Police Prep Course

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

woobla1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Police Prep Course

Post by woobla1 »

Hi guys.

Can anyone reccomend, or give feed back on any police prep courses for state and federal that you may know of?

Im looking for the info on the aptitude and stuff like that.

I know they used to run an actual course you went to at a tafe or something but cant seem to find that now?.

Thanks.
donks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by donks »

Force Course @ Swan Tafe.....
People call me an "Egotistic Jackass"... I prefer the term "Confident Donkey" --->Donks for short
LPD

Post by LPD »

Last year whilst refining my fitness levels I completed a simple Police Preparation course that was run at West Coast TAFE Joondalup (the campus opposite the Academy). Basically I wanted to be as close as possible to the entire application process. It was also part of making an informed final decision. It was a 3 night a week short course run over 3 months. The course is extremely affordable.

The majority of the work is very basic though it is useful if one needs to brush up their weak points (for example I needed to brush up on my maths problem solving abilities – oh why didn’t I pay more attention in high school maths?!).

Some people will get a lot out of the course, whilst others I’m sure will be able to breeze through it blindfolded. You become familiar with the Police Entrance Exams (literacy, numeracy, general reasoning, psychological exam), gain the required certificates (Senior First Aid), computer/typing skills if needed, panel interview skills (even though that’s no longer required at the academy) etc. An officer from recruitment comes to have a chat with the class and also the head of WAPOL Organisational Psychology Unit if you’re lucky.

For me it was also a good source of extra information regarding the application process and academy in general - the lecturer of the course at that time was extremely knowledgeable and was one of the people who formulated the Diploma of Public Safety (Policing) award at the Academy. Now I believe the course is run by one of the people who used to perform the testing and panel interviews at the Academy.

In terms of myself everything was good to go, but unfortunately in the end I wasn’t able to apply due to a re-occurring sports injury which affected my long-distance running capabilities – doh! After a couple of months in physio I’m building up my fitness again. At the current time I’m pursuing employment with the WA Police as a civilian (received one offer, but holding out on another one).

I’ve also been told that there is/was a more extensive full-time Police Preparation course run in Thornlie where you are able to undertake non-operational work in Police stations. But I cannot verify that information!

In the Eastern States I also believe that some Police Preparation courses may also include some physical training.
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

There is also Paragon Training - www.paragontraining.com.au

They offer state & federal police/military prep courses, quite a few of them. They also do security operations certificates etc too.
Tyson846
Scanners and Receivers: 93XLT

Post by Tyson846 »

this information has helped me quite a bit

i hope to take the preparation course in july at my local tafe

i need to brush up on my maths skills quite abit
LPD

Post by LPD »

Isn't it always the maths? I always thought to myself sitting in boring maths class at high school "where on earth am I ever going to use these obscure maths problem solving skills in my future work?"

Answer: In the Police Entrance Exam!!!

Btw, I know of a couple of people who did the Paragon Training - they had good things to say about it. It's also run by a person formally involved with the WAPOL Academy testing.
woobla1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by woobla1 »

LPD wrote:Isn't it always the maths? I always thought to myself sitting in boring maths class at high school "where on earth am I ever going to use these obscure maths problem solving skills in my future work?"

Answer: In the Police Entrance Exam!!!

Btw, I know of a couple of people who did the Paragon Training - they had good things to say about it. It's also run by a person formally involved with the WAPOL Academy testing.

haha yes my problem exactly. My problem solving + spelling and all that jazz is ok. Maths how ever eeek. Alls I can do is add up , and subtract and hell I can do most things with a calculator (as you can in the real world) but why not for this? Meh but hopefully the whole thing will help and will be a refresher.
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

Paragon Training are excellent, I used their books to get into the AFP and I would recommend them to anyone wanting to join the emergency services.

They also do private tutoring and fitness training on a regular basis.
trent

Post by trent »

dazla wrote:Paragon Training are excellent.
I second that.
This is my signature, get you own!
donks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by donks »

trent wrote:
dazla wrote:Paragon Training are excellent.
I second that.
i third that.. i have the folder and CD-roms next to me right now.. A LOT of helpful material!!!!
People call me an "Egotistic Jackass"... I prefer the term "Confident Donkey" --->Donks for short
woobla1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by woobla1 »

in that case would any of you on sell the stuff to me for cheaper?
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

You mean would I breach copyright laws and sell on the product?

Na probably not, I still read them everynow and then as I am thinking about joining the reserves.
woobla1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by woobla1 »

dazla wrote:You mean would I breach copyright laws and sell on the product?

Na probably not, I still read them everynow and then as I am thinking about joining the reserves.
No I meant that if anyone has their original copy they no longer need, they can on sell it to me. Whats illegal about that?.
Second hand goods.

If not I will fork out the 200+ or look elsewhere for other alternatives :D
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

You only really need the books that work on the area where you are lacking, I still use mine but you might find some around if you look hard enough.