Prisoner Pods

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

Mikka

Prisoner Pods

Post by Mikka »

Just a quick question to see if anyone knows anything about the prisoner pods on the Police cars here. Like the paddy wagon type cars.

Have seen alot of old steel ones getting around, but the other day i saw a plastic one. Was wondering where they get fitted out, also where do all the WAPOL cars get their fit ups?

Just curious as my previous job in QLD was fitting out the QPS cars.

Cheers,
Michael
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

Appently the old PODs don't fit in the new VE Commodores and they arnt making new ones.
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

I still dont understand the VE's smaller, less powerful..........

Where as the BF are awesome :D
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

They are awesome at being parked at the Police Station whilst we are out in the VE.

The VE's crap all over the falcons!!
Mikka

Post by Mikka »

There are prisoner pods on sedans?
yorky

Post by yorky »

Mikka wrote:There are prisoner pods on sedans?
There are secure sedans yes, with the rear separated.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
Mikka

Post by Mikka »

Oh ok now i know what you mean. I was talking about the utes with the canopies on the back. The secure vans?
Tom
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Tom »

They get fitted out at a place in Wangara at J&A Metalworks ???? on Challenge Bvd, not hard to miss there was a load of new Rodeos parked on the verge opposite today.

Secure pods are the screens in the back of the VZ sedan, can't be fitted into VE's due to the air-bags...which I find a bit odd. Quite a few VZ still have them fitted, dead easy to spot from the outside as they have perspex rear pax windows and occasionally very dark tinting.
Mikka

Post by Mikka »

Cool, thanks heaps for the info.

Interesting to see how things are done differently in different states.
FS101

Post by FS101 »

Tom wrote:Secure pods are the screens in the back of the VZ sedan, can't be fitted into VE's due to the air-bags...which I find a bit odd.
They don't fit because the airbag needs sufficient space to deploy when required, fitting a screen would effectivly be like standing on a hose when water is trying to get through. Any compramise on the system isn't really safe for the officer or the person in the rear..
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

PODS arnt really that good anyway, if someone is really playing up its better to just get a cage. PODS are only good for your pissys etc.

I have seen people go off in the PODS and smash windows etc even though there is a layer of perspex over the windows.
CHEV4EVR
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by CHEV4EVR »

The pods you are talking about are Varley PODS. They are attached to the Rodeo's and Hilux and will soon become the standard secure vehicle. They are quite good but you need to remember to lock both sides, can leave you red faced putting them in one side and them leaving via the other (the doors are on the side as opposed to the back on the Ford's).
Mikka

Post by Mikka »

CHEV4EVR wrote:The pods you are talking about are Varley PODS. They are attached to the Rodeo's and Hilux and will soon become the standard secure vehicle. They are quite good but you need to remember to lock both sides, can leave you red faced putting them in one side and them leaving via the other (the doors are on the side as opposed to the back on the Ford's).
Yep they are the ones i was talking about. I used to work for Varley in Brisbane. We fitted the pods to 4x2 and 4x4 hiluxes. They are the standard secure vehicle throughout QLD.

Had a few incidents over there aswell with the locks and doors, couple of occasions not ending up so good for the police officer involved.