Western australia Police Digital switch over

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

Tyson846
Scanners and Receivers: 93XLT

Post by Tyson846 »

Hi Guys i was reading my local community newspaper and came accross DIGITAL RADIO SWITCH OVER it wont happen for another 2 years but they said that it would happen in early 2007 so strat bying all the digital radios :(
Tyson
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Re: Western australia Police Digital switch over

Post by vk6hgr »

Tyson846 wrote:Hi Guys i was reading my local community newspaper and came accross DIGITAL RADIO SWITCH OVER it wont happen for another 2 years but they said that it would happen in early 2007 so strat bying all the digital radios :(
Tyson
Doesn't mean that it will be scannable. The most common digital radio standard is APCO25. Most scanners that say they can receive digital can receive this.

However, they can also encrypt the digital signal, which for the police, is very likely. Encrypted signals can't be heard - even with a digital scanner.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
scottwa2468

re police channels going digital

Post by scottwa2468 »

I spoke to a police officer last week and he did not know about it,with the new 131444 police assistance and all the money that has been spent on it aswell as labors promise to build more police stations that will take up a big chunk of police funding,they may say that the new radio system will be up and running by 2007 but there may be delayes from testing the system and with mr gallops projects such as the mandurah trainline and the new ticketing system for transperth it may take till 2010 or longer
Jonezy

Post by Jonezy »

vk6hgr wrote:Encrypted signals can't be heard - even with a digital scanner.
There's no such thing as can't, *especially* when it comes to nerds and people not wanting them to do something. It just depends how many people want to listen, and how badly they want to listen.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

Jonezy wrote:There's no such thing as can't, *especially* when it comes to nerds and people not wanting them to do something. It just depends how many people want to listen, and how badly they want to listen.
However there does come a point where the "nerds" will run out of resources. If the encryption system in use needs something with the computing power of the CIA, then to the rest of us that's effectively "can't".

I think it's telling that encrypted digital radio systems all around the world remain secure, even with the attention of the "nerds"...
scottwa2468

Post by scottwa2468 »

i suppose it wont take them long to test the system wont take long,maybe they may get tips from the nsw police department who have switched over
doogues71
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by doogues71 »

long live the nerd!!! :lol: :lol:
just.nosey

Post by just.nosey »

I know someone at VKI and the operators have already done their basic training on the digital system which is scheduled to go live in February 2007 with full comprehensive training commencing in October this year.

The $300 mil for the Midland redevelopment of the old railway workshops and the new radio network was put aside a number of years ago and will be topped up as needed. This money does not come out of the Police Service Budget.
pinkbosseslady
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by pinkbosseslady »

Just returned from down south and noticed that none of the country cars have digital aerials?

whats the go? are country going digital or not
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

pinkbosseslady wrote: country going digital
Correct.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
pinkbosseslady
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by pinkbosseslady »

okies, cheers bud
stevesperformance

Post by stevesperformance »

thats right.some country boys have digital.I have heard them on the digital freqs (502.0000 - 504.0000 mhz). testing i think.it unencrypted too.
life's great with a digital scanner
Walks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Walks »

Maybe just.nosey could correct me if I am wrong, but me thinks that the metro area will be converted first.

Country areas, due to its vast area will be converted later (cost????) and will still run the old system.

All cars will be fitted with the new gear as it works backwards with the old system....i.e. city cars can go to the country and vice versa.

Walks.
I was there when they flicked the switch
June 2, 2008
Millsy

Post by Millsy »

Does that mean i will still be able to listen to mandurah :D