police chase protocol

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

woobla

police chase protocol

Post by woobla »

so I have been looking over the threads + the youtube channel 7 story about how the wapol will be given more latitude when it comes to chases/ revised procedures

What has happened, and can anyone offer any more detail as to if they have changed yet? or in the process of?

because when I listen alls it sounds like is that some inspector is sitting around, telling his children to be careful, like the guys in the cars cant figure out for themselves what speed, and conditions a chase should be aborted at etc.. and what speed they can go up to etc. I understand when the adrenalin kicks in, but if a chase is being led by a priority driver then shouldnt he/she be able to be trusted enough to sort it out?

Its a bit silly that they almost have to be given permission to turn on their lights and sirens.
playworth
Banned

Post by playworth »

ok let say i was chasing you and i called it in and then got told to abort. so i do and then u crash into a pole and mayb died. it not gunnna be police fault because he wasnt chasing....

i dunno jst what i think.. it good that they asked permission To do P1/P2.
NJ102 to VKI,where the option button on tadis.
VKI to NJ102,we dont have option button up here
woobla

Post by woobla »

yes but then why should they feel bad if he is breaking the law?. In the US they rarely ever abandon a pursuit regardless of the outcome (and usually a pretty bad one at the). I am not saying its good to keep every one going, but the cops on the street should be given the chance if they believe it should go ahead. I mean an inspector cant see anything from his chair. So I was wondering what the new guidelines have to say about them?
playworth
Banned

Post by playworth »

well they only chase if 1 detla boys are all it...(waves to walks) and 2 polair in the sky and 3 if K9 around as well... dude in USA newz choppers already flying above...USA coppers dont give damn in who you are they still cuff you if your 13yo and doing sumthing that not even high rise :shock:
NJ102 to VKI,where the option button on tadis.
VKI to NJ102,we dont have option button up here
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

on this. in america its up to the officer chasing to determine when to abort.
herbie1204

Post by herbie1204 »

I think one key phrase springs to mind........duty of care. Having listened to chases before when speed and traffic conditions are announced by the driver performing the pursuit, the duty inspector is obviously listening in the background and possibly deciding what is safe and what is not safe.

That is just an observation.
Ausrob
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ausrob »

When a chase involving Polair 61 is involved from what I'm told live footage is beemed to VKI so they can see the chase in real time. Obviously if it because dangerous they can use FLIR and they cars can drop back.
Lucas_arts_182

Post by Lucas_arts_182 »

the hole idea about the duty inspector calling the shots is because hes not in the middle of it and he has a clear head to make the right decisions. but i think the driver should have an idea on wether or not its safe to chase, they know their abilitys and would know the area pritty well , and when a POI crashes its their fault , not the cops , their just doing their job and if its not worth dieing for then PULL OVER , im pritty sure this isnt new but last time i checked the cop give you a chance to pull over befor they call it in .... , am i right or am i right ???
the POI crahses the car not the cops , and the POI holds all the cards in a pursuit so you cant blame the cops when shit hits the fan

The way i think of it is , A cop is chasing a POI down a main road , at about 100km/h , the duty inspector orders the abort of the chase , so the guy gets away and later that week , he breaks into your house and steals your possetions.
but on the way out your daughter comes home just as hes leaving , hes high and panics so he bashes he and bails.
then off to cashys to sell you belongings so he can get more drug money, while your daughter is in hospital.

the cops wouldnt chase if it wasnt worth it, theres a reason that people that run need to be locked up
westernwedgey
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by westernwedgey »

Another reason (apart from the ones already mentioned) that VKI ask for all the information to be kept up to date on a car chase, its being recorded and can be used as evidence in court or for an investigation (protocols/procedures) if things turn bad.

Some pursuing cops DO ABORT the chase themselves without being asked to do so by VKI.
Avtur50_exVet

Pursuits

Post by Avtur50_exVet »

Well now I have read some real rubbish, Of course you have to have control over the pursuit by someone of authority, not even a fighter pilot has the run of the skies he is controlled by a controller.
I am pleased that someone of authority controls the pursuits at least we have a chance of staying alive , go up to VKI and stand in the operators place when a Pursuit is called.
Pat
I'm an ex Serviceman Viet Vet Ret'd

Honour The Dead
Fight Like Hell For The Living
Toottoot
Banned

Re: Pursuits

Post by Toottoot »

Avtur50_exVet wrote:Well now I have read some real rubbish, Of course you have to have control over the pursuit by someone of authority, not even a fighter pilot has the run of the skies he is controlled by a controller.
I am pleased that someone of authority controls the pursuits at least we have a chance of staying alive , go up to VKI and stand in the operators place when a Pursuit is called.
Pat
Pat, thanks for your comments. Its a bit edgy around here at the moment as there have been some psycho nuts posting of not too late causing all sorts of flaming wars which I can only assume have ended in tears.

Telling someone that their thoughts are "real rubbish" could lead to them being offended so it may be better to say that you don't agree with the comments then state why.

Thanks for contributing.
Avtur50_exVet

My apologies

Post by Avtur50_exVet »

Now what I said was not pointing at the comments of any individual I was making a clear cut statement.

Having a great deal to do with the Police in general my family and a few of my mates being coppers living and deceased.

I know all about heartbreaks.

Anyway I apoplogise if the context of the thread was misinterpretted.
as far as I am concerned this matter is finalised.
Pat
I'm an ex Serviceman Viet Vet Ret'd

Honour The Dead
Fight Like Hell For The Living
SteveNSWP

Post by SteveNSWP »

Here in NSW we dont ask for permission to engage in a pursuit. If I was working and come across a stolen car, i just call "Lake 35 Urgent in pursuit" radio asks, "Lake 35 ur speed, location and traffic." We reply something like, "100 over 80, blah blah blah." Radio then asks, "Driver certifiction and vehicle category." We reply, "Lake 35, silver certified driver, cat 1 vehicle." Radio goes "Beep...all cars clear the air, lake 35's in pusuit...Lake 35 only" We then call it, regularly updating the location, speed and traffic conditions. The Duty Inspector, shift supervisor, duty officer and any gold certified driver has supervision over the pursuit. Generally most pursuits run here. Only if it appears dangerous do we terminate. We can reach any speed, although speed and traffic conditions is a huge factor in the continuation of any pursuit. I have self terminated a few, as unfortunately it doesn't work how some ppl think it does. If they get killed during a police operation, its a death in custody and we are seperated, interviewed asap without any access to legal advice, blood tested etc. It would be good if like in the states if the shitbag dies, life goes on with a minimum of fuss.

Personally, i think its good having a duty inspector that is objective monitoring the pursuit. Most inspectors have a wealth of knowledge and although some make some poor decisions re pursuits at times, they do a good job. Here they also take perticular note of the officers voice. If they sense that u are succumbing to the excitment of it all they will call "terminate". U definately need someone whose not there and not affected by it all to monitor all aspects of the pursuit.

Steve.
There's no such things as stupid questions, just stupid people!
Lucas_arts_182

Post by Lucas_arts_182 »

yeah over here its a bit similar , heres an example

NX101: NX101 to VKI URGENT
VKI: Go ahead NX101
NX101: We are in pursuite of a VY commodore , white in colour. rego is 1ABC 234 ,vehicle specs and drive qualifacations are Class 1 vehicle Priority 2 driver and regamentle is 12345
VKI: Priority 2 granted 23:55
NX101: Roger, We are heading North on Wanneroo rd with a cross street of pinjar rd our speed is 100km/h zone is 70km/h and traffic is light to medium density and weather conditions are dry/good.
VKI: ABORT PURSUITE NX101 re. duty inspector

although not all of them are like that ..... most of them are
Bobby
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Bobby »

SteveNSWP wrote:Here they also take perticular note of the officers voice. If they sense that u are succumbing to the excitment of it all they will call "terminate". U definately need someone whose not there and not affected by it all to monitor all aspects of the pursuit.
I think that the same thing happens here. I have noticed a few times when the officer has sounded a bit excited, or even super stressed, they have been told to abort.

As a scanner listener, it can be really frustrating, because you get caught up in 'the thrill of the chase' too.(which is probably coming from the officers voice) But as you say, the DI, with all of their experience, are sitting there being subjective, and realise that it is probably getting dangerous.