Listening to scanner in the car to help police

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

yorky

Listening to scanner in the car to help police

Post by yorky »

Hi guys,

Got a question, last night on my way home I came across two cars being very sus, P platers, full of people, going around in circles. I followed them for a bit since it was right near my house and I didn't want them causing shit in my area.

I had my scanner on, and two jobs came up indicating that they had been doing some nasty shit, beating up random people with weapons. First pol car drive past us :| and I couldn't catch it to come back. The two POI's pulled over so I cruised past and the 2nd job went out to an unmarked car which I also just missed as he drove past :|

I sat near by as a 3rd job came in P2 for a road on the other side of where I was/POI's parked so obviously they found someone else to bash and the unmarked came back to the address, which I met him there and told him the vehicles descriptions. He went back to the station for some reason great help there :|

Then a forth job came in from a security guard 1 more street over that I met another pol car there (NW105) and they had some victims there (kids) to take home. Lucky this time they stuck around to take details of which I gave all the appropriate stuff, which is the same as what the security guard saw as well. (PS cops were very very friendly and thanked us for the info)

Now I wanted to tell them I've been following the jobs on the scanner and this was the forth job on the issue as VKI never linked them together, but thought I better not. Would they be ok if I said I was listening in? The only reason I was following the pol cars was to try and give them the POI's descriptions as I didn't have my phone on me to call and update the job :(
hitman

Post by hitman »

I would've told them. At the end of the day there are no existing laws stating you are not permitted to own or operate a scanner.

Furthermore I would've made a better effort at flagging down or letting the police know about whatever you saw - especially if you believe you saw the POI's. Even if your wrong it is better for the police to pull the suspected car over and clear them of any wrong doing - but if your right, then they have you to thank.

I am of the strong belief that if you can help the police in any way possible, do it. The other night while drinking at a nightclub I used to bounce at there was a serious fight inside. I assisted the guys I know who still work at the club and when outside the Police insisted on arresting the guy as he was quite violent once we got him out. Since we had him still restrained after dragging him out the Police ordered us to lay him out on the ground. The guy struggled, we took him to the ground hard and the Police officer managed to get the cuffs around one of his wrists. Failing to restrain him further, the other bracelet was given to myself to cuff him.

If you can, help them out. Tell them your listening in so they don't think you are someone 'assuming' you know what's going on.
yorky

Post by yorky »

Cheers hitman :)

I did indeed try to flag down the first two police cars but they got away from me (the second one was right in front of me and I was frantically flashing my lights at him because the POI's where only 100m in the opposite direction to where he was going. Definitely if I told him where they were they would have MANY arrests because of there weapons.

I also think they were a bit layed back over the incident, as NJ109 also had a sticky beak and just stood around doing nothing whist the victims where in the paddy wagon getting there details. They should have at least gone for a trip around the block while we were talking as I'm sure they were still in the area.

I've prepped my car better for these circumstances now, I've set up my phone for voice recording through handfree headset so I can jot down the plate and vehicle direction, and will carry my camera with me as well, as if I got these guys plates things would have turned out better, as they have now got away. I'm also trying to figure out a mount for the camera (just a little digi cam) to sit on the dash so all I have to do is press shoot (plus it records video).
wascanner

Post by wascanner »

Well at least your not one of those car hoons that has one and uses it to escape the police.
Always RX

Post by Always RX »

yorky

Post by yorky »

:lol: if only I wasn't so small and weak I would join straight away :P
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Great work there yorky... that was very brave of you...

Hitman - well done to you on your "citizens" arrest - very well done.

I agree with you both on this - that we should help police in every way possible to help catch POI's - to a certain extent which doesn't put your life in danger....

I say tell them that you have a scanner - "Hi I'm joe bloggs - i heard something is happening on my scanner - and i have information that can help you guys" - I am sure they would DEFINATLEY appreciate it....
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Re: Listening to scanner in the car to help police

Post by Zebedee »

yorky wrote:Now I wanted to tell them I've been following the jobs on the scanner and this was the forth job on the issue as VKI never linked them together, but thought I better not. Would they be ok if I said I was listening in? The only reason I was following the pol cars was to try and give them the POI's descriptions as I didn't have my phone on me to call and update the job :(
Hmmmmm tricky ... If I were in the same situation, I'd probably make the decision on mentioning my scanner based on what else was going on around me and whether telling the police that I've heard something on the scanner would help or clarify the situation or not...

Have a look at the FAQ entries 16, 21, 26 and 27 though for the "collective wisdom".

In general I don't see the harm in telling the Police what you know and why you know it if it can help the situation. What I'm dead set against though is people getting in the way (which I know wasn't what you were doing, I'm just making a general observation here :) )
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
doogues71
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by doogues71 »

ya i to have helped the police out. a cop chase in manning some years ago now.The chase finished at the back of the manning squash courts.Went outside to have a look and saw this shadow figer ran across the street in front of my place and a few minutes later the K9 car came toward me.And i flagged him down and told him what i saw.A few seconds later i heard the K9 dog barking and a guy shouting.They had got him.
Eidolon

Post by Eidolon »

Just remember that you are not allowed to act upon information received via a police scanner.

It would be wiser to not disclose that you have a scanner.

Trust me, I've been there and done that. Some boys in blue can take it to heart and think of it as an invasion of their privacy and workplace, impeding their duties or class you as a "wannabe".

I would definitely commend you for your observation and reporting skills, but just advise the police that you were in the right place at the right time.

~e~
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Guys, last night i helped out the GL troops in Leederville last night....There was 2 POI's armed with knives etc around 10:15pm - they ran through Cosmos Kebabs going towards the carpark after assualting a Afghan person just in front of the shop.

I was driving past and heard the comotion, then spotted one of the POI's on the side of Vincent Street - I alerted the guys in GL103 and made an arrest - they questioned me - I told them i heard it on the scanner - I was driving home, not snooping around and thought i would let them know....

At no time did they seem bothered about my scanner, cause they understand i was helping them catch someone who was armed...the place was crawling with police after that - so a big night - It was a confirmed 201 so yeah.... :)
Tom
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Tom »

Mr G,

Slightly off topic, but I came in contact with some GL troops this morning.

I stopped off at the Children's Court after photographing some Transwa Scania coaches at the East Perth terminus, when a couple of coppers pulled up behind AG251 in GL101.

I saw them out of the corner of my eye, but grabbed a couple more shots of AG251, the driver initally didn't take any notice of my photography, but returned to ask me what I was doing.

Once I explained he seemed cool with my hobby and then carried on his merry way.

cheers

Tom
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Look forward to checking out your photos- and glad they went off on there way without hassling you for taking photos.
Tom
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Tom »

Just posted them on oz_pol then Mr G.

Vehicle parked in a public area, nothing they can really do or say as it isn't breaking the law.

Public affairs also mentioned that as long as I am not taking intricate close-up pics of the communication eqp. and/or preventing the vehicle carrying out it's lawful duty it's fine.

cheers dude

Tom
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Whats the website for it Tom? so i can go and check them out. Cheers