Question.

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

Mug
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93xlt

Question.

Post by Mug »

Although It would probably make more sense to just call 000, Do you think that if you found a mangled cop car and the officers in it were unconscious, you could grab a radio from inside the vehicle and transmit asking for help?

I assume ACMA might get at you for unlicensed and / or unauthorized use of a transmitter, but maybe they'd go a bit soft because you meant well?

I don't plan on distracting some cops , making them crash and then going and play with the radio, I'm just curious. :lol:
¡¡¡ʎɐq-ǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq oʇ ƃuıoƃ ɯı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Re: Question.

Post by robbage »

In life and death situations you are permitted to transmit.
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
jasonjag
Banned

Post by jasonjag »

[quote="Mug"]Although It would probably make more sense to just call 000, Do you think that if you found a mangled cop car and the officers in it were unconscious, you could grab a radio from inside the vehicle and transmit asking for help?

I assume ACMA might get at you for unlicensed and / or unauthorized use of a transmitter, but maybe they'd go a bit soft because you meant well?

I don't plan on distracting some cops , making them crash and then going and play with the radio, I'm just curious. :lol:[/quote]

I would use thier radio and transmit Officers down,you watch how fast 10 cars get there,,,jj
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

ACMA wouldnt say anything about it. It's the radio (apparatus) thats licensed, not the operator in the case of commercial radio licenses.
playworth
Banned

Post by playworth »

so let say officer is down in the woods and you have ya moblie. what better, using is radio to contact help quicker???
or use moblie and get asked heaps questions.
like what state u in. what ppl do u need. why are u calling. anhd blah blah..

i see better use the radio.. less the cop car has GPS back to VKI
NJ102 to VKI,where the option button on tadis.
VKI to NJ102,we dont have option button up here
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

You can come up with a million different scenario's. I think if it came down to it if the coppers life was in danger I would use a phone. Most phones now have speaker phone, and you can call and request for an ambulance or fire and rescue, put the phone on speaker and start performing 1st Aid, and when you're able to you can just provide information without having to stop press the PTT etc.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Toottoot
Banned

Post by Toottoot »

Now wouldn't the radio be set up with an emergency button you can push anyway? Our old radios were configured to Tx for 20 sec then Rx for 20 sec if it was put into emergency mode. Surely there is a panic button or something on them now.
Tyranus

Post by Tyranus »

Might well be but I'm not wasting time trying to learn their radio's when I could just as easily dial 000 and put on speaker and start first aid even before telstra have answered.
Stirling SES
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
yorky

Post by yorky »

Personally I know there is a (yellow?) button on the radio that is emergency only. That's the first button I'd go for, if it was transmitting (which is what they should do on the new radios) I'd give the 'ol officer down bit.

What that shows to VKI is that it IS that officer/vehicle's radio that has triggered the call. If you were to call up via mobile phone 'officer down' there is a high chance it will be treated as a hoax and even though initially it needs to be taken seriously, there is a large time of doubt and co-ordination of you saying where you are and what's going on.

I would talk to whoever is on the other end of the radio first off only because I know how to operate a radio properly, if it was a member of the public that doesn't know a thing about radios, it will be much quicker for them to just phone up.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
nra555
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by nra555 »

The cars have GPS in them, along with panic buttons.
The Gps is accurate to within a few meters, so if a car is traveling at 70kmh and then stops in an intersection all of a sudden, VKI can only assume its a MVA..
and if there was an emergency, id be going for the orange panic buttom ontop of the mic, if you press that button and you dont responde when VKI calls you then there will be alot of police cars heading your way P1!!!

or i would pick up the mic and start talking, like playworth said earlier the job will get sent to VKI anyway, so why not short cut that and tell VKI directly whats happening, chances are they will put your radio into another talk group so you can only hear VKI and can clearerly give a sit rep.
PRC-555
NRA-555

nra.org.au - join today to make UHF CB a more enjoyable band to use!
Toottoot
Banned

Post by Toottoot »

nra555 wrote:The cars have GPS in them, along with panic buttons.
The Gps is accurate to within a few meters, so if a car is traveling at 70kmh and then stops in an intersection all of a sudden, VKI can only assume its a MVA..
and if there was an emergency, id be going for the orange panic buttom ontop of the mic, if you press that button and you dont responde when VKI calls you then there will be alot of police cars heading your way P1!!!

or i would pick up the mic and start talking, like playworth said earlier the job will get sent to VKI anyway, so why not short cut that and tell VKI directly whats happening, chances are they will put your radio into another talk group so you can only hear VKI and can clearerly give a sit rep.
If VKI happens to be watching that particular car's dot at the time - is there history on the dot movements?
Tyranus

Post by Tyranus »

In a major accident though I'm not calling for police! Whether police are involved or not, I'm saying Fire and Rescue. I'd rather have fire trucks turning out to the MVA before Police, at least they have things like Oxygen and other equipment, I don't know if they have stiff neck collars in every single police car?
Stirling SES
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Turbo »

I would use my phone because I know how it works.
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

I think nobody no matter who you are - should even think about touching a radio. For one, your not trainned for it... Unless your an off duty cop and offering assistance, that could be a different story.

Dialing 000 will actually "record" the events incase it goes to court... If some random uses the radio to ask for help, the operator, might tell you to bugger off... I'd play it safe and use my phone!

just my 2 cents...
G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
woobla1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by woobla1 »

lol god u guys come up with some funny what ifs lol.

What the last fella said :D .
CANT HEAR THE POLICE ANYMORE?
SEE THIS POST: http://warsug.info/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4424