Police not attending

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

Donga
150+ posts
150+ posts

Police not attending

Post by Donga »

Whats the point of having the 131 444 number when all they do is tell you to report the matter to your local police station?

On Saturday around 10:30am my twin sister rings me asking for the number of the police as my older brother had threatened to kill her and my 2 nephews in the course of an argument. I gave her the number and started making my way to her house by walking as I dont have my licence and had no other form of transport around at the time. I brought my scanner with me so I coul hear when the call went trhough. When I arrived I asked her if she had called the police and she had said yes but was told the police could not attend as my brother had left the premises and she would have to report the matter to the nearest police station. I rang back asking why they could not send a unit around and told the same thing by them I then explained that it was hard for my sister to attend the station to make a complaint as she had 2 children 1 10month old and 1 7year old boy and she had no transport and the fact it was too hot to cart her children around as it was 37degrees. They still would not send a car around and told me the same thing she would have to attend the station to make a complaint. I know at the time Warick district was very quiet as I had been listening to my scanner since she had rang me. This is not the first time this has happened to us ringing the 131 444 number a friend of mine had there house broken into and told again by the operater she would have to report it to the police station and I have had another friend who ha there car broken into and told the same thing. To me this is not good enought minor offence eg the car being broken into I can undersatnd but thretening a childs life that I dont get. SoThis I why I could not attend Saturay and for that I am sorry looking forward to the next meeting tho.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Re: Police not attending

Post by vk6hgr »

Donga wrote:Whats the point of having the 131 444 number when all they do is tell you to report the matter to your local police station?
Last time I rang the 13 number was because some tool broke a window on my car overnight as it sat in the driveway. They gave my an OR over the phone. Took all of 10 minutes... so dunno why they'd insist that you visit a station at all.

In your sister's case, perhaps the law requires applications for restraining orders to be made in person?
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
Donga
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Donga »

She did not want a restraining order she wanted him charged. Her partner has now made it difficult for that to happen tho.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

Donga wrote:She did not want a restraining order she wanted him charged.
Unless they or someone else was there to witness the threat, or if there's evidence of an assault it's only her word against his. Not to say that the threat didn't happen but no court would convict on the verbal evidence of one person :-(

She need to take a restraining order out against him. He can't threaten if he's not allowed to contact... Says here:

http://www.legalaid.wa.gov.au/InfoAbout ... olence.xml

Restraining orders have to be taken out in person at a court.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

Do you really think venting/bitching about it on a public forum is going to solve anything for you or your sister?
brad_88

Post by brad_88 »

ah well maybe hes just trying to warn us mate. chill

one time i tried ringin that number and i didnt have credit so it didnt connect. they should make it a free call
Ludacris
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ludacris »

Seems to me this forum is becoming a sledging match against WAPOL....
Millsy

Post by Millsy »

and very political, When it's about scanning.
Ludacris
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ludacris »

Few too many people making bold statements when they have no idea really............. and when I say that I mean no idea about the circumstances. (Not No idea in general)
Millsy

Post by Millsy »

Ludacris wrote:(Not No idea in general)
Though This Does Effect Some People.
Donga
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Donga »

This is an open forum yes I may be sledging and venting my anger towards the police. But I feel it needs to be said we pay taxes to have the police attened when they are needed and it seems to me anytime I have had freinds, family and myself call the 131 444 number they make excuses for the police no to attend. Last year I rang as I heard a large explosian near my house and reported it to the police theysaid no one else has complained about it so they will not send a car around. I rang as soon as I had heard it. I am sure other users of this forum have had similar experiance. As I had said at the time the incident between my brother happed Warick was very quiet as I had been listening in on my scanner if they had of been busy then I could understand them not attending
Antt
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Antt »

A unfortunate but all to common story, the police in thier infanant wisdom have downgraded alot of jobs almost in a need to attend basis, Due to the agressor leaving, they consider this job a simple domwstic complaint that can be taken at apolice station. I have had the same thing, i rang my local police and wanted to make a complaint about someone threating to kill me, they told me not to waste thier time and because noone actually heard this aside from me that it would be futile them even following it up due to "lack of witnesses" I feel you anger bro but it seems to be the way the polce are begining to handle things, On a need to attend basis, which sux arse.....
Ludacris
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ludacris »

Why whinge on here though..... People come here to talk about common interest of scanning...... If you have a complaint about police or the way they handled something there are right ways to do it..... Having an outburst on a forum is not going to get you anywhere.

How do you know they weren't busy, not everything goes on the radio for you to hear. Yes your taxes pay the wages, but they also pay the wages of those who choose not to work.........

Have you tried to arrange counselling for her brother, have you gone to a court today to get a restraining order........
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

Have to agree with Ludi,

Why did the Police need to attend, the people causing the problem had gone, there was no immediate threat and the matter could be dealt with at you local station.

Your sister would attend the station, make a complaint of whatever, make a statement or participate in an interview to establish the facts and then the POLICE would make some enquiries and prefer charges if they saw fit.

The Police don’t just drop everything and run just because you want them to, if there is a need for them to attend, in their opinion, then they will.

Lay off the Police, if you don’t like them then why do you listen to them.

As Ludi stated, the Police know that people listen to them and therefore some jobs don’t go over the radio. Trust me they weren’t down at your local maccas attending to a disorderly hamburgler.
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

I would say something but i wont