Perplexing Callsign!

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

auntys_eyes

Perplexing Callsign!

Post by auntys_eyes »

Whilst out and about today i saw a callsign on a WAPol car that has me quite perplexed. But first...

My understanding is that marked police vehicles with the callsign prefix of A* are normally District Traffic cars (eg AH*** would be a Midland District traffict car, AZ*** Mirrabooka etc). I also believe that a callsign suffix begining with 1 is normally for General Duties cars (eg 101, 102, 103 etc), and a suffix begining with 2 is normally for Traffic vehicles (eg 201, 202, 250-Major Crash etc).

Now here is the dilemma. Today i saw a Ford Falcon ute with a pod (Divvy Van) with the callsign of AH104.
a) This is a District Traffic prefix with a General Duties number.
b) I have never seen a van before, allocated as a traffic vehicle and would have thought that it is not that practical as a traffic vehicle.

So... Is Midland district using vans for traffic now (and surely there isn't 4 of them)?... and if so shouldn't it be AH204? OR... has someone stuffed up the callsign allocation and this should be HM104? OR... are traffic vehicles now using 1 in their callsign suffix? OR... Is this some bizarre new way of shuffling limited resources? OR... have WAPol just thrown all the cards up in the air with callsign allocations? OR...
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
WPXZBP

Re: Perplexing Callsign!

Post by WPXZBP »

Possibly a district car that is used for general duties. I'm thinking not all AH (for example) callsigns are for traffic duties only.
phreak
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by phreak »

reminds me of 'how much wood does a wood chucker chuck if a wood chucker could chuck wood?' or something like that lol

On topic tho, would be interesting to find out if there may be a departure from traditional call signs? Maybe the call sign intended was already allocated so they came up with a hybrid for this vehicle? out of curiosity, was it a newly registered vehicle?
Last edited by phreak on Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CDC Fire Rescue - Volunteer Firefighter
A52 - Volunteer Firefighter
spartacus
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: ONEDAYILLGETIT
Scanners and Receivers: ubc92xlt

Post by spartacus »

These may not be as rare as you think.
There have been reports of similar callsigns on this website.

Eg:
AV103
AP104
AL102
To stop displaying signatures, go to the User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit display options > Display signatures > No > Submit
CHEV4EVR
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by CHEV4EVR »

Last edited by CHEV4EVR on Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

Thanks Chev 8)
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!