At a red light. Emergency vehicle behind you. Your rights?

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

yorky

At a red light. Emergency vehicle behind you. Your rights?

Post by yorky »

Ok this has come up again and I can't find the last thread that discussed it.

You're at a red light, generally at the front with a car up your backside.
A Police/insert emergency vehicle here on priority comes up behind.

I remember the general ruling was no, its still a red light. You cannot legally proceed through it to let the emergency vehicle through without 'running a red light'.

In the eyes of the law, is it a case of wait until it's green or otherwise? I don't want to know about 'if its safe then do it', I would like to know what the legal perspective is.

Thank you.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
numloxx
Amateur callsign: VK6PCB

Re: At a red light. Emergency vehicle behind you. Your rights?

Post by numloxx »

Yes good question.

I would never try to hinder the police if they need to get past of course, I'm sure none of us here would.
But are we legally obligated to run the red light to make the way clear for the police to pass through?

Carsten
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Only 2 types of people can probably answer your question, 1) A serving WA police officer, 2) A Lawyer.
Anybody else is just going to be putting in their thoughts, opinions or personal reactions.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Going past the white line at Red TCL's will land you an infringement.

If cars peel to the left and right creating a split in the middle, without crossing the white line, is how it should happen. BUT, in saying that, I see this in the city all the time with the FRS guys having to go wrong way up to cross an intersection, 10% of that, I see cars running red lights (continuing on with a red light) - with the FRS guys right behind.

If you can't move i.e Red Lights - then an attempt at helping the Emergency Services to get them to go safely around you would be most helpful for them.

G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
muzza333
Scanners and Receivers: uniden

Post by muzza333 »

i think it depends on the situation.
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

What a great question for Inspector Neil Royal on 6PR.... hehe give him a ring and instead of whinging about roads and intersections, ask him a real question :)

I'd also love to know the answer!
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

Hey guys,

I've done some research. According to page 94 of the Drive Safe Handbook:

What should you do when there is an emergency vehicle in your immediate vicinity?
do not panic;
check where the emergency vehicle is coming from and give way to it;
move as far as to the left of the road if you can; and
if you cannot move left, slow down or stop. Let the emergency vehicle drive around you.

It is an offence not to give way to an emergency vehicle.
Please do the right thing – look, listen and merge left.

So this tells me that regardless of me being at a red light or not, it is NOT an offence to give way to an emergency vehicle. If the cops tried to give me a red light camera fine this quote is where i'd be sending them....
yorky

Post by yorky »

Bonez wrote:It is an offence not to give way to an emergency vehicle.
Please do the right thing – look, listen and merge left.

So this tells me that regardless of me being at a red light or not, it is NOT an offence to give way to an emergency vehicle. If the cops tried to give me a red light camera fine this quote is where i'd be sending them....
Thanks for looking into it. However I'm still puzzled, it is an offence not to give way, but it is also an offence to run the red light? The way I see it no matter which option you choose either stay at the red unable to move or go into/through the red, you still commit an offence?
xli

Post by xli »

yorky wrote:Thanks for looking into it. However I'm still puzzled, it is an offence not to give way, but it is also an offence to run the red light? The way I see it no matter which option you choose either stay at the red unable to move or go into/through the red, you still commit an offence?
I'm right with you on that confusion.

I'm assuming that if it were a red-light camera area, the emergency vehicle would likely be snapped too (would be awfully bad luck if you ran the red light then it went green for them though) so the operators could validate your story and waive the infringement. If it weren't a red light camera area, I've generally seen most people stop everywhere at the intersection (or atleast slow - however there are definitely the foolish people who are the exception!), so presumably the vehicle in front should be clear to move.

However, if I were put in this situation tomorrow? I'd probably crap my pants then I'd have two predicaments.. :(
ConstableCare
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by ConstableCare »

yorky wrote:I remember the general ruling was no, its still a red light. You cannot legally proceed through it to let the emergency vehicle through without 'running a red light'..
Correct, you cannot run the red light just to allow the emergency vehicle to clear the area. For one you could get booked (generally not by an officer but definately by the pole mounted cash register!) and secondly if your involved in a T/A as a result of your actions you have no insurance.

The emergency vehicle will generally find another way around and if not the guys understand that they can't get everywhere quickly!

CC 8)
yorky

Post by yorky »

Ok, this is the video in question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3mIma2h2b4

Feel free to comment.
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

yorky wrote:Ok, this is the video in question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3mIma2h2b4

Feel free to comment.
If my eyes are seeing right, the officer has made hand movements to the 4wd to move forward, thus he is obeying rules stated by an officer of the law.

Common sence would prevail, hopefully if the red car got a ticket for turning left at the traffic lights that he moved in good faith to the unmarked police car.
I've closed the door!
yorky

Post by yorky »

Yes that is correct the officer did motion to move after putting the beacon on the roof.
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

yorky wrote:Yes that is correct the officer did motion to move after putting the beacon on the roof.
Therefore the car is obeying the laws as directed by a police officer. Technically, one could also bring up that he [4wd] has not entered the direct flow of traffic and is still stationary abeit further than the white line.

However saying that... Absolute commen sence would prevail that you should give way to an emergency vehicle under lights and sirens.
I've closed the door!
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

I'd go through if it was safe to do so.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr