WA Police Union wants hi-tech concept car

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

donks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: WA Police Union wants hi-tech concept car

Post by donks »

I agree. Police should be given more protection rgarding pursuit driving.. i personally know a lot of officers who will not engage in high speed pursuits. Its the main thing we are having drilled into us at the moment, its not worth chasing, because a death in custody is the LAST thing you want to be involved in!. CYA... (Cover Your Ass). however i think we should have the right to attempt to apprehend an offender without fear of being liable and even criminally prosecuted if they run and crash!.
People call me an "Egotistic Jackass"... I prefer the term "Confident Donkey" --->Donks for short
kilmo

Post by kilmo »

Unfortunately Donks, we live in a world where the rights of a baddie are becoming more and more paramount than those of the law abiding. I'm not suggesting that people are not due their civil rights, but it seems that the unlawful aspect of the community don't seem to get what they deserve.

If we don't catch up to them at that time of the offence, Karma, or Natural Selection will....I've learnt that a few times....lol....I beleive they should be brought before a court to be held accountable, but I'd rather they get away, and I keep my job to continue protecting the public, than to have them die in custody and I'm sitting in an office somewhere where I'm no longer doing what I love.

Criminals aren't smart, they will get caught or die trying....
LighteningCrashes
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Tait2020

Post by LighteningCrashes »

kilmo wrote:Unfortunately Donks, we live in a world where the rights of a baddie are becoming more and more paramount than those of the law abiding. I'm not suggesting that people are not due their civil rights, but it seems that the unlawful aspect of the community don't seem to get what they deserve.

If we don't catch up to them at that time of the offence, Karma, or Natural Selection will....I've learnt that a few times....lol....I beleive they should be brought before a court to be held accountable, but I'd rather they get away, and I keep my job to continue protecting the public, than to have them die in custody and I'm sitting in an office somewhere where I'm no longer doing what I love.

Criminals aren't smart, they will get caught or die trying....

Hi kilmo,

Can you please advise where you have read that these pursuits are aborted due to the rights of the baddie? I was always led to believe they were aborted because of public and police officer safety. It doesn't seem right that they are aborted because of the rights of a criminal and that would make me very mad if they are.

I think that they should be aborted when other peoples lives are at risk because it makes more sense to catch them using stingers, helicopter tracking and roadblocks rather than 140kmph chases.
Zebedee wrote:
LighteningCrashes wrote:Exactly what it says! Its often safer not to catch them. Four dead after high speed pursuits in Perth over three years. And your a 'bloody idiot' if you think its safe.
Let's not forget that in each of these cases, the person who died was fleeing from the law, and therefore in my opinion chose their own fate.

As Tyranus said, the person who is choosing to run from police is ultimately responsible, not the police who are doing their job in upholding the law.

If they are trying to evade the police, there's likely to be a good reason why. Perhaps there's drugs or weapons in the car. Perhaps there's some other reason.

Police should be given greater ability to chase down crooks, we shouldn't be tying their hands with yet more red tape.
In those cases perhaps but this is not always the case. The streets shouldn't be made more dangerous by chasing them when its not safe to or other methods can be used. Perhaps if this was not Mr Friederick who was killed but a 61 year old Mr Bell, would you still believe that it is acceptable to conduct these pursuits?

If their are drugs or weapons in the car, then like kilmo says
kilmo wrote:If we don't catch up to them at that time of the offence, Karma, or Natural Selection will....I've learnt that a few times
kilmo

Post by kilmo »

LC....I wasn't saying that chases are aborted due to baddies rights.....the policies in place with regards to pursuits, would be, and should be, a liability limiting procedure for WAPol and the Govt, to protect Officers and the Public.....

I was more aligning my comment with what Donks was saying.....Police powers and respect to a degree are being watered down by Courts and the PC wagon that seems to run our current society....
LighteningCrashes
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Tait2020

Post by LighteningCrashes »

kilmo wrote:LC....I wasn't saying that chases are aborted due to baddies rights.....the policies in place with regards to pursuits, would be, and should be, a liability limiting procedure for WAPol and the Govt, to protect Officers and the Public.....

I was more aligning my comment with what Donks was saying.....Police powers and respect to a degree are being watered down by Courts and the PC wagon that seems to run our current society....
Oh ok sorry kilmo.

Every day I go outside my front door I become more and more scared of what could come flying around the corner. :(
kilmo

Post by kilmo »

LC

Thats the problem with why our system is starting to fail....What If's instead of What Is.....Instead of saying, he stole a car and now he's failed to stop and has caused a high speed chase....we say, Don't chase he might crash, the police might crash, someone might die....

Yes these are all possible results to the outcome, but if we don't stop the source people become more and more brazen in their actions because they start to beleive that they are invincible.....

There is no happy medium......Police are damned if they do, damned if they don't