WA Police Service digital radio network

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

WA Police Service digital radio network

Post by vk6hgr »

Hi All.

Here is the transcript of the channel 9 news story on the WA Police digital radio system.

This is the thread to use for discussion on the system from TV news or the West Australian article 8)
"Rapid Response"

WA Police are joining the digital age with new technology promising faster response times and improved safety. The upgrade includes in-car computers, secure communications and a satellite tracking system as Grant Taylor reports.

Grant Taylor: It's a technological boost set to revolutionise the way police do business. Over the next twelve months around 600 vehicles will be given a high-tech makeover. The centrepeice an on-board computer system providing officers with instant access to the police database from anywhere in the city.

Commissioner Karl O'Callaghan: They don't have to wait to do a vehicle check, they don't have to wait to do a motor drivers license check they can go simply onto the computer and it comes back within seconds.

Grant Taylor: But the computers will also boost safety. Police will be able to check before they even stop a car if it's stolen, or if the owner has a violent record or a firearms license. And should officers get into trouble, a new satellite tracking system is also being fitted to show supervisors exactly where each car is at all times.

Insp. Andrew Henderson: We will be able to see on the screen where the vehicles are. If officers need assistance we will be able get that to the location where they are.

Grant Taylor: The old analogue radio network is also being replaced with a new digital system which criminals can't access. Eavesdropping on police is currently easy and cheap. Eighty dollars will buy a portable scanner like this one, but they'll be useless when the new digitally encrypted radio network comes online.

The entire upgrade is costing taxpayers about $60 million. That's about 10 percent of the annual police budget. But the commisioner says the public will see results almost immediately.

Commissioner Karl O'Callaghan: What you'll see is faster dispatch times and faster response times.

Grant Taylor: Grant Taylor, National Nine News
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
ZO100_marto
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by ZO100_marto »

Interesting how there going on about the onboard computers, was speaking to an officer maybe a nomth ago who was telling me how WAPOL techs still hadn't figured out how to get the three different systems they currently use to interact with each other on the one system.
i.e. currently the program used to do a check on a person is differnet to the pragram used for vehicle checks and to look up case files.

Wonder if it all talk :? I guess we'll now over the next few months.

marto
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

a.
Last edited by Fozzy on Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

Bet those keyboards they showed in the vehicles dont last long!
Bungarra

Post by Bungarra »

I had a look at the new set up in one of the Midland traffic cars last week. Apparently the data screens are too bright and aren't easy to turn the brightness down. Oh and thanks to the two officers ( I didn't get call sign-too dark) for letting my kids and nephew have a look at the vehicle and the colouring in pages f WAPOL units!!! :P