"Broken" radio network risks lives: Police union

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

"Broken" radio network risks lives: Police union

Post by vk6hgr »

Page 16 of the West 2/2/10

"The Barnet Government has failed to deliver on an election promise to significantly upgrade the regional emergency radio network from its unreliable analogue system to digital, says the WA Police union"

According to the article, Mt Barker has dodgy coverage on the police network.

(I'd link to the article, but The West don't publish all their local stuff online...)
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
WPXZBP

Re: "Broken" radio network risks lives: Police union

Post by WPXZBP »

Dodgy is an understatement from what I hear....
slipknot
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu FT-857 Yaesu FT7800 Icom ID800H

Post by slipknot »

What emergancy service are they refereing too?
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vk6hgr »

slipknot wrote:What emergancy service are they refereing too?
Police.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
slipknot
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu FT-857 Yaesu FT7800 Icom ID800H

Post by slipknot »

vk6hgr wrote:
slipknot wrote:What emergancy service are they refereing too?
Police.

ahh cheers Gav.

The police want more then what they already have huh? Sorry to anyone if i sound controversial but dosnt our tax payers money have more inmportant things to worry about at this point in time? if its about WERN well, thats a differnt story altogether....
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vk6hgr »

slipknot wrote: The police want more then what they already have huh? Sorry to anyone if i sound controversial but dosnt our tax payers money have more inmportant things to worry about at this point in time? if its about WERN well, thats a differnt story altogether....
That's the frustration that governments face... all important projects are important, the hard part is figuring out which important project is most important.

It sounds like their radio system down there needs some solid investment - analogue or digital is a side issue.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

slipknot wrote:The police want more then what they already have huh? Sorry to anyone if i sound controversial but dosnt our tax payers money have more inmportant things to worry about at this point in time? if its about WERN well, thats a differnt story altogether....
I'm curious what could me more important than the safety of police when working (often alone) in remote parts of the state?

Think back to when a routine traffic stop ended up with a police officer seriously injured and a suspect dead.

In the 21st century, reliable access to data is part and parcel of modern policing. The WA police has the honour of being the largest single police jurisdiction in the world - but that can also be a big problem for providing reliable communications to the remote parts of our state.
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
ConstableCare
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by ConstableCare »

A lot of it comes down to training too. Most of the HF gear is sitting in Country Police Stations gathering dust. Many 'dead spots' across the State could easily be overcome by using the right gear - HF or Sat Phone's. As I have siad previously, PAC have a dedicated Country / HF Op but they tend to sit there VERY lonely on most shifts...

Most Country Cars have the gear - most Country Police don't know how to use it!

CC 8)
w0mbat
Scanners and Receivers: AOR 8200 MKIII

Post by w0mbat »

Sorry to ask, but what or who is PAC?

--Steve
End of Line
ConstableCare
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by ConstableCare »

w0mbat wrote:Sorry to ask, but what or who is PAC?

--Steve
Police Assistance Centre (VKI)
yorky

Post by yorky »

ConstableCare wrote:

--Steve
Wouldn't "VKI" come under POC (Police Operations Centre)? (Just wondering).

And personally Police are among the HIGHEST reasoning for working comms, they should always be at the top of the list for this sort of thing as THEY are the ones dealing with life and death situations (along with the other services).
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
ConstableCare
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by ConstableCare »

yorky wrote:
ConstableCare wrote:

--Steve
Wouldn't "VKI" come under POC (Police Operations Centre)? (Just wondering).

And personally Police are among the HIGHEST reasoning for working comms, they should always be at the top of the list for this sort of thing as THEY are the ones dealing with life and death situations (along with the other services).
Whatever you wanna call it - im not fussed. It's all in the same building...
singkenten
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by singkenten »

...in the same building as TEG and Forensics, at least 2 out of the 4 are good at their job....

Most of the areas with dead spots are also rarely 'policed' in the country but the sat phones are rubbish and usually only 1 car at a country station has HF, so at the moment if your going into a dead spot, whatever you do you just keep in the back of your mind that you may not have comms...
CHEV4EVR
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by CHEV4EVR »

Last edited by CHEV4EVR on Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ConstableCare
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by ConstableCare »

CHEV4EVR wrote:Before commenting on the wonders of HF radio/sat phones consider it in the context of a policing environment rather than general radio users. HF radio may work really well in the land of fairies and powder puffs where you have plenty of time to set your system up and establish comms whilst having a jolly cup of tea but what the union is getting at is that if the poo hits the fan you want to pick up that handset/portable and get that message through the first time with confidence. It is the reason digital radio exists in metro, encryption was just a bonus as we already had DVP capability. HF radios are not suitable for short burst urgent situations. Sat phones have only two parties that can listen therefore excluding all the cars nearby.

Yes POC do have a country booth but the reason they are quiet is that operations are run out of stations or regional centres. The country booth is only there for the worst case scenario and to ensure that POCCC has instant contact with the state if the need arises.

The issue the article raises is that the govt has recognised the problem and committed to fixing it but are now reneging. All the debate has been and gone. It would be a different story if they were just considering the situation but it has moved beyond that. Surely in this day and age police less than 300km from the state capital should be able to communicate effectively as a key govt priority.

All noted CHEV and I agree with your points however my post did refer somewhat to the training aspect. To have a copper turn around and say they have never been shown how to use the HF set is one of some concern. Furthermore the base stations gathering dust in regional areas is also a concern. Most of the OIC's have some knowledge but again the Mobile Phone tends to be relied upon far too much. HF is still used by some of the 'dinosaurs' out there but its few and far between.

The HF is a good system. I have used it and it is simple to use - contrary to what most people believe.

Anyway, yes an upgrade is needed - whether the expense of fully encrypted is warranted in these area's remains something for the 'bean counters' to work out.

CC 8)