Chase changed channel

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

earmuff man

Chase changed channel

Post by earmuff man »

hey,

first off, im new here :? but i had occationally joined the IRC channel over the past yew years (but i lost the server). anyway to the real reason of this post:

Last night there was a police chase, which was on Channel 2 (or 8), anyway it became quite involved (stingers etc.) so they changed channel, i though far enough, I think VKI said Channel 41.

I changed to 41 and nothing.

i do live in Mandurah but considering i was picking up the cars fine before i was confused as why i couldnt get anything. I then changed it to SCAN mode. Still nothing on any of the channels.

Can anyone explain what happened? cause i am stumped. I though it might be the repeating channels (why do they have double channels as well??, for example 2 and 8, 61 and 64??)

thanks.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Re: Chase changed channel

Post by vk6hgr »

earmuff man wrote:hey,

first off, im new here :? but i had occationally joined the IRC channel over the past yew years (but i lost the server). anyway to the real reason of this post:

Last night there was a police chase, which was on Channel 2 (or 8), anyway it became quite involved (stingers etc.) so they changed channel, i though far enough, I think VKI said Channel 41.

I changed to 41 and nothing.

i do live in Mandurah but considering i was picking up the cars fine before i was confused as why i couldnt get anything. I then changed it to SCAN mode. Still nothing on any of the channels.

Can anyone explain what happened? cause i am stumped. I though it might be the repeating channels (why do they have double channels as well??, for example 2 and 8, 61 and 64??)

thanks.
Hi earmuff man.

Welcome to the WARSUG forums :-)

It would be a pretty good hit to get VKI Ch 41 from Mandurah, I think it's in Mirrabooka. Even with a good outdoor antenna it wouldn't be a great signal from there. I can only just get ch17 Manudrah here in Northern suburbs Perth.

The police link multiple channels together like 2 and 8 to provide greater range - especially for portables - and to provide a backup in case one fails. The channel 2 and the channel 8 repeaters are in different suburbs but both can cover the entire Armadale police district.

So the only way you'll be able to get ch41 or channel 48 (Warwick/Joondalup) is to get a beam antenna and aim it roughly Perth-ward for a stronger signal :-)
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
earmuff man

Post by earmuff man »

ok thanks,

i think i get now ;) it makes sense. lol

we i have another question lol mandurah has 2 channels :S

61 and 17

whats the situation here. cause i was at the crab fest with my mate talking to a cop and her radio was on like 61 (i think was just a glance) and it just kinda confused me :S

i always though 17 was mandurah and 61 was a repeater (for pinjarra)
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vk6hgr »

earmuff man wrote:ok thanks,

i always though 17 was mandurah and 61 was a repeater (for pinjarra)
17 is a repeater, 61 is a repeater. Both are linked together, so the actual channel the copper uses in Mandurah depends on exactly where he is to get the best signal.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
earmuff man

Post by earmuff man »

ok,
i have a handheld and get both crystal clear. lol :?
scottwa2468

Chase changed channel

Post by scottwa2468 »

in the past week i have heard 4 pursuits on channel 48?,(mirribooka and scabrough),it seems that the school holidays have made some people crazy
Walks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Walks »

Walks.
Last edited by Walks on Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I was there when they flicked the switch
June 2, 2008
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

Walks I take it your in the job?

I actually saw a pursuit unravel today, a TE Vehicle chased a yellow subaru down South St onto Stock Rd in Oconner before it rolled on Forrest Rd in Bibra Lake.

When the vehicle passed me it was doing unreal speeds but to their credit the TE boys/girls were right up his behind and won at the end of the day.
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
scottwa2468

Chase changed channel

Post by scottwa2468 »

perhaps what neds to happen is a curfue for under 18 year old say after 10-11pm?,lets take some united states cities examples of this,i have noticed over the years that alot of crime happens in school holidays,especially during summer school holiday with the number of fires lit.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vk6hgr »

scottwa2468 wrote:perhaps what neds to happen is a curfue for under 18 year old say after 10-11pm?,lets take some united states cities examples of this,i have noticed over the years that alot of crime happens in school holidays,especially during summer school holiday with the number of fires lit.
Well, now we're deviating off-topic from police procedures to social behaviour :-)

It's not just fires that get lit during the school holidays, general antisocial behaviour such as graffiti and vandalism increase as well. These days, many parents both have to work during the school holidays which leaves their kids free to go out and about and to do as they please :-(

I'm not for a curfew of teenagers that is mandated by law. In an ideal world, the parents should be responsible for the whereabouts of their kids at those sorts of times. The reality is unfortunately, that some parents don't seem to care less...
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
Walks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Walks »

dazla wrote:Walks I take it your in the job?
Yep, as per my auspolcars intro :wink:

Walks.
I was there when they flicked the switch
June 2, 2008