Laser Pointers

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

numloxx
Amateur callsign: VK6PCB

Laser Pointers

Post by numloxx »

Ch 9 segment on green laser pointers being aimed at Polai 61.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAap14lelzk
woobla1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by woobla1 »

sorry for my ignorance. But what damage does it cause to aircraft? is it just blinding to a pilot or does it cause system issues?
Toottoot
Banned

Post by Toottoot »

If the laser is powerful enough it can slice off the end of rotors.
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Nil damage to aircraft guys - it can harm the pilot and crew if the beam is directed to their eyes....

There is that youtube channel nine thing - that showed some guy lighting up a cigarette with a laser,... These are a dangerous weapon and i think should be banned - and only used by qualified and trained personel...
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
herrgott

Post by herrgott »

Polair hate it, sometimes they can't see anything but [insert colour] when it's a direct hit as the light reflects around in the cabin.

It's a Federal offence, and a $200 fine.

It's good when you can catch them in the act... just like everything else I guess.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

I own a green laser (<5mW) for astronomy classes. That's the only reason I have it. I never ever let the kids use it. I have in the past told them if they get one and shine it at an aircraft (eg a 747 with 400+ people on board) and they cause it to crash then they will be up for multiple cases of murder/manslaughter. :shock:
Clontarf[X]

Post by Clontarf[X] »

Definately agree with the new laws. Just like everything though it's useless unless they are enforced. I am sick of being tagged while im driving, it really is distracting when it reflects around the car.
jasonjag
Banned

Laser lights

Post by jasonjag »

[quote="herrgott"]Polair hate it, sometimes they can't see anything but [insert colour] when it's a direct hit as the light reflects around in the cabin.

It's a Federal offence, and a $200 fine.

It's good when you can catch them in the act... just like everything else I guess.[/quote]

$200 is a slap on the wrist.
herrgott

Post by herrgott »

Well, that goes without saying. But it's no different to any other penalty. Atleast for the most part they're consistent. Consistently and ridiculously lenient.

But that's a whole other argument.
westernwedgey
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by westernwedgey »

Another one locked up tonight from Mirrabooka District, they got the laser and the sputnik using it, vehicle on scene said they'll pass on the evidence to AFP, Polair 61 was very happy with the result...

They also got one last night.
playworth
Banned

Post by playworth »

westernwedgey wrote:Another one locked up tonight from Mirrabooka District, they got the laser and the sputnik using it, vehicle on scene said they'll pass on the evidence to AFP, Polair 61 was very happy with the result...

They also got one last night.
channel 41,so i hear was about to post,in regards to why he up and flying th polair was sick and sore?

lil kiddies look like they paying BIG fined :shock:
NJ102 to VKI,where the option button on tadis.
VKI to NJ102,we dont have option button up here
Toottoot
Banned

Post by Toottoot »

playworth wrote: channel 41,so i hear was about to post,in regards to why he up and flying th polair was sick and sore?

lil kiddies look like they paying BIG fined :shock:
Your post seems to be something about the dockers having a remarkable season ahead, perhaps you should change your username to Kenny until you learn English.
playworth
Banned

Post by playworth »

roger that dockers are great.:)

nah i mean is why is polair 61 flying.. they said he not flying for 6 weeks ?????
NJ102 to VKI,where the option button on tadis.
VKI to NJ102,we dont have option button up here