P Plater Copper

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

numloxx
Amateur callsign: VK6PCB

P Plater Copper

Post by numloxx »

Saw an undercover WAPOL car today, with P Plates!
Toottoot
Banned

Re: P Plater Copper

Post by Toottoot »

Theres heaps around. They are often used when cadets are running errands.
SteveNSWP

Post by SteveNSWP »

Sometimes here we will deliberately put P plates on unmarked vehicles to catch speeders/traffic offenders. Generally unmarked highway will do this as there cars are not so easily picked. Sometime people using detectives cars or other unmarked units for pro active work will also use P plates to catch out traffic offenders as unmarked cars usually stand out like dogs balls. Maybe they are doing something like this. Maybe someone can confirm this for me, but i'm pretty sure under the Australian Road Rules Police do not need to display P Plates on Police vehicles if the driver is on a P2 licence (Green P's). If on red then P's must be displayed on Police vehicles. I know this is how it is in NSW and it is definately legislated somewhere, just not sure if its NSW Traffic legislation or Australian Road Rules which would then apply to WAPOL too. If we get P1 drivers at work, we simply dont let them drive due to the embarrassment of seeing a Police car driving around with P plates. Crooks will presume that they can get into pursuit with us and that he driver can not exceed 80/90 k's or whatever speed they are limited to.

Steve.
There's no such things as stupid questions, just stupid people!
yorky

Post by yorky »

SteveNSWP wrote:Sometimes here we will deliberately put P plates on unmarked vehicles to catch speeders/traffic offenders.
If we get P1 drivers at work, we simply dont let them drive due to the embarrassment of seeing a Police car driving around with P plates.
Those statements cancel each other out a bit :P

Nah I understand what you mean take that comment light heartedly :)

I'm guessing WA and NSW road laws differ quite a bit on individual matters though I won't comment on putting P's up when your not on P's as I don't know the local ruling on that one.

I did however have an unmarked next to me on the way into work this morning with Green P's. Although he must have only just stuck it up that morning because it promptly fell off about half way along :lol: looked more like a d #-o
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
SteveNSWP

Post by SteveNSWP »

Very funny Yorky!! Now that I read that back they both do contradict each other. I suppose you feel better putting them on knowing that your being deceptive rather than having to display them because ur a young driver lol.

Actually NSW and WA road laws are now identical as is every other state/territory as the Australian Road Rules (ARR) were designed to make all states/territories road roals the same. But as far as licencing ect they are still state legislation and therefore do vary between jurisdictions. I just cant remember if the offence of not display P Plates comes from the ARR or the NSW Raod transport (Driver's Licence) Act. I do think it comes from ARR and i'm pretty sure that the Police exemption on displaying P's is found in the ARR somewhere near Rule 300 where we have permission to ignore road rules. If it is found in ARR, the WAPOL would also be exempt from displaying Green P's.

Steve.

I'm guessing WA and NSW road laws differ quite a bit on individual matters though I won't comment on putting P's up when your not on P's as I don't know the local ruling on that one.

I did however have an unmarked next to me on the way into work this morning with Green P's. Although he must have only just stuck it up that morning because it promptly fell off about half way along looked more like a d
There's no such things as stupid questions, just stupid people!
earmuff man

Post by earmuff man »

SteveNSWP wrote: Actually NSW and WA road laws are now identical as is every other state/territory as the Australian Road Rules (ARR) were designed to make all states/territories road roals the same.

Mate I think you will find WA didnt enter into the ARR and still go by there own RTA and code. t.o my knowledge they were the only state/territory to say no to the ARR

and its an offence "display P plates when not entitled" 50 bucks no points.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

The states still have their own Road acts. "Please note that the Australian Road Rules are model Rules only and have no legal effect." Whether states take part or some of those rules and use them in their own laws, is up to them. A change to the 'ARR' isn't reflected in other states unless they go through the relevant State Parliament.