TASERS!!!!

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

SteveNSWP

TASERS!!!!

Post by SteveNSWP »

Hey all,

We have just been issued with Taser's over here in NSW. Unfortunately they are only issuing them to supervisors and DO at this time, but we are expecting an eventual roll-out to all NSW Police.

I'm just curious about WA's issuing and use of the taser. Are the Taser's issued to every officer over in WA and what are the SOPS for their use? How long has WA had them and do you guys have the camera's in them like we do here in NSW? Also does WA have the black taser's or the flouro yellow ones? We have been given fluro yellow ones, im assuming that this is so we dont confuse them with our glocks and accidentally shoot someone. they must think we are dumb!

Cheers,

Steve.
There's no such things as stupid questions, just stupid people!
yorky

Post by yorky »

What I know isn't fact, just what I've seen.

A lot of officers now carry them, you'd be hard pressed to see an officer without one.

They are the yellow ones, X something (X50's? EDIT: Actually X26). Not sure if they are the camera model, doubt it. And dumb? There were two officers just this (or last) week slapped for waving there FIREARMS around willy nilly.
Last edited by yorky on Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

From memory (and a serving WA officer will be able to answer this much better than I can), a similar thing happened here - they were issued to certain people in certain roles first, and then expanded out to cover more and more officers as time went on...
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
HM-106

Post by HM-106 »

Your right there Zebedee, the TRG boys are always the first to use new toys.

I would not expect anyone to discuss any SOP's over the internet. I would dare say that your SOP's would be similar to ours.

Regards
Hm-106
HM-106 now Y?201/202/101.
Scottus

Post by Scottus »

This is a slightly different question about the tasers i was wondering how they are powered and how many shocks/shots they can give over a period of time, before reloading (if they reload)
cheers 8)
yorky

Post by yorky »

I think they might be X26's, and it would depend on how many Cartridges the officer carries otherwise they would have to go hands on and shove the taser where the sun don't shine ;)
Scottus

Post by Scottus »

So what happens if they miss, does the barb retract or something?
donks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by donks »

Scottus wrote:So what happens if they miss, does the barb retract or something?
i believe the barbs are a one shot unit or something.. so if they miss... too bad>?? lol..

TASER X26
People call me an "Egotistic Jackass"... I prefer the term "Confident Donkey" --->Donks for short
yorky

Post by yorky »

Yep, if you miss then bad luck. Though I would rather a cop missing with a taser rather than a firearm.
Scottus

Post by Scottus »

thanks for that
nra555
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by nra555 »

As mentioned befor, I was told by a cop, if you miss, you can retract the cartridge and drive the two terminals into the POI, like you would with a stun gun.
Still, best not to miss.

they only work to 6 meters or similar anyway.
PRC-555
NRA-555

nra.org.au - join today to make UHF CB a more enjoyable band to use!
yorky

Post by yorky »

I don't think they retract, the models I've seen don't have the mechanism to do that.

However I think the officer was more or less talking about simply removing the firing unit and using it as a stun gun?
jasonjag
Banned

Tasers fired

Post by jasonjag »

Once an officer fires a taser and the charge has dispersed, the cartridge is removed and another is inserted in ready for use. jj
nra555
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by nra555 »

yorky wrote:I don't think they retract, the models I've seen don't have the mechanism to do that.

However I think the officer was more or less talking about simply removing the firing unit and using it as a stun gun?
Sorry mate, Miss-use of words by me, That's exactly what I ment, they can take the cartridge off the taser and use the taser as a stungun.
PRC-555
NRA-555

nra.org.au - join today to make UHF CB a more enjoyable band to use!
SteveNSWP

Post by SteveNSWP »

Just curious, where are the spare catridges kept. Here we have two spares in two pouches attached to the holster of the taser. Along with the camera attachment, it makes the taser a large peice of equipment to put on ones belt. Ive notice that WA Police only have the holder for the taser without pouches for spare cartridges, which looks alot more compact. Just wondering where the spare cartridges are kept and how many spares do u carry?

Cheers,

Steve.
There's no such things as stupid questions, just stupid people!