info on WAPOL please

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

cmg2perth

info on WAPOL please

Post by cmg2perth »

Hi guys,

I'm joining WAPOL very shortly - have been accepted (from another country) and would like to ask if you guys could throw up any useful info here.

For example:

1) job codes / call signs (I have seen a thread about it but would like an up to date list if anyone has it). I would like to study it before I go and anything else recommended (it's always better to be a step ahead, makes life easier).

2) any info at all about the WAPOL academy in Joondalup (I've seen the website) does anyone have pics? Any other info about the academy and training? (anything at all).

3) costs of living in Perth

i.e. How much is a can of coke? (not that I drink it, but this will give me some basic idea of costs)

How much for a beer at pub? (I do drink that).

How much is a 1 bedroom flat or studio unit / room in Perth? (for the first six months I will be there alone)

What is the tax rate for income? i.e. as a recruit on $38,000 (I think that's it) how much do I take home after tax per week?

Transport: are there trains to and from Joondalup to Perth? how much do they cost? do they run 24hrs?

People: are they friendly? (generally speaking) - a hard question to answer most likely.

I've googled quite a bit on various things but still have a lot more to learn.

Any info at all will be greatly appreciated.

thanks a lot.
munchkin1981
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Re: info on WAPOL please

Post by munchkin1981 »

cmg2perth wrote:Hi guys,

I'm joining WAPOL very shortly - have been accepted (from another country) and would like to ask if you guys could throw up any useful info here.

For example:

1) job codes / call signs (I have seen a thread about it but would like an up to date list if anyone has it). I would like to study it before I go and anything else recommended (it's always better to be a step ahead, makes life easier).

2) any info at all about the WAPOL academy in Joondalup (I've seen the website) does anyone have pics? Any other info about the academy and training? (anything at all).

i.e. How much is a can of coke? (not that I drink it, but this will give me some basic idea of costs)

How much is a 1 bedroom flat or studio unit / room in Perth? (for the first six months I will be there alone)

What is the tax rate for income? i.e. as a recruit on $38,000 (I think that's it) how much do I take home after tax per week?

Transport: are there trains to and from Joondalup to Perth? how much do they cost? do they run 24hrs?

People: are they friendly? (generally speaking) - a hard question to answer most likely.

I've googled quite a bit on various things but still have a lot more to learn.

Any info at all will be greatly appreciated.

thanks a lot.

i.e. How much is a can of coke? (not that I drink it, but this will give me some basic idea of costs) that verys some charge about $1-$2.00

How much for a beer at pub? (I do drink that). cant help(altho cartons to take home is much easier option)

How much is a 1 bedroom flat or studio unit / room in Perth? (for the first six months I will be there alone) that also verys depends where egsacly l in Perth you want try www.reiwa.com.au )

What is the tax rate for income? i.e. as a recruit on $38,000 (I think that's it) how much do I take home after tax per week? again not sure try tax dept they can send you the info

Transport: are there trains to and from Joondalup to Perth? how much do they cost? do they run 24hrs? yes there is trains to joondalup no they dont run 24hrs and costs are depending if right in city or where your coming from try www.transperth.wa.gov.au

People: are they friendly? (generally speaking) - a hard question to answer most likely. YES everyo0ne on here is anyway

and welcome to the forum and hopefully you like perth !
It wasn't me honest.....it was the cat I'm sweet and innocent one :)
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Wow munch some of that was quite hard to understand, been drinking again?? :P

The cost of things may appear more or less expensive depending on where you come from. Cokes as was mentioned are around 1.20 to 2.00.
Beers depending on what you drink and where you drink about $5.
Real estate check out the reiwa link that was provided.
I'll say yes, most people you can stop in the street and ask them for directions or help getting somewhere and they'll help you.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Information is best found from here on WAPOL.

http://www.police.wa.gov.au/
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
Toottoot
Banned

Post by Toottoot »

If you are only making $38000 a year you might want to look for a flat in Armadale, Kwinana or Rockingham. $38k is about $730 a week less about $160 in tax if youve got a TFN. So you probably wont be able to afford to go to the pub in Perth and you might be elligible for a Health Care Card and be able to shop at the disadvantaged peoples supermarkets. It depends on your dependants and the rules for immigrunts. You might be able to get a second job doing security or even an apprenticeship to make more money.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

cmg2perth wrote:2) any info at all about the WAPOL academy in Joondalup (I've seen the website) does anyone have pics? Any other info about the academy and training? (anything at all).
From what I've seen when I went to the first Open Day, it's very modern and very nice :)

The academy is next door to Joondalup TAFE (college) and the Joondalup campus of Edith Cowan University. I think it was designed so that the three learning environments all complement each other and kind-of merge together.

You can see the academy on Google Maps here.

People have posted a few pics on here over the years, try having a search through the Pictures and WAPOL sections of the board and see if you can find any threads with the photos.

One of my favourite areas was the "scenario village" :)
cmg2perth wrote:3) costs of living in Perth

Good questions. I guess it's the only easy way to gauge the costs of living... Here's a few common items:

Pint of beer in a pub: Around $6-$8
Coke: If you wait for them to come on special at the supermarket, you can get cartons of Coke for around 50c a can. Normal price is probably just under $1 a can. If you buy a can from a shop with your lunch, etc expect to pay around $2 a can ... ish :)

In fact, why not just browse the online catalogue of Woolworths, it'll give you an idea of the prices of regular grocery items and stuff...
cmg2perth wrote:What is the tax rate for income? i.e. as a recruit on $38,000 (I think that's it) how much do I take home after tax per week?
Income tax is in brackets. On a salary of $38,000 per year, you'd pay roughly $6,600 in tax (and take home $31,400 of course :) )

The tax rates are (per year):

$1 – $6,000 - Nil
$6,001 – $30,000 - 15c for each $1 over $6,000
$30,001 – $75,000 - $3,600 plus 30c for each $1 over $30,000
$75,001 – $150,000 - $17,100 plus 40c for each $1 over $75,000
$150,001 and over - $47,100 plus 45c for each $1 over $150,000

Medicare (our version of the NHS) is also taken from income tax.

If you're looking for a cure for insomnia, you can read the stuff on the Australian Taxation Office's website here...
cmg2perth wrote:Transport: are there trains to and from Joondalup to Perth? how much do they cost? do they run 24hrs?
Yep, one of the train lines runs to Joondalup (and a bit beyond). You can check out our public transport system by going here. A cash fare from Joondalup to Perth would cost $4.20 and take about 25 minutes or so.

Tickets are transferable between buses, trains and the ferry, and last for 2 hours. There's also an electronic ticketing system called SmartRider which offers a 15 to 25 % discount on the cash fares and uses a smart card system where you tag on and tag off as you use each service. Saves stuffing around with ticket machines and change :)
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Cloverfield
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Cloverfield »

cmg2perth wrote: Transport: are there trains to and from Joondalup to Perth? how much do they cost? do they run 24hrs?
If you are carrying a badge/warrant card you have free transport... im pretty sure you get that almost strait away as you are a sworn officer from day one... I could be wrong about when you get your warrant card...
Styles can be applied quickly to selected text! meh!
Donga
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Donga »

cmg2perth from what I have heard they do have limited accomodation availabe at the academy for intenational recruits. I would suggest contacting the academy (there details would be on there web page) and ask about it.
cmg2perth

Post by cmg2perth »

Thanks guys for all of the info and advice. Some of the links were also very helpful.

I'll keep checking this site in case more info comes to hand, but yes, I have a lot of googling, websurfing etc. to do in the meantime.

thanks
woobla1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by woobla1 »

The people probably have a little more respect for police , authority than if your coming from the UK

but having said that, we like all english speaking countries have a higher proportion of dickheads then other countries on a per head basis.

Perth people are generally more racist, and redneck then most other states, maybe except darwin/ n.t

(though this msg will probably get deleted) it is my view. and the state has no culture what so ever. Its like a big boring country town.
HEKTIK
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by HEKTIK »

Off Topic, woobla1 are you originally from Perth?
Perth Online Police Scanner

http://waix.net:8000

RIP
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

woobla1 wrote: (though this msg will probably get deleted) it is my view. and the state has no culture what so ever. Its like a big boring country town.
Each to their own... I think like everything in life, Perth is what you make of it. It can either be dullsvielle or it can be very pleasant. I like it as there isn't the rush that's present in Sydney and Melbourne, but it's still big enough to have big Metal bands coming to play, like Iron Maiden and Trivium etc. I have my hobbies and they keep me busy.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
silent_wingz

Post by silent_wingz »

This is quite a good document if you haven't seen it already...

http://www.policeacademy.edu.au/images/ ... ackage.pdf
JG101

Post by JG101 »

As a Sworn Officer you get free public transport on any transperth service, just show your badge - It's an agreement we have with the PTA.

I was earning about $1200 after tax a fortnight when I was a Recruit at the Academy so you'll be getting around about that.

Don't worry to much about the job codes mate, with the in-car computers we have now it makes learning them off by heart almost obsolete now hey :P though you still get to know your common ones (Domestics/Disturbances/Burgs etc).

Lets say for a 229:
The first number is the priority level of response required which for a General Duties copper is gonna be either priority 1,2,3 or 4. In this case priority 2 has been authorised so lights and sirens for this job. (P1 and P2 are lights and sirens).

The next 2 numbers are the actual job code itself and could be anything so really nowadays the most important number is the first one because the computer or VKI will tell you what the job is before you get assigned to it (usually :P).

The Academy itself is good fun, in my opinion probably the hardest part of your career and it's a bit like going back to high school sometimes. But just slug through it because it gets a million times better once you've graduated and you're doin it all for real. :)

Hope that helps
:D
JG101
cmg2perth

Post by cmg2perth »

Thanks for the info guys :wink: