Additional Patrols in the South West

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

timsam

Additional Patrols in the South West

Post by timsam »

Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody knows the frequencies, call signs etc for the new patrols down this way, or are they using Bunburys.

Unfortunatley I'm up in the hills and can't surch for them, but we (the boss and I) go through Bunbury fairly regularly.

Tim
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

Hi Tim,

I'm wondering if you can give us a little further information regarding these 'new patrols'

What are they for and how many vehicles is there? (If you know..)

Also what area are they patrolling? I will try and find out the frequency if you can give me a little more info..

Bonez
VK6FBNZ
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Due to the number of fatalities this year WAPOL are putting in extra traffic crews in the South West/Peel regions. Booze buses, 6 extra highway patrol vehicles and 2 extra cameras will be out and about as of Saturday (today). Wheatbelt and Great Southern traffic crews will be extending patrols into the South West and Peel areas. Afternoon and evenings I think were mentioned as the key times as most accidents occurred then.

From the ABC site:

Wednesday, 1 February 2006. 10:41 (AWST)
Police up-beat about reducing road deaths

The head of south-west traffic police says he is optimistic an extra police presence in the region will help to reduce the number of road fatalities.

Twenty-six people have died in traffic crashes in WA so far this year, with 11 of those on south-west roads.

Police have now announced they will send booze buses and more speed cameras to the region, and officers from the metropolitan-based traffic enforcement group will patrol local roads and highways.

Sergeant Mark Smith has welcomed the addition of extra resources, but says more still needs to be done to change driver attitudes.

"Enforcement and police presence out on the roads of rural WA is only one small part of it," he said.

"There's still a greater importance that drivers individually adopt safe driving practices and they maintain that standard of safety so that the roads are safe for everyone."
timsam

Post by timsam »

From the GWN news last night, it appears that the roster for the new patrols is being drawn up this week to include the high visability cars down this way, as well as 5 more cash caows, I mean multi novas :evil:

The original news item made it seem that just about every second car between Perth and Albany the long way was going to be a police car, this now seems to be rolled back a little.

Instead they will have the multi novas, and possibly a few extra cars, and lowered the speed limit between the Australind by pass and the round a bout at Bunbury by 10 km/hr, even though most of the fatalities seem to be occuring closer to the Mandurah end of the Old Coast Rd.

Tim