WAPOL Fequencies Still Alive?

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

Lucas_arts_182

Post by Lucas_arts_182 »

now now , and i will quote you " ME YOU MSN, NOW!!"
burgo88

Post by burgo88 »

hey guys im new just got a scanner from ebay its a radioshack pro71 are they good? I cant seem to get any talking i can type a frequency in and all i get is morse code sounds lol. Im from cannington just wondering what a exact frequency is so i can snoop lol cheers
beginner
yorky

Post by yorky »

burgo88 wrote:hey guys im new just got a scanner from ebay its a radioshack pro71 are they good? I cant seem to get any talking i can type a frequency in and all i get is morse code sounds lol. Im from cannington just wondering what a exact frequency is so i can snoop lol cheers
Welcome to the site. Firstly ignore idiot-like comments from some colourful caractors around here as of late.

Now how exactly are you entering the frequencies, and what frequencies are you adding?
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
burgo88

Post by burgo88 »

iv got it now mate i think it was quiet when i tried earlier
theres alot of info on this site that helped cheers to the peolpe that
created it :)

so is there a channel specially for cannington cop shop?

im thinking maybe 468.8750?? alot of licence checks but also general talk :S
beginner
VK6FACG

Post by VK6FACG »

Channel 2 (467.875) and Channel 8 (468.025) are southern metro, covering Cannington etc for general tasking.
burgo88

Post by burgo88 »

cheers mate, so are there many police officers on this website?
beginner
yorky

Post by yorky »

burgo88 wrote:cheers mate, so are there many police officers on this website?
Yes, several :)
burgo88

Post by burgo88 »

oh ok. Lol can scanners be tracked?
And just to clear this up is there such thing as a black mark against a numberplate where cops pick on you. Not that my plate does just some friends seem to think that
beginner
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

burgo88 wrote:oh ok. Lol can scanners be tracked?
As in, can people find out you're listening to them? No. (Technically, yes if they're very close to you (IF frequency tracking) but it's extremely unlikely)
And just to clear this up is there such thing as a black mark against a numberplate where cops pick on you. Not that my plate does just some friends seem to think that
Lol. The kind of people I know who say things like that say the police are picking on them...are probably imagining it. Of course it has nothing to do with the fact that their license is perpetually fine suspended and/or their car is unregistered and they keep driving the darn thing! :wink:
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
yorky

Post by yorky »

Scanners tracked, no. Scanners receive only and to track something they really need to transmit. (I'm sure someone will prove me wrong and state that even though its a receiver only it still emits something blah blah EDIT: ^ hehe).

Black mark? Doubt it. Police have only had TADIS (data screens) in cars for what, less than 2 years now? And during that 2 years its been in roll out phase its only been in the last few months that most vehicles actually have them.

Obviously if they run you up while driving and theres dodgy details about you etc they will investigate. Or ie the owner of the vehicle has a suspended license etc etc, theres always a reason. If its an officers hunch then it can just be an RBT to check you out. If you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to worry about. Also remember having a scanner on you is not illegal.
Clontarf[X]

Post by Clontarf[X] »

What yorky said. If the car/plates are known to the local district you will probably find your mate is pulled over a lot. You may also find that the plates/vehicle used to belong to a POI, as was the case with me.

As for scanners being detected, that is only possible if it transmits a signal. If your scanner is purely receiver only (i.e not a transceiver) you should be fine. That being said also, it is not illegal to use a scanner as far as I know in WA so nothing to fear in any case.

Pretty sure the only time it is illegal to use a scanner is when used in the process of crime or to avoid prosecution? Someone correct me if I am wrong?
yorky

Post by yorky »

Clontarf[X] wrote:Pretty sure the only time it is illegal to use a scanner is when used in the process of crime or to avoid prosecution? Someone correct me if I am wrong?
Yes and 'technically' its something similar to 'you cannot act on information heard' though this would only apply to the appropriate government etc channels. Acting on information from a CB radio isn't exactly cared about :P
Clontarf[X]

Post by Clontarf[X] »

"Cops! Cops! Cops!"

burgo88

Post by burgo88 »

oh ok guys cheers yeah i wondered my self because i own a show car and drive it, i still got 12 points so maybe thats why i don get pulled over. My mate has a much more stock car but yeah he has 2 points left so that could explain it lol. Vls are bogan cars i guess lol. Glad im not going um be done listening to the scanner then. Its pretty interesting
beginner