Margin for Error with regards to speed cameras.

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

herbie1204

Margin for Error with regards to speed cameras.

Post by herbie1204 »

I was followed by Police and pulled over for speeding in Bullsbrook last night. Without going into specifics (I will not make comment about the offence at the moment as it may be prejudicial to replies to the question), what is the margin for error in relation to the speed reading device used in this circumstance.
WPXZBP

Re: Margin for Error with regards to speed cameras.

Post by WPXZBP »

I'd say zero.... speed and you'll get caught.
herbie1204

Post by herbie1204 »

WPXZBP wrote:I'd say zero.... speed and you'll get caught.
I think you're getting the 2 terms tolerance and margin for error mixed up. I am asking about the margin for error.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

As far as I'm aware, the in-car units (as you say you were followed by the police) are calibrated on a regular basis. So I would assume that the margin for error would only be slight, and that whatever tolerance they apply would take into account such a margin.

Long story short - if they claim you were speeding, there's every chance that you were. And even if you weren't, it's probably going to be too costly to fight. The path of least resistance is to pay the fine and get on with your life.
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

As Zebedee has said the officers regularly calibrate their speedo's, Radars, Lazers and camera's thus it's fair to say if you've been pulled over and booked for 10K's over the speed limit then you were doing 10 K's or very close to over the speed limit.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

not to mention that when setting up a Speed Camera, they test it with a radar gun to check that the camera is functioning propperly
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

Just pay the fine
I've closed the door!
woobla1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by woobla1 »

As the rest have said, if you go to a magistrates court and watch someone defend themselves for speeding
they are found guilty about 90% of the time. Bit like no one is guilty in prison right?.

I know it sucks, and it really will cost you less money + headache to just pay the fine and move on.
If you defend yourself, regardless if u win you will still be out of money probably 5x the original ticket price. Sucks but this is our system of justice and making the defendant pay some of the costs helps prevent frivolous lawsuits like in the US.

Besides are you always constantly watching the speedo + speed limits, like checking your speed every 5 seconds.
CANT HEAR THE POLICE ANYMORE?
SEE THIS POST: http://warsug.info/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4424
VK6LD
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by VK6LD »

The manufacturers technical data sheet will specify the device's accuracy (usually -/+ 1 to 2km/h).
bakerboy

Post by bakerboy »

herbie1204 wrote: seeing as the car manufacturers are legally allowed to have their speedos out by 10%, i would assume that kind of margin when taking speeds
haha nice answer mate :lol:

seeing as the car manufacturers are legally allowed to have their speedos out by 10%, i would assume that kind of margin when taking speeds

yes the device may be more accurate, although they are only calibrated every 12months (or so im told) and the constant setting up, packing up, driving around jolting the equipment will put the instrument out, so the closer to retest date the least accurate, always ask to see the calibration certificate, to see how recently its been calibrated, they are delicate machines, slight bumps will decrease accuracy and you should be certain that its within accepted error margins

(im studying surveying at uni, so i have a background with EDMs and thier operations which is why i raised the point re:callibration certificate)
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

I don't think the operator would appreciate you approaching them after you've been flashed, I think it wouldn't take long before you had the police around to remove you.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

I've got a GPS speedometer in my car and I've driven past multanovas at speedlimit + 5Kms and they haven't gone off. So I'd say the margin is at least speed limit + 5Kms :-)

The accuracy though is a different matter. Can't say I've ever been 'caught' speeding when I wasn't, though...
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

bakerboy wrote: seeing as the car manufacturers are legally allowed to have their speedos out by 10%, i would assume that kind of margin when taking speeds

Not anymore. Although tolerances are much stricter on post-2006 cars, there's nothing that says that radar guns and cameras have to be calibrated within the same tolerances as car speedometers. (Radars are far more accurate, which sucks if your car's speedo reads low)
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

Tyranus wrote:I don't think the operator would appreciate you approaching them after you've been flashed, I think it wouldn't take long before you had the police around to remove you.
Especially given recent events
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
Nick
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Nick »

ADR's state the speedometer is not allowed to read less than than the actual speed. Most car speedo's read 6% fast (as allowed by ADR's) but you will usually find the odometer says the correct distance. It is always safer to travel at the indicated speed. If in doubt use your navman or similar to check actual speed vs indicated speed.