question reguarding the bpoints on your lience

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

munchkin1981
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

question reguarding the bpoints on your lience

Post by munchkin1981 »

(don't shoot me for spelling )
a friend has apparntly lost all his points but has been told that if he stays out of trouble for 12months he will be ok does that sound right or is it a load of polony ?
It wasn't me honest.....it was the cat I'm sweet and innocent one :)
gkoutlis

Re: question reguarding the bpoints on your lience

Post by gkoutlis »

Hmm - I was told that if you lose all your demerits - isn't it 3 yrs till you get them back?

G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
observer
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by observer »

You are on the eight ball there munchkin. If you do not accumilate one demirit point for 1 year, you are ok. HOWEVER if you gets moreethan one demerit point during this period then your license will be disqualified for a period DOUBLE than what it would have been.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

OK here's the story...

If you accumulate between 12 and 15 demerit points, your licence will be disqualified for three months. If it's 16 to 19 points, it's four months, and if it's 20 or more points, it's five months.

You now have the option to either serve out the disqualification period, *or* go onto what they are calling a "good behaviour period" of one year. During that good behaviour period, you may continue to drive, but if you get more than one demerit point in that time, you lose your licence for double the period it would have been originally. (i.e. 6, 8 or 10 months).

That's the basic story, there's a few other ifs and buts surrounding it ... Best you take a look at the following URL where it explains it all:

http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/your ... /15639.asp
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Nick
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Nick »

The key is you dont lose points you gain them. You dont start with 12 and they take them off you. You start with 0 and accumulate from there.(like Zebedee said) I noted that Royle even stated in the paper yesterday that people have "lost points" .
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

Yes - the phrase "lost points" seems to be very popular, even though it's back-to-front ;)

It is very dark.
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

Zebedee wrote:Yes - the phrase "lost points" seems to be very popular, even though it's back-to-front ;)

I think it's understandable that people refer to it as losing points. It seems to be conceptually difficult for many people to come to terms with gaining a negative. It is also associated with 'loss' of license, ('lose' a few demerit points, lose more and you lose a license?)
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

dlcat1 wrote:I think it's understandable that people refer to it as losing points. It seems to be conceptually difficult for many people to come to terms with gaining a negative. It is also associated with 'loss' of license, ('lose' a few demerit points, lose more and you lose a license?)
And don't forget the painful one - losing money from your wallet ;)

It is very dark.
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how many points you get on your P-Plates... i've been told 12, but i want to confirm this :)
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

If memory serves me correctly:
6 points for P's
12 points for full license
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
munchkin1981
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by munchkin1981 »

another last question is how do u find out if you have no points left ???
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/your ... /15639.asp has more info on the double or nothing, details and how many demerit points suspends your license for how long.

Munchkin you should receive a letter unless the address with dpi is out of date. If that is the case then when you get pulled over and the police check TADIS they would see it.

DPI Webpage wrote:8. I think I have possibly accumulated more than 12 demerit points but I haven't received a disqualification notice. What do I do?

You need to ensure that the Department has your correct address details. You can change them here.

For example, Mr. Smith accumulates 12 demerit points on his driving licence. The disqualification isn't personally served to Mr Smith as he has recently changed addresses. This means that his driving licence disqualification period cannot commence.

He continues to accumulate demerit points. He is located and personally served the Excessive Demerit Point Notice. The period of disqualification will depend on the number of demerit points accumulated. More than one Excessive Demerit Point Notice may be created and this will result in more than one disqualification period.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
munchkin1981
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by munchkin1981 »

thankyou for answering that guys(and no i have all my points no speading fines for me )
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

Nafenn wrote:Out of curiosity, does anyone know how many points you get on your P-Plates... i've been told 12, but i want to confirm this :)
Any driver can accumulate twelve points at the moment before their licence is suspended - this includes people on P-plates.

There is a planned change to this, which is set to happen "some time in 2009" - but no date has yet been set. This page on the Department of Transport's website says the following:
6. Are further changes planned for novice drivers?

It is expected that the demerit point limits for novice drivers will change in the new year (2009), however the exact date has not yet been finalised.

Under the new laws the following will apply:
  • If a person who has not held a driver’s licence for at least one year (or periods adding up to one year) or a person who has never held a driver’s licence gains four or more demerit points they will be disqualified for three months, after which they will have to re-apply for a new licence.
  • If a person who has held a driver's licence for at least one year, but less than two years (or periods adding up to two years) gains a total of eight or more points, they will be disqualified for three months, after which they will have to re-apply for a new licence.
  • To make it fairer for people who already have some demerit points, the points accrued before the new law takes effect will NOT count towards the four or eight point limit, but they WILL still count towards a 12 point limit. (This means that no driver will ever be able to gain 12 or more points without being subject to demerit point disqualification.)
More information will be made available closer to the time.

Until this information is available, the best way to avoid confusion or a possible licence disqualification is to not get ANY points!
For people on P-plates, it's a mixed bag. The good news is that any points accrued before the new laws come into effect won't count towards the four or eight point limit. The sting however is in the detail of the first two bullet-points. Unlike a full licence holder, who would lose their licence for three months and then get it back, a P-plate or L-plate driver would lose their licence (or permit) for three months and then have to start the licencing period again from scratch. This would include all the new rules such as spending a mandatory six months on stage-two L-plates, etc.

munchkin1981 wrote:another last question is how do u find out if you have no points left ???
As well as what Tyranus mentioned above, there is also an online form you can fill out to make an enquiry on how many points you have accumulated. Go here for more information.

It is very dark.
woobla1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by woobla1 »

I am all for tougher P Plate restrictions and points. However now I am off my P's for 10 years I can say this haha. Though maybe a different story if I was a kid who couldn't help putting the foot down. But I am sure the $$ plus having to sit it all again would make me think twice before being a moron.
CANT HEAR THE POLICE ANYMORE?
SEE THIS POST: http://warsug.info/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4424