Motorbikes/Patrol Car Setups

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Motorbikes/Patrol Car Setups

Post by Tyranus »

This is for all the questions we might want answered on these particular vehicles.

Ok I'll start:

I've seen numerous police bikes parked in behind cars on the highways and freeways, presumably some would be speed related. Do the motorbikes have radars fitted or do they have their own radar's, or do you just match speed and book them at that speed??
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Toottoot
Banned

Post by Toottoot »

I have seen the bikes sitting on bridges and overpasses with the motorcycle officers using hand held speed guns.
westernwedgey
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by westernwedgey »

That's correct, there is usually 2 bikes on Graham Farmer freeway south just passed the Belmont racecourse in the mornings using the hand held blow driers (speed guns). Seen numerous times there, if not weekly.
donks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by donks »

westernwedgey wrote:That's correct, there is usually 2 bikes on Graham Farmer freeway south just passed the Belmont racecourse in the mornings using the hand held blow driers (speed guns). Seen numerous times there, if not weekly.

i see them on Roe Hwy also. they usually sit under the Karel Ave overpass.
People call me an "Egotistic Jackass"... I prefer the term "Confident Donkey" --->Donks for short
Toottoot
Banned

Re: Motorbikes/Patrol Car Setups

Post by Toottoot »

Tyranus wrote:This is for all the questions we might want answered on these particular vehicles.

Ok I'll start:

I've seen numerous police bikes parked in behind cars on the highways and freeways, presumably some would be speed related. Do the motorbikes have radars fitted or do they have their own radar's, or do you just match speed and book them at that speed??
I'm not sure if matching them at speed then booking them would hold up as evidence in court unless the vehicle has some sort of calibrated speedometer. Interesting though.
Tyranus

Post by Tyranus »

Toottoot wrote:
Tyranus wrote:This is for all the questions we might want answered on these particular vehicles.

Ok I'll start:

I'm not sure if matching them at speed then booking them would hold up as evidence in court unless the vehicle has some sort of calibrated speedometer. Interesting though.
I dunno that's why I asked, I saw in the NZ Hwy Patrol ages back a cop did that in a car then pulled the guy over, probably took off a couple of K's for benefit of doubt/calibration differences. There was more to the story, thats why I asked if that was what danny and his boys do.
Stirling SES
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
Kombi

Post by Kombi »

Tyranus wrote:
Toottoot wrote:

Ok I'll start:

I dunno that's why I asked, I saw in the NZ Hwy Patrol ages back a cop did that in a car then pulled the guy over, probably took off a couple of K's for benefit of doubt/calibration differences. There was more to the story, thats why I asked if that was what danny and his boys do.
They have on Mike Bikes a special compartment with thick padding to store thier laser guns in,,I often see them hiding in in pairs near Crimea St Morley in Driscol way behind the trees, ive asked how they dont get damaged or out of calibration and i was shown that..
earmuff man

Post by earmuff man »

Toottoot wrote:

Ok I'll start:

yer mate we can its called a speed check. normally get up to there speed and drop a few km's (depends on your speed/there speed) all these factors come into it, officer just has to use common sense.
Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

Why are they sometimes in pairs and sometimes on their own, are the pair ups rookies?
Jared
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Jared »

Iv seen it in the highway patrol cars and highway motorbikes they have their own built in radar, on the cars it sits just on the dash board with a little LCD display that shows the speed reading. Its virtually the same with the highway bikes, but it sits on the sideish of the bike and there is a little LCD Display with all the normal gauges speeds, rpm's fuel etc.

Im not talkin about all bikes and cars but iv seen 3 cars with them and 1 bike with it.
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

Gladiator wrote:Why are they sometimes in pairs and sometimes on their own, are the pair ups rookies?
Good question why is that?
danny
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by danny »

Police bikes are Honda's St1100P or St1300P. The P stands for Police pack, the bikes get a calibrated speedo, bigger battery etc etc.

The speedo has increments every 2 kilometers, instead of the 5 km increment on normal bikes.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

Interesting, thanks!!

(That's one of the great things about this forum, when these little nuggets of information are posted that you just wouldn't ever know otherwise :) )
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Tyranus

Post by Tyranus »

Zebedee wrote:Interesting, thanks!!

(That's one of the great things about this forum, when these little nuggets of information are posted that you just wouldn't ever know otherwise :) )
Agreed.
Stirling SES
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

Had to take them off.
Last edited by dazla on Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.