Calling "URGENT"

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

singkenten
150+ posts
150+ posts

Calling "URGENT"

Post by singkenten »

Just wondering what the thoughts on hear were on here about a car calling "urgent" after their callsign. ie "Golf Charlie 803 URGENT".

Heard a copper do it the other day and was wondering what the perception was on here about when it would/should be called, based on when you guys used to be able to listen in on the radio...

When I heard it called it didn't seem like the most 'urgent' of situations - just wondering...
SteveNSWP

Re: Calling "URGENT"

Post by SteveNSWP »

I am a NSW Copper and we use the suffix 'URGENT' here also, so hopefully I can give you an insiders perspective re: calling urgent.

Urgent does not technically mean urgent or emergency situation. Urgent is actually short for urgent message. It means that the car calling has a message and is requesting priority transmission over all other cars on a frequency/channel. Typically the urgent message relates to an urgent or emergency situation but not always. Urgent is simply telling comms that you have something important to say and that you need to be listened to first.

Two examples would be:
1. A unit calls "City 35 Urgent, officer in foot pursuit ........" Thats calling urgent in an urgent situation. But also you may hear a unit call:

2. "City 35 Urgent. Can you advise the City units responding to the brawl that we have received infomation that persons are now armed with weapons"

Example 1 is a care calling urgent due to an urgent situation. The other has an urgent message to pass onto cars and is not actually involved in an emergency situation or is requesting help if that makes sense.

Most cops here, including myself, will actually call "Urgent message" or call "Priority", which are not official suffixes here, to differentiate wether or not our call relates to an urgent situation or just an urgent message or request to comms or other units. Basically with example 2 we would replace the word "Urgent" with "Priority" or "Urgent Message".

Here in NSW we call Urgent or Urgent In Pursuit, to get priorty transmission or to advise if we are in a pursuit. Here, if its an emergency situation where an officer needs urgent assistance we call Signal 1. I am assuming that WAPOL would use a similar code to denote officer requesting help.

Hope thats clear as mud. I know NSW Operates differently to WAPOL but most Police agencies use similar codes for the same thing. Also it is likely that the message was not really of an urgent nature, sometimes you get very raw coppers or trainees that are still leaning and will call urgent if they assess the situation to be urgent, when in fact it may actually not be. I have had it happen to me where the rookie has called urgent and then I have had to get on the air and tell comms and all unitsesponding to cancel the urgent call.

Regards,

Steve.
There's no such things as stupid questions, just stupid people!
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

Calling "Urgent" would/should/ will be used ONLY when the station transmitting the Stop signal is threatened by grave or imminent danger and required immediate assistance or when the station transmitting the call signal has a very urgent message to transmit concerning the safety of another person or persons.

The caller has absolute priority over all other transmissions and will be used only where the situation is urgent and the message requires top priority.

Like the following:

"Area 2, Urgent... Brawl in progress cnr x and x street" Thats calling urgent in an urgent situation. But also you may hear them call

"Area 2, Urgent... Can you advise operations that we now require ambulance to this location for a member of the public"
I've closed the door!
LM

Post by LM »

how the "urgent" is called often conveys the urgency of the situation anyway - if there's heavy breathing, if it's screamed etc. would indicate that the situation is "urgent." also, if there's a quick "urgent" and no other communication that follows, it can be assumed that the particular unit is in need of urgent help. from the times i've heard it called, you can tell from the way "urgent" is said and any background noise whether or not the situation dictates it.

other instances where "urgent" might be used are when a vehicle is failing to stop and a pursuit is beginning - as it requires that the radio is free for the vehicle to call the chase. this would also attract the atttention of the necessary people who would govern the pursuit - ie a duty inspector, radio supervisor, etc.
woobla1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by woobla1 »

VX101etc "Urgent",, usually means they are in a pursuit and request radio priority.

Or they need urgent backup

those are the only 2 times I have heard it used in that manner.
CANT HEAR THE POLICE ANYMORE?
SEE THIS POST: http://warsug.info/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4424