QH106 being used as a booze bus

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

singkenten
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: QH106 being used as a booze bus

Post by singkenten »

just my humble opinion... there are more important things to focus on, then traffic matters... yes drunk driving is a burden on society but .05 is way to low... people that drive DUI need to be penalised not someone who has driven excess .05 and especially not excess .02

It's just my thoughts that when you are dedicated to one are of the law it is a waste of time... each booze bus could be 6 extra cars on the road, who could deal with real crime, yet still catch the odd traffic offender if they so desired...
johnny99

Post by johnny99 »

From wikipedia

Crime is the breach of rules or laws for which some governing authority (via mechanisms such as legal systems) can ultimately prescribe a conviction. Individual human societies may each define crime and crimes differently. While every crime violates the law, not every violation of the law counts as a crime; for example: breaches of contract and of other civil law may rank as "offences" or as "infractions".

Traffic offences are real crime. Where do you draw the line about what crime is important and what crime isnt. How often to read that the police have found drugs, firearms etc by doing traffic stops. The more cops out there doing these the better. Its not just drunk drivers they pick up either its unlicensed and unroadworthy cars as well
singkenten
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by singkenten »

From the Criminal Code of WA:

A person, when they do an act or omission that constitutes an offence they are either guilty of a 'crime' or a 'simple offence'... the code will actually state a person is guitly of either a crime or an offence. Such things as disorderly behaviour, assault and traffic matters are all simple offences and NOT crimes.

Any cop can search a vehicle if there is reason to do so, but they do not need to give an infringement... my point is that police could be going to real jobs and being much more pro-active on patrol then on the side of the street... as it stands I dont believe traffic police go to jobs, a job could be happening right next to where they are and they wouldn't have a clue... they could be much more efficient...
johnny99

Post by johnny99 »

Sounds like someone has a issue with traffic cops.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

singkenten wrote:From the Criminal Code of WA:

A person, when they do an act or omission that constitutes an offence they are either guilty of a 'crime' or a 'simple offence'... the code will actually state a person is guitly of either a crime or an offence. Such things as disorderly behaviour, assault and traffic matters are all simple offences and NOT crimes.

Any cop can search a vehicle if there is reason to do so, but they do not need to give an infringement... my point is that police could be going to real jobs and being much more pro-active on patrol then on the side of the street... as it stands I dont believe traffic police go to jobs, a job could be happening right next to where they are and they wouldn't have a clue... they could be much more efficient...
Yep, ok granted there's always going to be things that could be done more efficiently but I've been breathalised by a booze bus on Guildford road at night only to go past that same location in the morning and seen the number of cars left out overnight because the driver has been pulled over and been too intoxicated. Now I think that the traffic police are doing their job because they have possibly prevented a tragedy from happening, now I'm sure that if something big went down at Alfred's Kitchen and they were made aware of it (police aren't mind readers and can't predict everything or sense everything) then they would respond appropriately.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
xli

Post by xli »

robbage wrote:If you don't make an effort to deter people from driving while under the influence then anybody who feels like it will drive under the influence. Same deal with police chases. Stop chasing and anybody who feels like it will drive off.
I agree with you entirely. I never meant to imply to not make an effort in stopping or catching them - I meant theres a bigger picture to look at. Drug dealers etc aren't going to take a break just because all the police are trying to catch drink drivers.
robbage wrote:So what you seem to be saying is that remove all booze buses and Multanovas and it will have no effect? I know different because I've seen the difference for both deterrents. So long as they saved a life, I'm satisfied.
No I never said that. Yes, they do deter certain people. Yes, they likely do save lives (although with all seriousness: it is impossible to know if any lives would have been lost if no booze buses were out that night). And yes, I would be absolutely pissed and crushed if someone I knew was killed by a drunk driver who could have been stopped. However they don't solve the underlying issue. A large number of people will always deliberately drink and drive (regardless if there were ten buses), who simply don't care and never get caught just because they know how to avoid the hotspots. These are the people who are more likely to kill someone, not your (usually) law-abiding group whose driver drank one beer too many.

Having more deterrents does not guarantee the deterrence of more people. Two booze buses may deter 200 people from drink driving, while introducing a third booze bus may only deter an additional ten. The manpower could in my opinion be better spent; send the command truck to Northbridge for instance, create a presence and constant reminder directly among those who were considering drink driving. Then have some of the other police patrol the roads frequently used to bypass the buses to specifically target those who purposely seek to break the law and avoid the consequences.