South Metro

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

bradley

south metro channel

Post by bradley »

so if i buy my self a digital scanner will i be able to hear the cops on that.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

No
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Tyranus

Post by Tyranus »

grant_oz wrote:The way around listing to the cops is buy a motorola xts3000 S 3 mine cost me $675 from the states and i can hear them all,at $675 its cheaper than the digital scanners that dont work :lol:
Can't wait to see if it's still working for you when they pull pin holding the analogue and digital together!
Stirling SES
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
bradley

south metro

Post by bradley »

so what use are these new digital scanners to us.y wont they pick up the police.
gkoutlis

Re: south metro

Post by gkoutlis »

bradley wrote:so what use are these new digital scanners to us.y wont they pick up the police.
Its called Encryption
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
bradley

south metro

Post by bradley »

iam only new to scanners.what do you mean by encryption.will we ever be able to listen to them.
yorky

Post by yorky »

Basically even if you had a digital scanner/radio you would need the rolling encryption keys from the radio network which the police network is now able to monitor and include/exclude specific radios. Obviously a digital scanner won't have said coding.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
playworth
Banned

Post by playworth »

wow this like 200th time ive heard You say the same there. copy and paste should work for you everytime yorky.
NJ102 to VKI,where the option button on tadis.
VKI to NJ102,we dont have option button up here
Tyranus

Post by Tyranus »

It's really sad that we've had to say the same thing 200 times in as many threads nearly
Stirling SES
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
CHEV4EVR
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by CHEV4EVR »

grant_oz wrote:The way around listing to the cops is buy a motorola xts3000 S 3 mine cost me $675 from the states and i can hear them all,at $675 its cheaper than the digital scanners that dont work :lol:
Well that was a waste of $675. Yes they maybe the portables WAPOL use but without the encryption key they are duds. Not even WAPOL radios can access every talk group. Try listening to a talkgroup starting with a 2 or 3...... :twisted: or anything in the WAPOL Mhz digital range.

Yes the encryption has been running on all digital channels from the very beginning. Again the only way you have been able to listen is because of the analogue patch.
grant_oz

xts

Post by grant_oz »

Tyranus wrote:
Can't wait to see if it's still working for you when they pull pin holding the analogue and digital together!
I dont think ill have a problem,its picking up what my scanner cant, on scanner its one way conversation on xts can hear vki and car,its got the UCM encryption board in it and the securenet digital,has 16 key encryption and algorithms,it runs the same system as the police,it wasnt turn it on and away you go it did need to be programed,it came with the software there are heaps of underground sites that tell you what you need to know.How legal it is i dont know,it came thru customs and wasnt stopped.
AV201
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: xts

Post by AV201 »

grant_oz wrote:
Tyranus wrote:
I dont think ill have a problem,its picking up what my scanner cant, on scanner its one way conversation on xts can hear vki and car,its got the UCM encryption board in it and the securenet digital,has 16 key encryption and algorithms,it runs the same system as the police,it wasnt turn it on and away you go it did need to be programed,it came with the software there are heaps of underground sites that tell you what you need to know.How legal it is i dont know,it came thru customs and wasnt stopped.
:lol: :lol:
perhaps at the time being (because the radios are patched on analogue), because every radio has a assigned key, and these keys can be changed. Its actually not 1 key that runs on the whole thing. and the base has to assign the key in accordance with the radio...like a mac address (only not) (for computer peoples)...

Thats why radios have a serial number (identifying it as a unique radio) and a encryption serial number (which is assigned to every radio) now you may have this but if it doesnt match up with op's then you will get a KEY FAIL...simple..

oh and yes, General Duty police radios do not have access to all channels, as i said every radio has a unique code, so therefore you can only pick up INTERNALS if you are working and have a INTERNALS radio..it will log into the channel however you will pick up ZIT as it will have a key fail problem as it isnt syncd...

NOW when the analogue patch is fully removed every digital radio will need to FULLY match with the op centre and key configuration. Which is why we could still use a digital radio tuned into a channel, however because of the programming a KEY FAIL will STOP transmissions...there ARE patches to over-ride that but NOT the encryption itself...

SO mate...sorry to burst your bubble..enjoy it as you have it
its simple..yet complex
hope this made sense :wink:

oh..golly..its another one of these OH MY GOD I FOUND A WAY AROUND IT..I AM THE ALMIGHTY WAPOL DIGITAL RADIO HACKER :roll:
AV201
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by AV201 »

oh...and the GPS for handhelds (addon) ...so they can keep track of Police walking the beat. Big Brother :P

Bout to be trialed in Freo

VKI this is Foot Patrol, request toilet break..
Roger, if you take the next left and follow the path to the public toilets

:|
playworth
Banned

Post by playworth »

roger that sir.

let just see . and good luck to ur radio :)
NJ102 to VKI,where the option button on tadis.
VKI to NJ102,we dont have option button up here
grant_oz

Post by grant_oz »

AV201 wrote:oh...and the GPS for handhelds (addon) ...so they can keep track of Police walking the beat. Big Brother :P

Bout to be trialed in Freo

VKI this is Foot Patrol, request toilet break..
Roger, if you take the next left and follow the path to the public toilets

:|
I dont want get into a slanging match with you,but it can be done,for recieve only by disabling the privileged OTAR and getting into the UCM and doing some other stuff that i wont say i a open forum it works,if you try and TX then you get a key fail,if you get more than 15 key fails the radio will zeroize all keys to 0 and your stuffed.You seem to know about it as you know radio has 2 user modes number 1 is gen user 2 is for the crypto officer or tech go in thru crypto mode you get the pass when you get radio and its done,thats in simple terms missing out what you do