Traffic Enforcement Group

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

orac68

Traffic Enforcement Group

Post by orac68 »

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,18 ... 45,00.html

Traffic squad to double in size

April 30, 2006

POLICE Commissioner Karl O'Callaghan could more than double the size of WA's elite traffic squad, in a move that will cost motorists millions of dollars more in fines.
He said the expanded Traffic Enforcement Group would crack down on "appalling" WA drivers who were still speeding, drink-driving and not wearing seat belts.

The squad's 23 officers have handed out 46,000 fines of $50 to $600 since it was formed 14 months ago.

Senior police will hand Mr O'Callaghan a plan in weeks asking for a further 30 officers.

Mr O'Callaghan said he backed the proposal in principle, but needed to see the detail before committing.

He said it was about having a highly visible police presence and cutting the road toll -- not raising revenue.

Advertisement:
"This squad is doing a fantastic job, but we do need to up the ante," he said.

"We've got people who are well trained, well focused and doing a very good job. (With more officers) we'll have a constant flow of traffic patrol cars going up and down to try to reduce that road toll."

The squad has worked in the metropolitan area, but the extra officers would extend patrols to the country, where most road deaths occur.

The Sunday Times understands some senior police are angry with the proposal because the extra police would be pulled from the six metropolitan districts.

But Traffic and Operations Assistant Commissioner John McRoberts said he would take only district police already on traffic duties.

"Though the districts may be losing the people, the squad will still be available for tasking in the districts and that will be a far better co-ordinated approach," he said.

"Road users see people on their mobile phones. They see people going through red lights and stop signs. If we don't do something about it, people lose confidence in policing and confidence in the safety of our roads."

The RAC and WA Road Safety Council backed the plan. "People recognise that form of visible policing has a very strong deterrent factor," an RAC spokesman said.
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

Sounds good to me.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Reduce the road toll = less accidents = less incidents our Brigade has to turn out to. That's a good thing in my eyes.
orac68

Post by orac68 »

I agree. I am so sick of some of the idiots on the road. I would love to help them out.

I acquired a radar some time ago that I use at most of the local car rally’s. Some of the speeds I have detected cars at are mind blowing :( One example was about 1am on Ocean reef road in a 70 zone, a loan car passed me doing 145kp/h.

Have to laugh but it annoys the HELL out of the ones with radar detectors :P
Tom
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Tom »

The Sunday Times understands some senior police are angry with the proposal because the extra police would be pulled from the six metropolitan districts.

But Traffic and Operations Assistant Commissioner John McRoberts said he would take only district police already on traffic duties.

"Though the districts may be losing the people, the squad will still be available for tasking in the districts and that will be a far better co-ordinated approach," he said.
I read this as well and the penny dropped, how often do you actually hear a TEG's car tasking and picking up VKI jobs??

You very occasionally hear them respond to a traffic realted job, but if they are taking traffic cars away from districts who's gonna pick up the jobs?

On ch21/41 I regularly hear AZ202-204 and 210-211 pick up tasks as jobs are mounting up and VKI is under the pump. I heard as often as last night AZ traffic cars heading to offenders of premise jobs/welfare checks/domestics the list goes on and on...

I somehow just can't imagine TEG's cars doing this.

Also not mentioned in the 'Sunday Times' article is where are the additional vehicles for the expanded TEG's going to come from? I bet they'll be pulled from the 6 metro districts...

In a way it's easy to see why as the newspaper quotes it 'some senior police are angry', thus further reducing available resources.

Revenue raising maybe?

cheers

Tom-these just my opinions only, they are not meant to offend anyone. feel free to PM me.
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Just your 2 cents worth Tom, nothing wrong with what you said mate...
Tom
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Tom »

orac68,

I agree dude their are some total dic*heads on our roads. Who just don't seem to care and the standard of driving in WA has never been so bad.

Maybe TEG's could start targeting taxi-drivers, I know some taxi drivers take pride in their appearance, driving and vehicles but some clearly have no understanding of the road rules.

Targeting people who exceed the posted speed limit by 10km/h isn't going to reduce the road toll and is a waste of resources.

Tom
Millsy

Post by Millsy »

i agree with the new add on to the hoon legislation. with being ova the speed limit by a certain amount, resulting in your car being locked up
Tom
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Tom »

Cheers Mr G,

Just telling it how it is.

I just read the article fully and it says something about the extra police extending patrols into the country.

Definately going to reduce the number of officers in districts for tasking....

Numbers, statistics, figures and revenue....

Let's turn this topic into a debate for a change.

I must say those TEG's SV6 'Highway Patrol' cars look awesome.

rgds

Tom
orac68

Post by orac68 »

Tom wrote:Cheers Mr G,

I must say those TEG's SV6 'Highway Patrol' cars look awesome.

Is that the bright orange (Is it?) ones you are talking about?
Tom
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Tom »

Yep that's the one's the 'high visibility' ones.

TE202/203/204/205/209/210/211 and 217.

AH207 is also one at Midland.

Tom
Millsy

Post by Millsy »

AV210 In Freo's district
and
AO203 in Mandurahs'
SOE digital
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by SOE digital »

No complaints here.
My sister, when she was 11, was run down while walking on the footpath by a drunk lady going 80kph.

I'll support ANYTHING to help make roads safe.
Bet you'd never expect to hear THAT from a 19 year old 8)
Kiss Me I'm Irish
madmikey

Post by madmikey »

I'm not for anyone braking the law, but as far as their comments for not "revenue raising" what a load of bullshit with their comment "The squad has worked in the metropolitan area, but the extra officers would extend patrols to the country, where most road deaths occur." Why not start it in the country and if it cuts road toll then by all means go in the city.

Just my thoughts on it.
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

At the end of the day we need 1000 more Police Statewide.

We need more Cops everywhere. At the current rate WAPOL is going to be under resourced until 2010.

Until the staffing issues are sorted their will always be senior staff with their noses turned up. It would be the same as if the traffic guys were being pulled to do GD tasking.

I support the move to increase country patrol and TEG as a whole. Western Australian drivers are appalling. Something needs to be done. Their is almost zero respect for the road rules and the other public that use them. I know this is a generlisation however it is the way it is heading. Don’t get me wrong i like to be a bit of a hoon but there is a time and a place for everything and that is what people need to learn.

On the other hand we need more police for general tasking because a lot goes on in Perth. However that goes back to my original statement. The new recruits are not keeping up with the attrition rate until this improves it is always going to be a catch 22 position.

In relation to extra vehicles and where they are coming from. Didn’t the C.O.P give the go ahead for 100 extra vehicles over the next 12 months? Maybe they can come from there.

Sorry about the long post guys. I just feel sorry for the guys on the frontline as at the moment they really are pawns to the Higher Government its not the police that are making these changes. Look at the police minister and the government. People that have not really had a real look at the problem just make knee jerk reactions to public opinion.