VKI Procedures

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

SteveNSWP

VKI Procedures

Post by SteveNSWP »

Just wondering why its necessary that cars must seek permission off VKI to engage in urgent duty driving and when authorised they must supply their vehicle category, driver classification and regimental (im assuming thats there Registered # like we have in NSW). I've heard a few pursuits and urgent assist calls where the vehicle is trying to broadcast but radio has to keep acknowledging other cars as responding who give the above details chewing up air time. Also when cars are in pursuit or calling urgent, I cant understand why cars are requesting permission from comms to proceed on urgent duty to assist there own collegues. And why is comms required to know the vehicle class and driver certification and regimental? Does the car have to wait for airspace b4 proceeding urgent to back up other cops?

This metho chews up airtime obviously, and i just cant understand why comms need to know those details. Plus why should cops have to seek permission from (more often than not) civilian radio operators. We are the Police.

BTW this is in now way meant as any dig or insult on VKI who no doubt do a great job like our comms does here in NSW. Just I cant understand why the policy is that way...maybe sumone can explain.

Here in NSW, if a car calls urgent assist, we just say our callsign and responding code red eta 5 mins. We dont ask we tell. Radio or a supervisor may stand us down if NFC required or if we are 10 mins away and there are 5 cars code red eta 2 mins, we will be asked to down grade to blue response. But we dont need to ask, give our certification or veh cat, or registered #.

In pursuits veh cat and driver cert are obviously required and our pursuits seem to be called identical to urs, except permission to pursue is not authorised, we just engage until terminated. No regimental is required. When a pursuits engaged, other cars proceed urgent but do ot advise comms because during pursuit, the primary has sole use of radio, unless other cas wish to advise the set up of spikes etc. We dont need to advise that we are code red during pursuits.

Wats other peoples thought?

Steve!
There's no such things as stupid questions, just stupid people!
ryno

Post by ryno »

Civilian operators do not authorise priority drives. That always comes from a sworn member.
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Post by robbage »

Doesn't the RadSup authorise such things? I suspect that the preamble with driver and vehicle class is for the tape
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
RubberDucky
Banned

Post by RubberDucky »

Firstly what do you mean by
SteveNSWP wrote:We are the Police.
Yes you are the police, and are employees as are any other employees for any other other organisation required carry out your job within the rules and laws assigned.

It allows for a controlled response, rather than having 50 units decide that they are going to go speeding from one end of the city to another there are only the required cars responding.

There is a chain of command in WAPOL and the authority of the commanding officer is respected rather than everybody having the attitude that I can just do what I want.

It stops officers who are caught speeding from saying "I was going to help these guys" when really they had no excuse to be speeding and as such can be confirmed by the radio log. This eliminates one avenue of corruption.
"Quack Quack" Rubber Ducky - Sesame Street
woobla1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by woobla1 »

Didn't you post this exact same message many months ago? and get many replies and answers too it in that thread?

here it is.

http://warsug.info/viewtopic.php?t=3638
CANT HEAR THE POLICE ANYMORE?
SEE THIS POST: http://warsug.info/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4424
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

woobla1 wrote:Didn't you post this exact same message many months ago? and get many replies and answers too it in that thread?
No, he didn't.

If you've got nothing useful to add to the thread, then don't be a smart-arse.
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
StreetBob

Post by StreetBob »

Zebedee wrote:
woobla1 wrote:Didn't you post this exact same message many months ago? and get many replies and answers too it in that thread?
No, he didn't.

If you've got nothing useful to add to the thread, then don't be a smart-arse.
I agree, his previous post was on a different subject.

Anyway the way I see it as an outsider our drivers appear to have different qualifications etc Steve. Some are priority one drivers who are highly skilled and some are priority two and when they call up (in the old days :cry: ) VKI can then assign which driver is better suited to the task. My 2 cents woth.
Ian VK6 TVG
playworth
Banned

Post by playworth »

better than having cat unlimited or cat A B C nowsdays its P1 or P2 o3 P3.
NJ102 to VKI,where the option button on tadis.
VKI to NJ102,we dont have option button up here
SteveNSWP

Post by SteveNSWP »

Thanks fot the replies guys, much appreciated! Again, I meant no disprespect to civilain comms operators....but i still feel that Police should ever have to ask permission to respond a certain code/priority.

And to answer your question RubberDucky....what i meant by "WE ARE THE POLICE" is that .... WE ARE THE POLICE! We are trusted with guns, batons, taser, OC Spray, and also the abiliy to drive urgent duty. When the *#@! hits the fan u call us to respond and solve ur problems.

Some Police may have the attitude of "We can do whatever we like" but my questions was asking why sworn police must ask permission to respond urgent to calls for back up etc, from radio and why they must give all that dribble about there licence class and vehicle cat. If we are entrusted with carrying guns etc, cant we be trusted to know if we can respond urgent based on our veh cat and driver class. And why must we seek permission.

Here in NSW we dont ask, we tell, and if a supervisor decides that there are ten cars closer an that u dont really need to respond urgently then we are stood down. The authority of the Supv is not questioned.

You seem to be implying that Im suggesting cops can do whatever we like without consequence and that this is our attitude. My comment was only reflecting the stupidity of a policy where Police must ask civilians if they can respond urgently. ie: I heard a WAPOL radio transmission where a POI was attempting to grab one of the officers' guns and one of the officers was accidently tasered by her own weapon...they call urgent...she sounds distressed, and u hear cars asking VKI for permission to respond urgently then they must give all that info. I dont ask for permission EVER to repond to other cops calling for help. If i get stood down later then fair enough. All that dribble about ur veh class etc...why does radio need that. It chews up air space and im pretty sure that the cops know their own veh cat and driver class, and whether or not they should be drving urgent. We are trusted with guns why cant we be trusted with knowledge. We dont have to give all that info here, we just let them know our code of response and eta.

That was my argument rubberducky, and i just wanted to know if others agreed or disagreed...and I dont think you understood that!

Stay safe!

Steve.
There's no such things as stupid questions, just stupid people!
woobla1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by woobla1 »

SteveNSWP wrote:Thanks fot the replies guys, much appreciated! Again, I meant no disprespect to civilain comms operators....but i still feel that Police should ever have to ask permission to respond a certain code/priority.

And to answer your question RubberDucky....what i meant by "WE ARE THE POLICE" is that .... WE ARE THE POLICE! We are trusted with guns, batons, taser, OC Spray, and also the abiliy to drive urgent duty. When the *#@! hits the fan u call us to respond and solve ur problems.

Some Police may have the attitude of "We can do whatever we like" but my questions was asking why sworn police must ask permission to respond urgent to calls for back up etc, from radio and why they must give all that dribble about there licence class and vehicle cat. If we are entrusted with carrying guns etc, cant we be trusted to know if we can respond urgent based on our veh cat and driver class. And why must we seek permission.

Here in NSW we dont ask, we tell, and if a supervisor decides that there are ten cars closer an that u dont really need to respond urgently then we are stood down. The authority of the Supv is not questioned.

You seem to be implying that Im suggesting cops can do whatever we like without consequence and that this is our attitude. My comment was only reflecting the stupidity of a policy where Police must ask civilians if they can respond urgently. ie: I heard a WAPOL radio transmission where a POI was attempting to grab one of the officers' guns and one of the officers was accidently tasered by her own weapon...they call urgent...she sounds distressed, and u hear cars asking VKI for permission to respond urgently then they must give all that info. I dont ask for permission EVER to repond to other cops calling for help. If i get stood down later then fair enough. All that dribble about ur veh class etc...why does radio need that. It chews up air space and im pretty sure that the cops know their own veh cat and driver class, and whether or not they should be drving urgent. We are trusted with guns why cant we be trusted with knowledge. We dont have to give all that info here, we just let them know our code of response and eta.

That was my argument rubberducky, and i just wanted to know if others agreed or disagreed...and I dont think you understood that!

Stay safe!

Steve.
I agree with you Steve, I wouldn't ask for permission I would respond if someone else needed it. Deal with the 'consequences' later.

It does not make sense. Compared to every other responsibility they are given too. Especially when there is just a civillian at the other end of the radio.
CANT HEAR THE POLICE ANYMORE?
SEE THIS POST: http://warsug.info/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4424
HM-106

Post by HM-106 »

I agree with you Steve.

However going urgent to back up mates and going urgent for a domestic/fight are two totally different driving behaviours. Procedures go out the window sometimes depending on the situation.

In the end, if im acting in good-faith ill rest easy to know that ill have support from my boss.

Regards
Josh
HM-106 now Y?201/202/101.
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

As long as you can justify your actions then you are safe as houses:)
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

dazla wrote:As long as you can justify your actions then you are safe as houses:)
Hmmmm....I wouldn't like to use that thingy ma doob after some of the houses i've seen!!! :P but we know where you're coming from!
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.