Speed cameras

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

Bonez

Re: Speed cameras

Post by Bonez »

I've not ever seen them randomly putting signs out..

Could be just packing or setting up, the sign might be the first or last thing that goes out, depending on the operator. Then again, you might have just not seen the camera :)
numloxx
Amateur callsign: VK6PCB

Post by numloxx »

Well I was doing 60km/h so all is well :)
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

That's the main thing :)

I drove from Augusta to Bunbury today, stopped off for an hour or so then from Bunbury back to Perth. So many idiots on the road it was not funny.

Tailgating me, passing at 150km/h in the overtaking lanes etc. No wonder WA has the highest road toll this Christmas season. I don't really know when people will learn....!!

Sorry... I'm going off topic on a rampage now. I'll get back in my box :)

Cheers
Bonez
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

I saw the camera setup on Morley Dr in it's common spot not far from Alexander Dr. Saw the Anytime Anywhere sign but didn't see the Are you speeding? sign. Are they still putting these up? For the record, no I did not get my photo taken.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
familyman

Post by familyman »

Dont know about the "anywhere anytime" sign , but here in Geraldton they have been putting out the multinova everyday, and somebody put up a "multinova ahead" sign, and for the record my photo wasn't taken :wink:
phreak
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by phreak »

if two cars get flashed by a speed camera on a dual carriage way, one in the left lane, the other in the right who gets the fine? an idiot in the right lane was overtaking me just as we passed a speed camera and FLASH... mind you i wasn't speeding as i had seen the 'anywhere, anytime' sign ahead. but as a general rule, do these types of shots taken by the multanova get dismissed or followed up?
CDC Fire Rescue - Volunteer Firefighter
A52 - Volunteer Firefighter
yorky

Post by yorky »

I've had that happen to me twice, both times me sitting in the left lane doing the limit or under and had a less than intelligent person go flying past at the same time as the flash. I didn't receive anything from them thankfully.

I can remember a discussion I had with the camera op at the Open Day a couple years ago I think the question popped up, and he said that the camera usually knows which car it is and with the more high tech cameras its even easier. Of course this info may be different for the different types of cameras in operation. There are a couple of very flash (excuse the pun) newer cameras that he said at the time is extremely unlikely that you will escape a fine IF its you doing the speeding (another feature included a several frames per second capability to rattle off the pics continually).

Newer (still in testing?) cameras will have a video function and possible front/rear photo as well according to past news reports.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

As yorky said it depends on the camera, there are some that take it within a set frame which is keyed up it will detect the 2 lane speeds at different times. If it is unable to determine who then the frames are ignored.
Also as pointed out while they are trialling new ones one of the systems that they were looking at is capable of checking 8 different speeds at the same time by using laser. This would be good for above the freeway for example, if 2 cars are speeding and one isn't, it'll photograph all 3 with their speeds next to them and the 2 speeders will receive a fine. Had the discussion a while back so may no longer be relevant.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
phreak
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by phreak »

hey guys thanks for the feedback. ha a camera operator setup near my home the other day so i went over and had a chat to him. firstly thanked him for the service he was doing, he seemed taken back by the compliment but accepted it none the less. he confirmed pretty much everything you said above.
CDC Fire Rescue - Volunteer Firefighter
A52 - Volunteer Firefighter
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

Noticed one on the way home from college the other day...

the camera was setup on the side of the road, and the opperator had parked in a houses driveway :|
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
ConstableCare
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by ConstableCare »

Nafenn wrote:the camera was setup on the side of the road, and the opperator had parked in a houses driveway :|
Not at all uncommon if the person is a concerned rate-payer and want's something done about the traffic in the local area... Happens quite often!

CC 8)