question

I have a mate that delvers water tanks over east, and there is some law for a stretch of highway that says no loads over xx.x m wide between xx:xx and xx:xx the consignment note said it was under, the police said it "looked over" and issued the fine with out measuring it.

or another one i saw on the TV series, where they pulled some one over for talking on the phone, but refused to check the calls log, i some times rest my head on my hand if the traffic is slow, this could be taken for me talking on my phone....

i was wondering if thats the same thing, it seems its just your word against theirs, and nothing you can do about it, seems unfair.

As a mechanic I know that speedometers can change by a number of things.
colin
150+ posts
150+ posts
Amateur callsign: VK6FITN
Scanners and Receivers: RTL2832U with RTL_Airband
Tait 8200

Post by colin »

diggity wrote:9/10 times you will be shown your reading, but there is no lawful requirement for police to show that reading. Police pack commodores and falcons (unsure about bikes) have a "trap" or "check speed" function on the speedo allowing them to "freeze" the speedo, allowing it to be viewed.

You do a burnout, no marks left, no evidence on tyres, police can still charge you.

Perhaps a camera mounted in such a way that it views the speedo and the view out the windscreen would help?

Anyone got an idea what "new features and technologies" are being tested in the new concept car?
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

I doubt your mate would have been booked without any evidence; Heavy Vehicle Regulations are pretty clear as to width and height of oversize loads.

Call logs on mobile telephones can be deleted and changed; if a person wants to dispute an infringement notice then they have the opportunity to take the matter to court. It’s not unfair, the Police give their evidence and then you give yours.

Some traffic cars now have forward facing cameras that will record offences such as going through red lights, mobile phones etc however there is no requirement for Police to show footage of an offence to motorists if requested however it can be produced as evidence in court.

Police speedos are certified every 12 months or less and have a certificate to show this, once again this would be produced at court and not on the side of the road.

Concept cars have things like ANPR, cameras and integrated computer systems.
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
Q4004
Location: Waiting for frequencie info on Transport in Western Australia

Post by Q4004 »

Speaking of Speeding, does anyone know if the old 6F Multanova cameras are still on our roads, some people i know claim they ahve seen them recentley but if they are can anyone please tell me where they are as im keen to get an up close picture of the Multanova. Last time i saw one was on Great Eastern Hwy as it heads west from Yilgarn Ave near Northam in the 90km/h zone on September 27th 2010
Blinky
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Blinky »

Not that it probably helps you but the Multinova is still down around Bunbury. I drove past a setup twice last week (different days, different locations). Not seen the new camera down here yet. The only time I have seen one of the new camera's has been on the Kwinana Freeway near the Narrows Bridge. It will arrive one day I have no doubt.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those who do not.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

Q4004 wrote:Speaking of Speeding, does anyone know if the old 6F Multanova cameras are still on our roads
Saw one on Alexander Dr near Gnangarra road about 3 weeks ago.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
mrsg84

Post by mrsg84 »

I saw one on Whitfords Ave last Thursday.
donks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by donks »

diggity wrote:9/10 times you will be shown your reading, but there is no lawful requirement for police to show that reading. Police pack commodores and falcons (unsure about bikes) have a "trap" or "check speed" function on the speedo allowing them to "freeze" the speedo, allowing it to be viewed.

I have not come across this feature in any police car i have used.. Unless its a TEG thing.. Definitely not on our patrol cars.?!
People call me an "Egotistic Jackass"... I prefer the term "Confident Donkey" --->Donks for short
diggity

Post by diggity »

donks wrote:

I have not come across this feature in any police car i have used.. Unless its a TEG thing.. Definitely not on our patrol cars.?!
donks, in the commodore, press the left toggle on steering wheel. Then toggle up to view again. In the falcon sedans, hold the menu button to left of dash, will display above digital speedo. In sedan and wagons only, not in vans.