Police and Australia Day

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

Do you think lollies are the anwser

Poll ended at Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:39 pm

yes
35%
no
53%
other (say below)
12%

Total votes: 17

sn_quinlivan

Police and Australia Day

Post by sn_quinlivan »

Lollies are they the anwser i don't think so because there more of a little sweet and they are not going to stop people from getting into fights
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Re: Police and Australia Day

Post by vk6hgr »

sn_quinlivan wrote:Lollies are they the anwser i don't think so because there more of a little sweet and they are not going to stop people from getting into fights
I don't think that's the intention of handing out Minties at the skyshow. It's a public relations exercise to those who are doing the right thing and gives the police a more relaxed environment in which to walk amongst the crowds and keep an eye on things :)
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
Ludacris
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ludacris »

where are these lollies going to be kept whilst walking around................ You want people to hand out lollies use the SES..
Last edited by Ludacris on Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Millsy

Post by Millsy »

I Agree 100% with Ludacris. Biggest waste of money ever .
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

According to the news, the Minties were donated by Coles.

Great PR exercise, really - small token for those that are doing the right thing. Theres always lots on about telling off those that misbehave - rewarding those that are doing the right thing, regardless of how small the reward might be, is a good thing! :D
Ludacris
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ludacris »

Fastlane wrote:According to the news, the Minties were donated by Coles.

Great PR exercise, really - small token for those that are doing the right thing. Theres always lots on about telling off those that misbehave - rewarding those that are doing the right thing, regardless of how small the reward might be, is a good thing! :D
I do the right thing everyday and what do I get.... Kicked at, spat at, called names that your mother would be horrified at.........

Police are there to uphold the law not act as fairies............
Last edited by Ludacris on Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Guys - Especially Ludacris - I totally agree with you guys on this...i do hope that 3/4 of our population actually (hopefully) respect the great job that Police do everyday - some of the crazy stuff they have to deal with....I don't think Minties are going to turn HOONS into Driving Angels, and drunken louts into Sober Angels either.....I agree with Ludacris - the money can be spent on better equping our Police Officers...

If they want to reward people, why not do it in another way - in the means of safe driving of an x amount of time = free $20 fuel voucher - Or something like that -..................
pinkbosseslady
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by pinkbosseslady »

On leavers they had a specail group that was handing out lollies they were the "Red Frog Patrol" and of course handed out those littel red frogs. The thing with this was it started heaps of storys that they make you sober and that you have less chance of "cracking a big woddie" like that hat says.
sn_quinlivan

Post by sn_quinlivan »

[quote]According to the news, the Minties were donated by Coles.

Great PR exercise, really - small token for those that are doing the right thing. Theres always lots on about telling off those that misbehave - rewarding those that are doing the right thing, regardless of how small the reward might be, is a good thing![/quote]

They have a picture in the community newspaper in the wanneroo times on second page it has a person from nestle, the commissioner and a person from coles

Quoting may be rong still getting used to Sorry
Donga
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Donga »

I think its a great PR exercise by the police. As the local paper states the minties were donated by coles and Nestle. So none of the police budget was used for the idea. I wonder how many the police hand out and how many they end up eating them selves. I think there will still be trouble at the skyshow no matter what ideas the police come up with to prevent it.
Tom
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Tom »

I remember a few years ago there was a safe driving campaign rewarding drivers who do the right thing on out roads.

From memory they gave out a certificate.

However at the time I couldn't see a traffic-car pulling someone over to pat them on the back for their driving skills.

Seems a bit of a point-less exercise to me, just one more thing to carry on their utility belts along with the prayer mats, bibles and turbans...

cheers

Tom (can someone tell me what a nambie pambies is??...)
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

My opinion is - whether it helps or not, it can't make things worse so why not give it a go.

I think it's a great PR excercise - it shows that the police are people too, we shouldn't forget that while we're down by the river having a good time with friends and family, they're on duty at work and not able to spend time with THEIR families.

Anything to foster the impression that the police are not big and scary *all* the time has to be good. There's another possibility of a "freebie" from the police if you were listening to 94.5 yesterday morning :)
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Smiffy

Post by Smiffy »

I thought the Police were supposed to have an neutral relationships with all members of the community including large corporate companies like Coles and Allens (Minty Mob).

Sounds like the only one benefiting from this are those two companies. Free advertising....I think it suck's and not what the police meant to stand for.

What's next, coppers walking around with advertising slogans on their uniforms.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

Corporate sponsorship of community programmes or similar is nothing new. Look at Neighborhood Watch, Crimestoppers and Constable Care.. both have large amounts of visible corporate sponsorship.

RAC Rescue 1 Helicopter - gee, I wonder if that is sponsored! Duracell sponsors the smoke alarm battery campaign each year.. HBF sponsored the SES for quite a while.. the list goes on.

Nothing wrong with private enterprise putting something back into the community - in fact, it should be applauded. Would you prefer they were all greedy and didnt give anything back?
Ludacris
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ludacris »

Well they are all sections that use advertising for funding................. Lets just hope that my mother doesn't get bashed whilst some copper has to give someone a mintie........................

again don't use coppers.............................