Function idea for police digital - call radio

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

yorky

Function idea for police digital - call radio

Post by yorky »

It just occurred to me, when VKI can't raise a car, especially when they are at scene (and loud places like parties and fights etc) since they use digital radios, can there be a function to 'call' their radio?

I'm guessing usually they would call their mobile but thats more time consuming than say VKI hitting a callsigns (eg) 'alert' button that say gives off a loud call sound through their radio for there attention?

edited by mod for correct spelling
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
VK6FACG

Post by VK6FACG »

It is easy to do. In a companay I used to work for, if an operator paged a radio with selcall, the radio would beep quite loudly until the PTT was used. If a worker was even some distance from the vehicle they could still here it.
playworth
Banned

Post by playworth »

VK6FACG wrote:It is easy to do. In a companay I used to work for, if an operator paged a radio with selcall, the radio would beep quite loudly until the PTT was used. If a worker was even some distance from the vehicle they could still here it.
isnt it abit like New york style radios, beeps on u portable and then dispatch calls in the job Verry loud. but other jobs u cant hear as it normal sound
NJ102 to VKI,where the option button on tadis.
VKI to NJ102,we dont have option button up here
SteveNSWP

Post by SteveNSWP »

Here in NSW we use beeps like NYPD. Here all P3 jobs are called normally. If its a P1 URGENT RESPONSE or P2 IMMEDIATE RESPONSE theres a loud "Beep, Beep" to alert cars that a P1 or P2 job is ganna be called. It gets ur attention. When we are at loud gatherings, they may try to call us a few times. They usualy just call ur callsign for a welfare check. After two or three calls they will then do a single "Beep" and then call ur callsign for a welfare check. If no response then cars are bouble beeped to check on u urgently. The beep is loud enough to hear at large gatherings or parties, and as soon as u hear it everyone tunes in. Its very effective.

Regards,

Steve.
There's no such things as stupid questions, just stupid people!
yorky

Post by yorky »

Thanks Steve, sounds like we need the same plugin in WA's system :D The amount of times cars are called to no answer is high, though with the new AVL vehicle locater system at least they know where the car is.
celestial_insight
Banned

Post by celestial_insight »

Oddly enough I was thinking of something similar recently, but without having to upgrade an existing low functional analogue two way system. I heard FESA continually calling the Rockingham Deputy recently and I assumed that he had probably turned his portable down due to the continual amount of radio traffic, ie hearing both 6AR as well as the appliances. I figured that there would sometimes be situations where someone may only need to monitor 6AR to hear if they are called, but without having to listen to the appliance replies all the time.

If 6AR could find a way to transmit on 2 CCTS frequencies at the same time on the same channel (edit - I assume they already can when they join 6AR and 6IP during winter), someone wishing to monitor 6AR only could monitor the alternate CCTS tone so their channel only opens with 6AR, not the appliances. If you are called, you could go to the normal channel and converse, then later return to the 6AR only channel if you needed less radio traffic.

Confused yet?
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

celestial_insight wrote:
If 6AR could find a way to transmit on 2 CCTS frequencies at the same time on the same channel (edit - I assume they already can when they join 6AR and 6IP during winter), someone wishing to monitor 6AR only could monitor the alternate CCTS tone so their channel only opens with 6AR, not the appliances. If you are called, you could go to the normal channel and converse, then later return to the 6AR only channel if you needed less radio traffic.

Confused yet?
All well and good until you're in a hurry and forget to change the channel.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

celestial_insight wrote: I figured that there would sometimes be situations where someone may only need to monitor 6AR to hear if they are called, but without having to listen to the appliance replies all the time.
If 6AR need to talk to someone and the appliance they want to talk to isn't responding, so they might selcall them. Sounds like this:

http://vk6hgr.echidna.id.au/sound/selcall.wav

Each appliance has a unique Selcall number. It will cause the radio to beep and might even be connected to the vehicle's lights/siren to draw attention.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
Toottoot
Banned

Post by Toottoot »

You never hear the pips on the radio though. This is despite operators calling and calling. It seems like they just try the mobile phone.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

vk6hgr wrote:
celestial_insight wrote: I figured that there would sometimes be situations where someone may only need to monitor 6AR to hear if they are called, but without having to listen to the appliance replies all the time.
If 6AR need to talk to someone and the appliance they want to talk to isn't responding, so they might selcall them. Sounds like this:

Each appliance has a unique Selcall number. It will cause the radio to beep and might even be connected to the vehicle's lights/siren to draw attention.
Interesting to actually here the selcall for a radio. I had previously asked a career fire fighter and from what I remember he said it set the siren off for a brief moment but if that went unanswered the siren went longer, changed tones and used the air horns on the pump etc. Will confirm with him next time I see him, unless someone else can confirm.
Edit: putting this into relation of the topic, this could be an option, provided the police officers haven't chased the crim too far away from the vehicle! :P :lol:
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
yorky

Post by yorky »

Well since the portables (police) are tied into the call sign as well they should be about to beep as well :)
rambler318

Post by rambler318 »

Tyranus wrote:
vk6hgr wrote:

Interesting to actually here the selcall for a radio. I had previously asked a career fire fighter and from what I remember he said it set the siren off for a brief moment but if that went unanswered the siren went longer, changed tones and used the air horns on the pump etc. Will confirm with him next time I see him, unless someone else can confirm.
Edit: putting this into relation of the topic, this could be an option, provided the police officers haven't chased the crim too far away from the vehicle! :P :lol:
Selcall is available to all appliance's. However there are many variations to what is activated due to the different siren systems. Once activated most appliance lights and sirens will activate and continue to do so until the call is ack'd.
playworth
Banned

Post by playworth »

vk6hgr wrote:
that true, once joondalup was showing off there gear at wanneroo depot for the wanneroo BFB open day,and as they were showing it the lights and sirens woop woop,same as BFB pagers.
NJ102 to VKI,where the option button on tadis.
VKI to NJ102,we dont have option button up here
CHEV4EVR
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by CHEV4EVR »

Personally I don't see the point. It doesn't provide any extra safety and is intrusive to your day to day duties. I can picture a number of situations where a beeping radio would have a detrimental effect on some jobs you do out there.

What needs to be remembered is that VKI does not run the show. They are there to support operational officers doing their job, not the other way around. That means if you are on the road you determine whether or not you are available to answer the radio.

At the end of the day if they need you and can't raise you on the radio then a call to your mobile is a hell of a lot cheaper and less annoying.
Lucas_arts_182

Post by Lucas_arts_182 »

how is it cheaper and why give them radios if their not going to answer them, if their busy then let VKI know that dont just ignore them because they will send a veichle to assist you and waist other peoples time